Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,405 times

Advertisements

Sweden is somewhat unique in Europe because it was the most reluctant to join the EU. It is also traditionally more culturally isolated from mainland Europe. Unlike France or England, none of the Scandinavian countries have a millenial history of uniterrupted nationhood and relative geograhic stability- various Scandinavian kings have controlled Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland throughout their histories. Sweden does have a tradition of immigrants though it isn't as great as some other European countries such as the UK or France. Some German and Eastern European immigrants, as an example: Max von Sydow, and Swedish has some German loan-words.

States in the US don't have much to do anymore with a person's identity. The Civil War is long over and most people would be reluctant to identify themselves by the state they live in, we Americans are too mobile for that and we've had alot of shared national identity in the last 125 years since that war. Maybe some people out in California or Texas, two states with a great deal of self-importance. But otherwise people come and go, and maybe at most people identify a bit with their region: southerner, northeasterner being two glaring examples... but we don't identify with our states on the whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Sweden is somewhat unique in Europe because it was the most reluctant to join the EU. It is also traditionally more culturally isolated from mainland Europe. Unlike France or England, none of the Scandinavian countries have a millenial history of uniterrupted nationhood and relative geograhic stability- various Scandinavian kings have controlled Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland throughout their histories. Sweden does have a tradition of immigrants though it isn't as great as some other European countries such as the UK or France. Some German and Eastern European immigrants, as an example: Max von Sydow, and Swedish has some German loan-words.

States in the US don't have much to do anymore with a person's identity. The Civil War is long over and most people would be reluctant to identify themselves by the state they live in, we Americans are too mobile for that and we've had alot of shared national identity in the last 125 years since that war. Maybe some people out in California or Texas, two states with a great deal of self-importance. But otherwise people come and go, and maybe at most people identify a bit with their region: southerner, northeasterner being two glaring examples... but we don't identify with our states on the whole.
Interesting points. Out here in the West, (the only place I've ever lived) there is a bit of "California"-consciousness (It IS an enormously varied place, and does have quite a place in the "ethos" of our national culture)...but, beyond that, I do detect a definite strong sense or regionalism. There's quite a different 'take' on things, for example, between N and S. California----between humid, populated, Western Oregon/Washington and their dryer, emptier "inland" halves--between the Great Basin and more populated parts. There is also somewhat of a 'disconnect' between here and "east of the Rockies".

Lots of these divisions are climatic (quite pronounced divisions, here in the West)--and climatic differences result in differing economies, differing population densities, and, as a result, differing politics.

VERY interesting subject...

Old 01-21-2008, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,113 times
Hi BigHouse9,
I know what you mean! I'm from San Francisco and we now live in Como (Northern Italy) Italian people will walk into you (American or not) to try and get YOU to move out of their way....go figure. You should see people drive it's not for the faint of heart!

Old 01-21-2008, 01:30 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a question for those of you who assert that each European country is a distinct entity. How do you feel about European Union, common currency, freedom of cross-border movement and labor, etc?

My thoughts are that this was tried on a small scale in Yugoslavia, with disastrous results. Sooner or later, the Dutch will figure out that they wish the Portuguese had never come and established a huge minority population in their midst, and the resutl will not be pretty.
I was going to point this out. Even though some may take offense to being called generally 'European', the EU has many traits of being a very large single country (with an extreme level of diversity of course). Much more so than the US and adjacent countries (Mexico, Canada)

Old 01-21-2008, 01:35 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
States in the US don't have much to do anymore with a person's identity. The Civil War is long over and most people would be reluctant to identify themselves by the state they live in, we Americans are too mobile for that and we've had alot of shared national identity in the last 125 years since that war. .

Really have to disagree with you on that one. A state like NJ is a world different than say Iowa or something. Maybe regions such as the NorthEast, the South, Midwest, or West, etc. are more identifiable than single states, but you kind of know when someone's from the South versus someone who is from the North.

We certainly do have a shared national identity, but we're still culturally different in many aspects

Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 PM

For ANYONE interested in US "Regionalism", I'd highly recommend "The Nine Nations of North America" by Joel Garreau. Though it's 'getting old' now, (1981) the book is very 'readable', and makes a strong case for the division of all of North America into similar "related' zones, and the increasing obsolescence and irrelevance of state lines. South Florida, for example, is included as part of a "Caribbean" region-- our Southwest is included with much of Mexico as "Mexamerica", the wide-open interior of the West is "The Empty Quarter", etc etc. The only area NOT changed is Quebec--it's pretty much unique.

Very good reading-- long chapter on each 'nation'--written for the layman---highly recommended..

Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
We certainly do have a shared national identity, but we're still culturally different in many aspects
I certainly agree. Though everything-including 'differences'--is relative, I can't help but feel that the Basque sheep rancher working his flock in a blizzard in Nevada, the Croatian work-boat crewman in the bayous of Louisiana, the Jewish accountant in Manhattan, and the Polish plumber in Cleveland live their lives amid VERY different 'settings', though all are Americans.

Compare them all with the nomad in Somalia, and of COURSE they're going to have certain common "American" similarities that HE doesn't share. But America remains a pretty 'varied' place, IMHO...

Old 01-25-2008, 05:31 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweden View Post
Precisely. I'm a Swede, and I would NEVER EVER call myself a European. You constantly hear that "There is no 'general American', because the US is so big and diverse". But then there's always an adding "But we're not like the prissy Europeans".

I'm sorry, but the US is ONE country. If one cannot lump all Americans together, who are ALL of the SAME people, then how can someone lump all Europeans together when Europe consists of 47 countries? There is so much more diversity in Europe than in the US, so why do Americans keep insisting on calling us Europeans as if we were of the same people?

If the OP wants to talk about rudeness in Italy, please do so. Don't lump all of us living on the European continent together as if we were one people. We're not. Differences between Italian culture and for example Swedish or Dutch or British etc is ocean deep- just because something happened in Italy it does not even remotely mean that the same will happen in another European country.
Just as if I went to Argentina and found people to do something, I wouldn't expect Americans do the same, or even ask if it is the same in the US.

Europe is not a country. European is not a people. In every European country there are often many different people, hence the trouble in for example former Yugoslavia and Northern Ireland. Please don't lump us all together as if one experience in one country would apply to all countries. Please.
He's right. Swedes are not rude. They are just kind of slow in the head and terribly boring. When they come to Denmark they drink and throw up a lot. They also look richer and drive bigger cars.

I wonder what swedish people think about danish people?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:49 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I was going to point this out. Even though some may take offense to being called generally 'European', the EU has many traits of being a very large single country (with an extreme level of diversity of course). Much more so than the US and adjacent countries (Mexico, Canada)

I agree and think that has largely been ignored.

Firstly, yes, European countries are as varied as you can get. But they do share some characteristics- more statist ventures such as healthcare, more static populations, etc.

Secondly, the rise of the EU has come with a rise of the so-called, "common European identity". How much of this is rhetoric, I do not know. But I have heard numerous Europeans disavow their own national identity in favor of a European one. Seems to be another way of being nationalist by stealth.

Finally, with the EU growing ever more, there has been a trend towards universal standards such as weights and measures and of course, the Euro.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,246 times
I live in Prague in Czech republic, I was in Italia for many times and I have NO similar experience. The Europe is safely than USA. And of course, we are more clever, more beutiful and better in everythink :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies