Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 06:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That is not going to help in a ROW HOUSE which is attached. The smoke will still seep into the neighbors windows, front and back doors. Look at the picture to see what a row house looks like.

These people should have ASKED if they were so anti smoking if any of their neighbors smoked before they bought it. Buy a non-smoking CONDO unit instead. These row homes are the same as a single family home.

Should smoking be illegal in a single family home? How about outside smoking if the homes are very close to each other? People are totally going over the top with this today. They make it seem like they are going to die from some contagious disease like Ebola.
It is indeed getting ridiculous. I live in a condo and I am a smoker, as are my nextdoor neighbors. Since we both smoke outside sometimes when the window is open you get a whiff. My wife being a non-smoker hates the smell, but she doesn't make a fuss. Hell my neighbors have a chiminea on their patio and usually get a fire going in the spring and fall and we love it! Not sure if the HOA approves, but I ain't complaining. And if any of the busy bodies do complain I will gladly have my neighbor's back. Too many busy bodies and control freaks nowadays!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 06:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
I live in a condo and never smell cigarette smoke. Occasionally I'll catch a whiff of some reefer but that doesn't bother me. What does bother is some of the cooking I smell. My next door neighbor cooks with alot of garlic (or something similar) and it stinks up my apartment pretty bad sometimes. Not much I can do about it but light up a cigarette. Maybe I'll take up cigars.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Lived in a row house back in the 80's with a bunch of other folks. Everyone living there was in a band or the music business in some fashion. Then we had some yuppie neighbors who moved in next door and started constantly complaining about band practices and our monster sound system that blasted out righteous punk pretty much 24/7. We told 'em to f-off but they got the authorities involved. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?

Old 03-13-2015, 09:22 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Lived in a row house back in the 80's with a bunch of other folks. Everyone living there was in a band or the music business in some fashion. Then we had some yuppie neighbors who moved in next door and started constantly complaining about band practices and our monster sound system that blasted out righteous punk pretty much 24/7. We told 'em to f-off but they got the authorities involved. Whatever happened to freedom of speech?
You know I'm about as easy-going when it comes to loud music as it comes. Growing up with the original hard rock bands even at my age, I still love it. But free speech has nothing to do with 24/7 blasting of music. How do you know your neighbors didn't have a small infant or perhaps a sick family member? Maybe they worked nights and slept days? But instead of finding out the reason and compromise you tell them to F off. I'd have called the authorities too. Your selfishness is showing through.....

Old 03-13-2015, 09:45 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
But free speech has nothing to do with 24/7 blasting of music.
Yes it does. It's all about our freedom.

And we were there first.

And those yuppies should have done their homework before choosing to move in next to us.

And to us the music was neither loud nor obnoxious; they were obviously just psychotic whining haters. They should have just moved.

(I think I've covered all the bases)

Old 03-13-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Their FREEDOM said they could move where they did.

Quote:
And we were there first.
In other words...the childish response, neener neener neener

Quote:
And those yuppies should have done their homework before choosing to move in next to us.
Maybe they did? Maybe they bought what they could afford, or in a neighborhood close to work.

Quote:
And to us the music was neither loud nor obnoxious; they were obviously just psychotic whining haters. They should have just moved.
Why didn't you move?

Quote:
Let's see...

And as far as base covering... I think I nailed it in my first post. Selfish.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:

And we were there first.

I'm a musician myself and enjoy playing my instruments any time night or day. But if I play at night after 8:00 PM or so I make sure I play softly enough so the neighbors can't hear it. Anyone that plays loud music 24/7 and keeps the neighbors from being able to sleep is a raving @sshole and deserves to be stomped into the ground.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:57 AM

There ya go! I'd welcome you to my neighborhood, and you'd probably see me setting outside enjoying listening to your music! Might even ask you to "turn it up some"..

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The neighbors are gentrifiers while the subject is a long time, multi-generation, resident.
I agree with this. Anytime wealthier people move into a neighborhood that is either transitioning or has almost transitioned but still has some vestiges of older, less affluent persons, it seems a few of the gentrifiers b * tch and moan and cause some strife. I was just speaking with some friends about this phenomenon, how lower to middle in come people and working class are much nicer than affluent people. They are willing to accept some bad habits and aren't as judgmental and they get along in life versus someone who gets a little money and thinks they can go wherever they want and make people do what they want them to do all the time. It is pretty sickening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, the part that is the issue isn't HIS home. His home shares a wall and apparently it isn't sealed very well. If you are in a condition where your smoking can leak through a shared wall than its a problem. . .

if the man wants to smoke, he should at the very least be responsible in ensuring he doesn't poison people through the wall.
Personally I think this response is a bunch of crap. If they had a thorough inpspection done that lasted a couple hours (I invest in real estate and have bought quite a few properties and all of them have had inspections. A good inspeciton should last at least 1.5-2 hours) they should have smelled the smoke if it was a "24/7 smoke filled environment."

This man's mother worked 3 jobs and bought this house for her family and I for one am happy that they have kept the home in the family as it is probably worth 5 times as much as his mom bought it for back in the day with the way the DC market is right now. It is a good deal of equity and due to the increases in value, I'm sure the taxes are exponentially higher than they used to be. The man said he is on disability. Most people on disability on average take home $700-$1200 a month. DC is an expensive city. Why should this man have to fix things that are not causing him any harm in his own home.

If this truly is an issue with the shared wall, there are many avenues the yuppie gentrifying couple can use to shore up their end of the wall, including putting some good insulation in there along with installing an air purifier to lessen the smoke effect. When you move to quarters that share walls, you will be exposed to the lives of your neighbors. This is on the new home owners IMO, not someone who has owned the home for 50 years who was there before they got there and didn't have any problems.

And what if the guy does go ahead and fix the issue and then the yuppie gentrifiers still smell the smoke. Will they sue him again? Keep him in court forever because they want to control what he and his family and his guest do inside their own quarters. This is just ridiculous and I truly do feel it is a classist issue going on.

And FWIW, I have asthma and am VERY sensitive to smoke. My husband does smoke but I make him smoke outside anyone who co mes over has to smoke outside and in the backyard because I don't want to smell smoke on my porch. But I have lived in townhome apartments and I have been subjected to the smoke and noise of neighbors, but you know what - I dealt with it and stayed in other rooms, closed doors, and bought an air purifier to lessen the smell. I also saved my money and moved to a house instead of an apartment or townhome sort of place as I now know that it is not a good idea for me to share walls with others.

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Okay, the part that is the issue isn't HIS home. His home shares a wall and apparently it isn't sealed very well. If you are in a condition where your smoking can leak through a shared wall than its a problem. . .

if the man wants to smoke, he should at the very least be responsible in ensuring he doesn't poison people through the wall.
By the same argument the smoker should be able to control what the neighbor does in their house. Better not cook anything with say garlic or onions, that might offend the neighbor. And for danged sure better not have any beans and eggs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies