Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 08:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,283,093 times

Advertisements

CONGRESS - LETTER TO NICARAGUA - 'DEAR COMANDANTE' - NYTimes.com

I listened to a local liberal talk host today on the way home from work. He was full of outrage over the Tom Cotton letter. Why how DAST these congressional republicans undermine and usurp the president? Why this is an outrage. The state department and striped-pants people are aghast!

Remember back to the mid-eighties, the Soviet Union was trying to establish a foothold in the Americas, in Nicaragua. And Reagan was trying to stop them. It lead to the "Dear Commandant' letter from several dem congress critters to Daniel Ortega, leader of the Nicaraguan revolutionaries.

Reagan often complained during that time about foreign policy run by a 'committee of 535.' Dems passed various bills to tie him up, including various 'Boland Amendments.' one of which tripped up Col. Ollie North. Edward Boland (D, MA) was signatory to the 'Dear Commandante' letter.

Sen Ted Kennedy (D, MA) went even further, exchanging backchannel communications with Russian leaders during the Reagan era. There was no feigned outrage from libs over the actions of the 'Liberal Lion.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 01:01 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,012,501 times
Double standard.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:59 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,504,485 times
The left will excuse anything they do and accuse others of doing what they themselves set precedents doing. That's why I don't take anything any of them say seriously. They are about the personal attack and incredible hypocrisy.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:01 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,616,256 times
They were wrong- don't you agree

Old 03-15-2015, 04:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,379,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
The left will excuse anything they do and accuse others of doing what they themselves set precedents doing. That's why I don't take anything any of them say seriously. They are about the personal attack and incredible hypocrisy.
Exactly. They are without ethics. To them the end justifies the means. How pathetic they look to those of us who recognize the tactics.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:59 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,683,194 times
Are both letters good or are both bad? I'm not sure of the point the OP is making here.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:23 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,415,022 times
So OP, if the Dems letter was bad 30 years ago ( sad that you had to go back 30 years to find something that you think made those treasonous Repugs look ok ) but the repugs letter was ok, doesn't that make repugs hypocrites?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:50 PM

26,829 posts, read 15,064,177 times
I think the point of the OP is this behavior if fine with Dem supporters.

No......I don't think that, I know that.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,010,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
CONGRESS - LETTER TO NICARAGUA - 'DEAR COMANDANTE' - NYTimes.com

I listened to a local liberal talk host today on the way home from work. He was full of outrage over the Tom Cotton letter. Why how DAST these congressional republicans undermine and usurp the president? Why this is an outrage. The state department and striped-pants people are aghast!

Remember back to the mid-eighties, the Soviet Union was trying to establish a foothold in the Americas, in Nicaragua. And Reagan was trying to stop them. It lead to the "Dear Commandant' letter from several dem congress critters to Daniel Ortega, leader of the Nicaraguan revolutionaries.

Reagan often complained during that time about foreign policy run by a 'committee of 535.' Dems passed various bills to tie him up, including various 'Boland Amendments.' one of which tripped up Col. Ollie North. Edward Boland (D, MA) was signatory to the 'Dear Commandante' letter.

Sen Ted Kennedy (D, MA) went even further, exchanging backchannel communications with Russian leaders during the Reagan era. There was no feigned outrage from libs over the actions of the 'Liberal Lion.'
And Reagan would be right, it was wrong of Democrats then to try to sway foreign negotiations rather than just going through Reagan.

Old 03-15-2015, 05:53 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,616,256 times
I would like to know is the consistent position that both sets of pols that sent these letters were wrong. That is my position. OP is that your position also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies