Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post

There are two sided to every story. We have one side here, which was also the case early in the Ferguson situation and also the George Zimmerman affair.

The author considers herself a " Breaking News" reporter for The Pioneer Press.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:08 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
My money is valuable. If I learned that a mall doesn't want my money, I wouldn't give it to them. No questions asked.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:16 PM

29,469 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
This seems pretty bad, unless there is a story that is not being told here.

Eagan shoppers post video of police search - TwinCities.com
I was just recently at a gun range, which also had a sales department. There were three black individuals at the register. I think only one was making a firearms purchase, so if he was doing this he had already had a background check and all that so not a criminal. He was there to purchase a firearm, yet there were two store employees taking care of the transaction and a security guard standing behind them.
Is this good or is this racism?

Now that being said, all three had there A_$$ hanging out because their pants were pretty much down to their knees (had i owned the store they would not have been allowed in), all had gold bling on and one even had gold plated glasses. Did they fit the gangster look..sure, where they ? At least one of them was a clean law abiding citizen.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,017 times
Quote:
Look at the lack of interest of this thread. Here is a clear example of blatant racism but no one cares because no one died.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gia1990 View Post
That's the world. Doesn't surprise me it's not like this hasn't happened before. Just think of all the times outrages things have happened like this but get no media attention? Because no one died, and no one shot a cop. That's how the world works sadly.
That "story" is so thin on details it shouldn't have even been posted.

Wait for facts to emerge before painting with such a broad brush.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:26 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I suppose YOU would just laugh it off if every time you went shopping you were accused of shoplifting; six police officers surrounded you and dumped your purchases on the ground; and you were issued a ticket for trespassing.

Sure you would!

Every time.

When I was young I had long hair that was well past my shoulders. I used to wear a beat up old OD green army field jacket with ripped jeans, work boots, and etc. It was "my look" at the time. I was stopped multiple times in a matter similar to the incident in the OP. One time I was even stopped and detained right in front of my own house. Another cop pulled up with a woman in the back of the car and asked her "is this him". She replied "no it was a guy in his 30's like I said." I was 17 at the time. However, I was stopped because of the way I looked. The only real difference here is that I didn't cry to the media or anyone else about it. I just moved on with my life. Go figure....

Old 03-13-2015, 12:29 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,344,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I make such searches daily.. I explain carefully and succinctly what and why am doing .. and why someone is detained.. we still get complaints.. its the nature of the job.. and people of all colors love to complain when they are.. or may be... suspected of wrongdoing

Missing from the story was the information that was given to the officers as cause for detention of these individuals.... regardless of whether stolen items were or were not found...

The fact that they were banned ( by loss prevention who most likely saw them steal the item and it was discarded before they were detained by the police..) should give some rise to the smell test,,,

Something isnt right here and I dont think it's racism.. sounds like someone got away with theft.. bet there was 11.00 of makeup supplies stashed somewhere

Why do I think this... hey,, Ive only seen it about a 1000 times before..
Quote:
I explain carefully and succinctly what and why am doing .. and why someone is detained.. we still get complaints.. its the nature of the job.

Not so much. You still get complaints because cops in general are anal holes on a power trip.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:30 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,075 times
Because surely no white person has ever wrongly been accused of shoplifting at that mall...
Certainly it could have been racism, but who the hell are you to judge if it is and on what grounds?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:33 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,516,836 times
Quote:
Listen, I'm not very progressive when it comes to race issues, would probably be considered more backwards by some. But in all my years I've never been treated like that in a store of any kind. They seem like nice people to me, not gang colors wearing idiots.
You know these people? Have you met them?

You appear to be jumping to conclusions based on your ill-informed and pre-conceived biases. There is only one biased side of the story available here, and your assertion that "They seem like nice people to me" does more to undermine your credibility here than it does to advance it.

Once again, if the people who were banned want to pursue it, let there be an investigation, with any wrongdoing by either them or the police who searched them being prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. But without that, based on only the one-sided presentation you have made so far, the suggestion that these people were treated wrongly based on their skin color is the most racist suggestion that I have seen so far today. Just saying.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:53 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
WTF? So the police found no stolen property yet they banned those people from returning to the mall for a year? How is that even logical?
The police didn't ban them from anything-the mall owners did. And have since reversed the ban. The question is who reported them for shoplifting?

The only way you could claim "racism" is if the same person reported a white person for theft and they received different treatment. Just because someone is black they should not get special treatment and just be allowed to walk away with stolen property (as reported). Cops were doing their job and some idiot(s) get butt-hurt.

Quote:
Asked how he thinks his officers handled himself after watching the video, Eagan Police Chief James McDonald said, "I think they did fine." McDonald noted that they've had 31 shoplifting calls at the outlet mall this year, and respond with multiple officers because shoplifters often work in groups. The chief says mall officials asked police to issue the no trespass order.

"We live in America," McDonald says. "If someone doesn't want you on their property for any reason they can ask you. It's not for us to debate that."

On Friday, Eagan police provided their reports on the incident, which indicate the initial call came from mall security, who said the suspects had stolen product from The Cosmetic Company Store. An employee at the store told police, “She did not see the individuals take the items, but they were missing $121 in product after the group left.”

The employee said they had recently done an inventory and told one officer she was “99.5 percent” sure they had stolen the items. She told another officer she was 95 percent sure. The clerk said the suspects also knocked over a display item. After looking at store surveillance officers could not determine if anything had been stolen.
If there is an issue, it is strictly with the person that made the report of shoplifting.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-13-2015 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-13-2015, 01:02 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Huh? Did you even read the article? Probably not. Do you know that they were suspected of theft, the police looked through their bags, found nothing & STILL banned them from coming to that mall for a year? Now, do you think that's logical?
Do you really think there is enough information in that article to draw a logical conclusion other than some people got searched? I am honestly not sure why its news, it seems it was reported entirely due to the peoples skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies