Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:11 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's not idiotic, the only question is what is the proper sentence/fine/punishment. If you damage public property you are always charged. (I'm not talking where the person was attacked by the dog after doing nothing wrong).
Are police officers public property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Are police officers public property?
I have no idea what that question is supposed to mean.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what that question is supposed to mean.
I thought you were referring to the dog as public property. Did I misunderstand that?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
I thought you were referring to the dog as public property. Did I misunderstand that?
It is. If you destroy public property you are going to get charged. You can consider a dog property.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:52 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
I don't think people should go to jail for killing a dog. I would never kill a dog but it's not the worst crime in the world. It's sad how people value animal lives over human lives. It really shows the lack of respect for our fellow human brethren.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 03-16-2015 at 06:05 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
It is. If you destroy public property you are going to get charged. You can consider a dog property.
Alright, so my issue is that if the police dog is public property, and they now consider police dogs to be like officers and charge people as if they attacked an officer, do they consider human police to be public property as well?

I'm not sure where you stand on the issue, but the police who want their K-9 units treated as officers have inconsistencies in their logic. I'd say that either

a) the police dog is merely public property, human officers are not (meaning the dogs are not equal to the officers), and therefore the charges for harming a police dog should NOT be anything like harming an officer

Or b) the dog is an officer, as they are claiming, and the charges should be the same...but in this scenario, if the dog is public property, so are the officers. If the officers aren't public property, neither is the dog.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't think people should go to jail for killing a dog. I would never kill a dog but it's not the worst crime in the world. It's sad how people value animal lives over human lives. It really shows the lack of repect for our fellow human breathe.
How is it a lack of respect? How is it valuing animal life over human life? I don't understand.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Alright, so my issue is that if the police dog is public property, and they now consider police dogs to be like officers and charge people as if they attacked an officer, do they consider human police to be public property as well?
They? I can't answer for "they".

Quote:
I'm not sure where you stand on the issue, but the police who want their K-9 units treated as officers have inconsistencies in their logic. I'd say that either
If you read my replies you would know.

Quote:
a) the police dog is merely public property, human officers are not (meaning the dogs are not equal to the officers), and therefore the charges for harming a police dog should NOT be anything like harming an officer
Probably not. Then again, you didn't define "harm".

Quote:
Or b) the dog is an officer, as they are claiming, and the charges should be the same...but in this scenario, if the dog is public property, so are the officers. If the officers aren't public property, neither is the dog.
You are unable to discern the difference between a dog and a human? My dog is my property.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:10 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
Quote:
How is it a lack of respect? How is it valuing animal life over human life? I don't understand.
It's how our society is. We get more angry when "people kill dogs" than "people killing people". You've seen how angry so many people got with the Micheal Vick dog fighting scandal. Many people sent him death treats. How people reacted you would think that he killed a group of human children. The fact that we actually have television news channels doing stories on dog killings is an absolute joke!

Old 03-16-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It's how our society is. We get more angry when "people kill dogs" than "people killing people". You've seen how angry so many people got with the Micheal Vick dog fighting scandal. Many people sent him death treats. How people reacted you would think that he killed a group of human children. The fact that we actually have television news channels doing stories on dog killings is an absolute joke!
Yes they got angry. So what? It's wrong for them to have gotten angry? How is it a joke that people get upset when people abuse animals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies