Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:11 PM

28,888 posts, read 30,136,994 times

Advertisements

so, I've been contemplating on the many huge companies who are outsourcing...watching the economy, the stock market, and illegal immigration. Michigan is a state in it's own right, now hugely dealing with unemployment....Politicians refuse to recognize or talk about the real issues, crime, illegal immigration...why, because illegals can vote and largely represent the Democratic party.

I've been concerned while wondering, what will America be like in the next 10 - 20 years. People are though, finally starting to come together and agree, "something is a miss"

I challenge you, to read these articles and contemplate for yourselves....

What is Happening to America?- Article by Frosty Wooldridge - speaker, author, environmentalist, patriot, bicyclist; Frosty promotes open discussion of environmental and U.S. national sustainability issues, and reduction of immigration to replacement

What Is Happening to America's Gold? (http://www.fgmr.com/whatgold.htm - broken link)

What’s Happening To America? by by Ken Hughes

AYPF Forum Brief - What's Really Happening with America's Out-of-School Youth? (http://www.aypf.org/forumbriefs/1997/fb041897.htm - broken link)

Effects Of Outsourcing (http://www.cyfuture.com/effects-of-outsourcing.htm - broken link)

Offshore outsourcing affects American workers | WTN

What's Wrong with Our Schools? | What's Homeschooling? (http://www.goodbyecitylife.com/homeschool/whatswrong.htm - broken link)

Children for sale - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com

NPR : Stem Cell Research: Science and the Future

yes, these compositions are one man's opinion, but what if...
they are right?

Why is this all happening? Did you realize it was happening...

without getting into a political debate of who is right or wrong...I want to stress that there is not a candidate running for the Presidency, that has brought these issues to the table for discussion.

who is voting for Hilary simply because she is a woman?
Who is voting for another simply b/c they want one issue to win...i.e. abortion
but who is asking these people, what they intend to do to bring back America...stop the crime...educate our kids and reinstate support financially and mentally right here in America....?

When will the greed stop...when we are all out of work?

We rely so much on foreign products what would happen if they'd sanction us?

I tell you truly, there are issues concerning America which we have to arm ourselves with education so we can stress fighting to get America Back.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-12-2008 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,489,935 times
Default No cure for cancer

YouTube - Denis Leary - No Cure For Cancer End Song "The Downtrodden"

Old 01-12-2008, 06:31 PM

28,888 posts, read 30,136,994 times

Are you kidding? You couldn't have read the articles? So are you saying, none of this is happening?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 01-12-2008 at 06:51 PM..

Old 01-12-2008, 06:56 PM

4,510 posts, read 6,751,553 times
Everything doesn't have to be so dark. America has a great way of coming together in a crisis. Although watching the news one might get the impression we are in a crisis, that is not necessarily the case.

Today I went shopping for new countertops. Both places that I went to were quite busy. This is despite a huge slowdown in RE. Two years ago I would have had to wait 6 months for an installation. Now its a few weeks, mainly due to fabrication time.

Not everything is rosey as cremebrulee indicated. We'll if people want something new they need to change their habits. Frankly, I'm not interested in another Target, Kohls or any other big box retailer being built near me. We have 6 Targets within 10 miles along with 6 Home Depots, 2 Lowes, 4 or 5 Kohls, 7 Movie complexes, etc. All this and the population of my home state, Connecticut, hasn't really changed much over the past 20 years in terms of population (lagged the national average).

America has the opportunity to be a leader in alternative energy technology, medical sciences, next-generation transportation, self-sustaining building products, communication, etc. These products are what is needed for the future.

New technology is expensive, requires investment, and a talented pool of workers. It's up to young and middle-aged middle class citizens to demand change, a group that is largely absent from the discussions, decisions, and the vote.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:10 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,404,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
America has the opportunity to be a leader in alternative energy technology, medical sciences, next-generation transportation, self-sustaining building products, communication, etc. These products are what is needed for the future. New technology is expensive, requires investment, and a talented pool of workers. It's up to young and middle-aged middle class citizens to demand change, a group that is largely absent from the discussions, decisions, and the vote.
Those are good points. But the basic R&D necessary to develop those technologies will not come complete with the sort of profit projections that tend to motivate free-market corporate types. They will find ways to do more with their money elsewhere. Only government-funded R&D can take us up and over that hurdle. The cost of doing it will be substantial. The cost of not doing it will be far more substantial.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,719,017 times
Where are you getting the ideas that illegals can vote and are in the democratic party? Please don't make a blur between the lines of an illegal immigrant and a legal one. Last I checked, if you were illegal, you could not vote.

Old 01-12-2008, 07:59 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 992,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Those are good points. But the basic R&D necessary to develop those technologies will not come complete with the sort of profit projections that tend to motivate free-market corporate types.
Undo some idiotic taxes and a 7% or 8% return would absolutely become appealing once again. The reason those "free market corporate types" are disinclined to invest in such programs is because they have to get a certain rate of short term return just to beat the tax man- you know, the "tax man", your buddy who collects all that money from the 'evil corporations' and the big-bad rich- and those returns cannot be had when you have to factor in R&D expenses for ambitious undertakings.

Odious taxes are a large part of the reason American innovation is dying. The margins involved just aren't profitable since most of it has to be given back to the government in order to fund whatever moronic pet-project garbage the financial-losers on the left or the idiot warhawks on the right want to pay for.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,143,074 times
Interesting short article, with linked analysis and stats, concerning R&D funding issues in US:

IEEE-USA Today's Engineer

Old 01-12-2008, 10:17 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,778,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
Where are you getting the ideas that illegals can vote and are in the democratic party? Please don't make a blur between the lines of an illegal immigrant and a legal one. Last I checked, if you were illegal, you could not vote.
Actually in certain areas they are allowed to vote. Weird as it is. Not only that I have heard rumors that people are trying to bus in illegals to these towns for them to vote...

Old 01-12-2008, 11:03 PM

638 posts, read 2,277,158 times
When I got to the "one of the few times Democrats have gotten it right" I quit reading. Sorry. Look at the state of the US, look at Reaganomics and which party has been in control for much of the last 27 years, and ask me with a straight face which party needs to die like the dinosaur it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies