Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

My last 3 car purchases have all been Japanese, and all lasted to 200K miles with few if any recalls before I sold them. the engines are far more reliable now then they were in "the good old days" and ownership cost is much lower. This isn't the case with most consumer products, but cars have gotten better, not worse, unless you buy brands with bad reputations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 11:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-and it's all for megacorporations with no loyalty to any people on the planet-what do they care if someone dies from their product?

'81 Percent Toxic': Shocking Dollar Stores 2015 Study

Dollar store products found to be loaded with toxic chemicals - NaturalNews.com
Most of what is sold at dollar stores is plastic junk.

Plastic by nature is toxic if you eat it. Isn't this kind of a silly "study"?

I'm sure if I go into the ACE Hardware store near me, 95% of what is there is "toxic".

Old 03-13-2015, 11:40 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,087,312 times
I know one thing

My 67-79 vintage ford truck fleet I have restored,,, (I love dentsides and have five)... can all be worked on with a pair of pliers and a screwdriver... and there are zero computers and electric gizmos.. and they are built of American steel... tough.. very simple,, cheap to own (mine are 300 sixes which I love) and will last long after Im dust... (and whoever gets one will have a classic that will outlive them)

The average car has three to four miles of wires now... and multiple systems taking to each other... technology is great when it works

Give me a classic anyday.. and while I drive a new f150 Im happiest when Im in a real truck.. no stereo.. manual everything...

Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
When did consumers demand that we stop manufacturing anything and become a hollow service based/consumer economy?
When did anyone start forcing people to shop at Wal*Mart against their will?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
When did anyone start forcing people to shop at Wal*Mart against their will?
When Wal-Mart is able to use near slave and child labor around the globe, pay American employees so low they are forced to be subsidized by the US Government, slash prices initially to force local competition to close then jack prices back up, use cheap/inferior ingredients/materials from all over the World, have our political establishment in their back pocket, etc. it is hard for honest American owned and operated companies to stay in business. Consumers will always flock to the best perceived value-that's not hard to figure out.

But are we legislating policies supporting American businesses that are interested in the future of our nation, or are we legislating policies that support nationless megacorporations that actually threaten the very sovereignty of our nation?

I know it is easy to blame the masses for not being knowledgeable on the inner-workings of global commerce and the brothel that our Congress has become, but the fact is that a very small number of men paid to have these policies implemented and are taking advantage of a very large number of people. In fact, these policies are destroying our country and obliterating our Middle Class-once the largest in the history of the World.

I know it is easier to bury your head in the sand and continue to point out the fact that people are stupid, but some of us have the future of our country to worry about.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:07 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Most of what is sold at dollar stores is plastic junk.

Plastic by nature is toxic if you eat it. Isn't this kind of a silly "study"?

I'm sure if I go into the ACE Hardware store near me, 95% of what is there is "toxic".
I bought some toxic paint stripper at Ace just the other day. Then I filled my car up with toxic gasoline. I did not drink any of the paint stripper or gasoline.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:10 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
The fact is millions of Americans are saving billions of dollars thanks to liberalized trade agreements. We owe a special thanks to Wal-Mart for innovating the retail industry and providing us always low prices.

Old 03-13-2015, 12:43 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
"They" aren't trying to kill us. "We" just demand more for less and less money.
You can buy quality if you look around and are willing to pay for it. But most have neither the time, much less the money to do so. And how are you going to run a consumer driven economy if everyone only buys one car every decade, or a appliances that last or clothes that withstand more than a couple of washes?
Mercedes Benz has the lowest recall rate. Most people cannot afford a Mercedes, let alone the cost of maintenance, repairs, parts. We all want the quality but do want or cannot afford to pay for it.

Maytag used to build washer last lasted forever. When a product is that good, it does not bode well for replacement sales. Competition caused Maytag to reduce quality and price to stimulate and perpetuate consumerism.

Unlike newer manufacturers with no history, Maytag experienced a backlash when consumers continued to expect historical Maytag quality but did not want to pay for it.

The company could not survive and was eventually acquired by Whirlpool which owns most of the washer brands. The label says Maytag but it's Whirlpool under the hood.

A new washer is designed to last 5-7 years. Parts are often discontinued well before.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:17 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,652,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
With all the recalls going on we can see that the quality of goods being sold to us is going downhill.
All to save a dime.

But this one that I read this morning really takes the cake.

Kia is recalling vehicles because the gas pedal can break or bend.
What the hell material are they using..plastic ?

And all these plants have "quality" inspectors.
All these plants supposedly do testing.

My own vehicle has been recalled 6 times for various parts (Dodge Ram) and it's only 4 years old.

And the sad thing about this is that there is really nothing we can do.
Oh sure, don't buy from them but the issue is that they are all doing it.

We now have cheap crap from all over the world.
And I had to lol at the story..."hard to accelerate if the gas pedal breaks"

Kia to recall some Soul SUVs; gas pedals can bend or break
Kia is recalling nearly 209,000 Soul small SUVs because the gas pedals can bend or break.
If the gas pedal bends or breaks, it can be hard to accelerate the SUVs, increasing the risk of a crash.
I've got a '96 Nissan 200SX with 195K miles on it. I've been thinking of getting something newer - but everything is junk. The cars in this same class today would never hold up like mine has - and mine is still a tight little car. And they are cheaper or around the same price mine was almost 20 years ago - that alone tells you something. I'm truly torn about just refurbishing what I've got or getting a newer model - though if I buy I'll move up to an Altima because they do seem to be good cars.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:27 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
If we demand more and more for less money then why do Iphones cost 3 times as much as they were made for?

Apple's iPhone 6 Reportedly Costs $200 to Make
Apple’s $649 iPhone 6 Reportedly Costs $200 to Make
That's the BOM. It would be dumb to only consider that when figuring out the final cost. You also have to pay the small army of engineers and developers who created it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies