Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 01:54 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,523,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorex View Post
I live in Prague in Czech republic, I was in Italia for many times and I have NO similar experience. The Europe is safely than USA. And of course, we are more clever, more beutiful and better in everythink :-)
Your ability to communicate in English, and your spelling, sentence structure, and grammar, are far superior to that of many Americans. Also, you seem to have just a BIT more humility, and less willingness to brag, than the "average" American.....and you're WAY more tactful, as well....(at least, that's my opinion)..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorex View Post
I live in Prague in Czech republic, I was in Italia for many times and I have NO similar experience. The Europe is safely than USA. And of course, we are more clever, more beutiful and better in everythink :-)
I have been to Italy no less than 20 times. 27 times actually. Many parts are indeed beautiful. Once you leave the city. Naples for example. Go to Capri and you will find a beautiful island retreat. Clean waters and great food. Nice.
Return to Naples and enjoy filthy streets, smog worse than any US city I have ever been to. A stench fills the air and you wonder what diseases you might contract from the air alone. Many parts of Italy are beautiful and many are filthy, crime ridden and as dangerous as any street in Turkey. LOL Turkey a gutter filled with filth dead people in the streets almost unnoticed by the populace.
France fairly clean. Been to Paris a few times. Got to experience their coed bathrooms. Also got to witness IV drug use in the those same bathrooms. No one seemed to care.
Europe superior to the USA? 2 world wars that required the USA to help settle.
NATO carried on the backs of the American tax payer and soldier. NATO which was designed to ensure Western Europe's safety from the USSR. Europe hid behind the USA's skirts and all the while wished to dictate terms.
Bosnia? Once again Europe the mighty, the great, the all knowing still needed their poor uncivilized cousins across the big pond to come in and resolve yet another European problem.
Tell me doctorex when will the all knowing all powerful and absolutely perfect learn to deal with their own problems? When will they cease to need their poor uncivilized and inferior cousins to hold their hands and wipe their noses?
Oil for food scandal? LOL The players caught in that were the ones shielding Saddam from weapons inspections and being held accountable for his constant misdeeds. A coincidence perhaps? Were they not also powerful European nations? The Middle East? All these issues in the Middle East the roots of which date back to what? Hmmmm When Europe carved up the pie after WWI perhaps? The great European empires without regard to the natives of those lands. And yet Europe will lecture on human rights. Tsk tsk The Americans and what they did to the Indians. Tsk tsk Americans and their slaves. Wasn't it Europeans who first brought slaves to America? Wasn't it Europeans who continued to bring slaves to America even after it became illegal in their own countries? Wasn't it Europe who continued to support the South with weapons and other goods after the civil war broke out?
Europe been there done that. Nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:48 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,686,455 times
It's very unlikely they met a local in Venice.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,165,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
It's very unlikely they met a local in Venice.
Equally unlikely that they smelled anything but sewage for a week after a visit to Venice. Cool architecture beautiful sights, but the stench would choke a maggot.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:49 PM

102 posts, read 384,083 times
In my travels over the last seven years, I have found Europeans more perceptive, and Americans dense as bricks. On a bicycle, today, in the US, a woman seeking a few more millimeters of closeness of her massive van to the door of a hardware store, completely shut off any idea of me getting on my borrowed bicycle to get myself and some garden tools back home.
A German would never have done that. On the other hand, unlike the lovely Indian lady in the liquor store last night, no German would have offered us a ride home in bad weather. Well, perhaps, after I had demonstrated my minimal competence in German.

Meanwhile, Americans remain the most close-minded, self-centered people I have encountered, during my travels, as an American.

We win.
Yay.

Don't *****, change.
Thanks,

Edge

Old 04-02-2008, 06:51 PM

102 posts, read 384,083 times
Default Just so you know

Hubby and I were both working for the US Army during our stay in Germany.
Replies based on patriotism, take note.

Thanks,

Old 02-04-2009, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,160 times
Well, if it's like that in Venice it couldn't be different elsewhere in Europe, could it?

I've been to Longview, Texas. We were assaulted after making some pro democratic remarks, which was picked up by some rednecks!

Can anyone say if this was just a unique experience or is all of the US like this now?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 AM

151 posts, read 271,710 times
You might have called me arrogant if you saw me last year when I went to a Normandy McDonalds.

I was stupid, I must admit, asking for a Hamburger!! The French have a different metric system and they didn't understand what I mean't. I settled for a McSandwich and the mayo was different!

Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,855,507 times
WTF?

I've lived in Europe for 15 years, two of them in Italy. If anything, the Italians are the least arrogant and least insulting of the bunch. I love the fact that they (in general), don't take themselves too seriously - something people back home would do well to try.

Northern Europeans, among whom I lived for many years, tend to sneer at strangers (not just Americans) but they don't mean much by it. No need to take it personally and a difference is not a character flaw.

Whenever these threads start to go down the "who is superior" route, they unfortunately draw out the idiot jingoists on either side.

All of our countries have our share of rude and inconsiderate people - no one has cornered the market on that yet (and no one is without them).

Old 02-04-2009, 06:23 AM

151 posts, read 271,710 times
I'm from the UK and I made the mistake of asking for that Hamburger in France. To be honest, the French love both the British and the Americans for what they did back in 1944.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies