Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,051,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Equal rights doesn't mean equality in EVERYTHING. If it did then it would not be fair that a select few people get admitted to a school like Westpoint, and other people who do not have the means to be sponsored by a Congress person don't get to attend.
Do you even know what equal rights are?

Here is a hint, what you posted has nothing to do with equal rights.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,155,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Equal rights doesn't mean equality in EVERYTHING. If it did then it would not be fair that a select few people get admitted to a school like Westpoint, and other people who do not have the means to be sponsored by a Congress person don't get to attend.
Getting admitted into a school isn't the same thing as two people joining in marriage.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:40 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,597,707 times
The problem is that I am a homophobe, a bigot, a reactionary, and I just don't want same-sex marriage to be elevated to the level of male and female. I am going to make it as difficult as possible as possible to redefine it.

What more need I say? If my position is that I am all the above? Then I am all the above. I am proud of of that,

Old 03-16-2015, 03:43 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,699,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The problem is that I am a homophobe, a bigot, a reactionary, and I just don't want same-sex marriage to be elevated to the level of male and female. I am going to make it as difficult as possible as possible to redefine it.

What more need I say? If my position is that I am all the above? Then I am all the above. I am proud of of that,
I commend your honesty. All Republicans should run on that platform rather than pretending otherwise.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:40 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,931,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post

... If you need permission (LICENSE) - it is not a RIGHT.
If you have a right, you do not need permission.

... If partners want to endow each other with property, a will is superior to a marriage contract.
Under curtesy and dower, the deceased's blood relatives will have a superior claim over the surviving "spouse."
In the United States, many constitutional rights still require a license or document of registration. Citizens over 18 had the right to vote, but a voter's registration card is required. You have the Second Amendment right to own firearms, but a license or registration is required. You have a right to open a business, but a license is almost always required. So what is your point?

The rights and responsibilities of being married goes beyond just inheritance. It can include everything from hospital visitation to being shielded from testifying against your spouse in a court of law. Of course a couple can hire an attorney and give 'power of attorney' to the other person ... but this puts a financial burden on same sex couples that legally married heterosexual couples do not have to deal with. It denigrates gay and lesbian couples and makes them second class citizens. That is why, I believe, 98% of the judicial rulings in the federal courts, circuit courts of appeals, and even the Supreme Court (as articulated in the two rulings Windsor v. The United States and Hollingsworth v. Perry) have been in favor of marriage equality.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:03 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Sex and sexual orientation are not behavior. Is your being heterosexual a behavior, or is it just the sexual orientation of homosexuals that is a behavior?

Sex is not behavior?

Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,931,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Sex is not behavior?
Sexual attraction, sexual preference, sexual fantasy, and most certainly and assuredly sexual orientation is not behavior.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:22 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,358,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Actually the Constitution doesn't specifically say anything about marriage because it falls under a fundamental right. It does however say we are all treated equally, and denying people the right to marry due to their sexual orientation is not trying people equal, therefore denying them their right.

So that would mean those laws that deny people their rights are in violation of the Constitution and should be removed from law.

Actually. the reason the Constitution doesn`t say anything about marriage is because the voting majority, acting through their elected representatives, ratified a Constitution that did not authorize the Congress to regulate marriage.

Instead they included the Tenth Amendment that prohibits federal interference in state matters like marriage.

As for the rest, you seem to be just making things up now.

Sexual orientation isn`t mentioned in the Constitution so their are no Constitutional rights based on it.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:32 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,881,768 times
Default No one does not approve of sin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm catholic, went to catholic schools and went to church several times a week. A good christian should accept everyone as taught by god because we are all gods children. That's what we were taught by the nuns. Are you saying they were wrong
Yes Christian and do accept sinful people and that's there is need for Forgiveness and Redemption. But, one does accept a sin no what flavor it is or how political correct, it may be. It does not mean one goes to a gay marriage of visit a Satan Meeting either.

Old 03-16-2015, 05:37 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,155,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Actually. the reason the Constitution doesn`t say anything about marriage is because the voting majority, acting through their elected representatives, ratified a Constitution that did not authorize the Congress to regulate marriage.

Instead they included the Tenth Amendment that prohibits federal interference in state matters like marriage.

As for the rest, you seem to be just making things up now.

Sexual orientation isn`t mentioned in the Constitution so their are no Constitutional rights based on it.
There is one giant problem with this, I assume you are a married straight woman. What if the state next to you decided to make all marriage illegal and anyone who is married in another state no longer valid. Are you still married when you visit that state? The answer is yes because it doesn't matter which state you get married in, you do not need to register your marriage in every state you visit. That would make marriage an interstate license.

And as the rest of your post points out, there is nothing that should allow states to deny select people from being able to have a marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.