Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:23 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And? What one believes is a sin or not shouldn't be what decides a law. We do not live under any religious law.
But it does answer the question of
Quote:
Why do some people care who other legal, free, consenting adults marry?
that was asked in the OP

Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I am saying the OP said "support", you returned with nuns say "accept". They are two different things, the Bishops will teach you to accept your gay friend or child but not to support them by attending a wedding ceremony. You are only to back down in that son or daughters case to avoid totally cutting him off for first engaging in a civil court marriage or in a marriage ceremony with a religious official of another sect, in which case the marriage would not be "valid" for other reasons even before you get to marrying someone of the same sex.
Honestly, growing up in a religious family and going to catholic schools...accept and support were one and the same. That's how I was brought up.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:37 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
i see two points
1) i approval for the fact more mono type relationships
2) disapprove only on the fact I don't think government should be involved with marriage at all, any marriage. let the church handle it
And what about people who are not religious, where do they get married? Why should marriage be restricted to those who believe in a god?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:41 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
At one time people thought that those that wanted an interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed too, but now that is perfectly legal.
Thanks for being the 1 millionth person to use this analogy. There should be a prize for you forthcoming.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:45 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Thanks for being the 1 millionth person to use this analogy. There should be a prize for you forthcoming.
And what is wrong with that analogy, it is true. Interracial marriages were banned and it was the court sytem that made it legal, not popular consensus. At the time of Loving verses Virginia, over 70% of US citizens were adamently against interracial marriage. You think that if the government had not made it legal, that it would still be banned in a number of states?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:47 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And yet, those that still don't get it think that their idea of what is a "sin" should somehow govern our country with their religious laws. When they finally realize that a civil marriage is not a religious thing, maybe they will finally get it.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, growing up in a religious family and going to catholic schools...accept and support were one and the same. That's how I was brought up.
Well then back to school to learn about your Bishop's responsibilities and his standing in the hierarchy with its doctrinal teaching. Same sex aside you are not to support the divorced person in their ceremony. Or the person marrying in the Protestant church without the Bishop's permission.

Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
And yet, those that still don't get it think that their idea of what is a "sin" should somehow govern our country with their religious laws. When they finally realize that a civil marriage is not a religious thing, maybe they will finally get it.
I've seen fake and confused people who thought they were gay but weren't in my life. But I've never seen a black man who was really white but just confused. So much for your stupid analogy.

Stop comparing behavior to a person's race.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:01 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Taiko"Well then back to school to learn about your Bishop's responsibilities and his standing in the hierarchy with its doctrinal teaching. Same sex aside you are not to support the divorced person in their ceremony. Or the person marrying in the Protestant church without the Bishop's permission."

I went to mostly RCC schools, and given the RCC pedophilia scandal with bishops hiding perps, a Bishop would be the last person whose opinion I would value. Now if they can go a few decades with ZERO additional pedophilia incidents, I'll start caring what Bishops have to say.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:02 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Well then back to school to learn about your Bishop's responsibilities and his standing in the hierarchy with its doctrinal teaching. Same sex aside you are not to support the divorced person in their ceremony. Or the person marrying in the Protestant church without the Bishop's permission.
Why would I care about bishops responsibilities. They are just men and nothing special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies