Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:55 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZombie View Post
So... it's better to let them go on without insurance? I have a relative that had spinal surgery. The total cost was about $150k. Of that, she was responsible for about $10k of it. Are you telling me it was better for her to be responsible for all $150k than having to pay the $10k?
Her annual out of pocket costs would be capped at $6,600 under the ACA, which includes, the deductible, co-pays, co- insures, prescription meds and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We are a family of four (under the age of 45) and the cheapest Bronze plan which would be all that we could afford had a deductible of $6250 per year per person, $12,500 for the family. The cost per month in premiums was just above $500 per month. That adds up to quite a lot for something that we most likely won't use at all.

I'd love to have the option of having a plan that covers unexpected (expensive) expenses. I don't need a plan that covers routine preventative care or office visits. Those are things I can pay for out of pocket.

Our Pre ACA plan was a little more then $250 per month. It was a catastrophic plan though with zero bells and whistles.
The catastrophic plans worked well for many people/ families.

All healthcare legislation, anywhere, is living and changes over time.

Instead of huffing and puffing to kill the AC with no alternative, Congress could focus on amending the legislation that could restore some semblance of the catastrophic option.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is that any different than the much less expensive catastrophic plans that existed pre-Obamacare? The $10k deducti$X ble cost outcome would have been the same, at a much lower premium cost.
Good point.

Speculation on my part is the elimination of discriminatiion against pre- existing conditions influenced the catastrophic option. Let me explain. If I had a catastrophic plan and paid out of pocket for Cancer screenings and was diagnosed and required treatment, I would likely not have been able to buy a more traditional plan next year because of the pre-existing condition. I would have been stuck with the Catastrophic plan and higher out of pocket costs, going forward, subject to state look- back periods and the condition of my health.

The ACA allows me to shop individual plan coverage each year, regardless of pre- existing conditions, a tremendeous benefit. Would not most people be inclined to switch from a lower cost Catastrophic plan to a more costly and higher grade plan, once diagnosed? Would this not be similar to someone who chooses to maintain only their state minimum auto liability insurance and after totaling the car, switchi to comp/ collision and expecting the insurer to cover the loss?

The ACA provides for routine Cancer screenings without a co-pay. This is an incentive for more people to get screened and earlier detection, before symptoms are present. Earlier detection usually means treatment will be less costly and greatly increases the odds of long term survival.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiseca View Post
These are the ACA essentials. Are these unreasonable? Most private company plans cover all of these areas. The only thing that's "free" is one doctor visit a year and when you get to 60 you get a "free" colonoscopy.
  1. Ambulatory patient services
  2. Emergency services
  3. Hospitalization
  4. Maternity and newborn care
  5. Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment
  6. Prescription drugs
  7. Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
  8. Laboratory services
  9. Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
  10. Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Nothing is free. The cost is included in the premium and include various screenings:

BP and cholesterol and Diabetes if BP is high, and

Colorectal for those > age 50, and

STD/ HIV, and

Mamograms for women> 40, and

Cervical Cancer

It also includes a variety of immunizations

Old 03-17-2015, 12:03 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Everyone who supported this monstrosity is going to face some sleepless nights ahead.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:59 PM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
Instead of huffing and puffing to pass the ACA without knowing what was in it, Congress could focus on amending the legislation that could restore some semblance of the catastrophic option.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Good for you. Not everyone has been as lucky as you. Don't you sell insurance for a living?

1 - that is a ad hominid attack, it doesn't change the point of my post. He posted an example, I posted an example. Individual healthcare experiences are not significant to anyone but you. One person could easily says his deductible tripled and leave out the . .but I switched to a plan that costs me 75% less.

2 - no I dont sell insurance for a living

Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1 - that is a ad hominid attack

Was that a pun?

Old 03-18-2015, 04:14 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1 - that is a ad hominid attack, it doesn't change the point of my post. He posted an example, I posted an example. Individual healthcare experiences are not significant to anyone but you. One person could easily says his deductible tripled and leave out the . .but I switched to a plan that costs me 75% less.

2 - no I dont sell insurance for a living
Oh do you mean but "I lost a damn good insurance policy that I liked"? And I was forced to switch to a plan that cost me more and double the deductible.

You idiot Obamabots just don't want to admit to people being screwed. Why because you're a Obamabot and you can't hold your own, you need other people to suffer to support your asses.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Her annual out of pocket costs would be capped at $6,600 under the ACA, which includes, the deductible, co-pays, co- insures, prescription meds and so on.
Let me slightly correct this for you

Her annual in network cap would be $6600 for individual plan. But $12700 with family in network.

The key word being in network. Since the ACA doesn't offer much in terms of our of network protection unless it's a life saving true emergency out of network situation and spine surgery 97-98% of the time is not life threatening.

No one wants to correct the out of network weakness of ACA. Cause they can't. If they low ball in network providers. There is a reason they are out of network.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies