Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:26 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
For most of US history, the anchor baby meant the entire family automatically qualified for citizenship. This was not lost on Europeans who immigrated on temporary work, tourist and other visas. This stopped in the 70's.

Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked in 2006, with the housing bubble.

Reagan gave amnesty to 6 million and promised to secure the borders and crack down on employers of undocumented workers. Instead, the can was kicked. Bush 1 and Clinton continued to kick the can.
Actually, it was closer to 3 million illegals and there were requirements... the amnesty was not for all of them.

Also, it was Congress that was supposed to secure the border and never did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 02:29 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Jettisoning the tea party crazies out of the GOP would be a start.
Yeah, asking the government to not overspend and to not raise taxes sure is "crazy."

Old 03-16-2015, 02:59 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
The OP is a tough question, given Republican politics of the last decades. I would offer the following (incomplete) list of changes I would expect in order to seriously consider a Republican vote:

Social policy:
-Unequivocal support for LGBT rights.
-Support for voting rights--including making it easier for people to vote
-Support for gender and racial equality
-Respecting the boundary between church and state
-Recognizing the humanity and dignity of immigrants
-Stop fighting the right to choose

Foreign policy:
-Treat war as the last resort
-Support rapprochement with Iran
-Find a way to de-escalate the Ukrainian conflict, at the risk of slowing NATO/EU eastward expansion (but without abandoning Ukraine's sovereignty)
-Apply pressure to resolve the Israeli-Palestinian stasis
-Promote fair trade and make it as free as possible
-Seek stability over popularity and perceived relative advantage
-Open up to Cuba

Domestic policy:
-Restrict spying on electronic communications and increase transparency in digital intelligence operations
-Reform immigration, including a path to citizenship
-Create a plan to end the war on drugs
-Plan seriously to close the income/wealth gap
-Slow the defense budget
-Cut carbon emissions
-Promote effective regulation to create virtuous incentives, limit the damage of market failures, and protect consumers and the public
-Promote advanced telecommunications and transportation
-Select judges and SC Justices in the vein of Souter, Ginsburg, Stevens, Marshall, O'Connor, or Brennan.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:01 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Here's a question for Democrats. Are there things about the Republican Party that appeal to you? Are their certain candidates, ideas or wings of the GOP that you could see yourself supporting if it only weren't for the other aspects of the party that repel you?

I started this thread in part as a spin off to the thread about the GOP's stance on the gay marriage. Are there are other issues in the GOP that keep you from voting Republican even though you could see yourself doing so if these obstacles were removed?

I hope this leads to a serious discussion and doesn't devolve into an opportunity to score cheap points on the GOP (plenty of other threads for that.)
A virus that wiped out all current Republicans.

Old 03-16-2015, 08:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
Dems need those illegals so they can stay in power forever. Illegals will vote Democratic because they can become illegal citizens.
Illegal immigrants cannot vote. Please don't talk about massive voter fraud, since it's a myth. Most Americans don't even bother to vote when they can do it legally. I'm not saying that election results can't be manipulated, only that actual incidents of voting fraud by individuals is almost non-existent.

I can only assume that people who claim how easy it is to vote haven't personally been to the polls. I was born and raised here and I need to show a photo ID and my signature needs to match what's on file with the Supervisor of Elections office. Once I used a UPS mail box as my mailing address and received a letter asking for my physical address and proof of residence. The last time I moved and got a new driver's license, I had to present my Social Security card, my Birth Certificate from Massachusetts with the raised seal, and 2 current utility bills in my name. I know women who had to show their marriage certificates because their last names didn't match their birth certificates.

Again, the GOP is continually talking about smaller government and yet they keep invading our private lives. I'm surprised I didn't need to have a vaginal ultrasound last time I voted.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Illegal immigrants cannot vote. Please don't talk about massive voter fraud, since it's a myth. Most Americans don't even bother to vote when they can do it legally. I'm not saying that election results can't be manipulated, only that actual incidents of voting fraud by individuals is almost non-existent.

I can only assume that people who claim how easy it is to vote haven't personally been to the polls. I was born and raised here and I need to show a photo ID and my signature needs to match what's on file with the Supervisor of Elections office. Once I used a UPS mail box as my mailing address and received a letter asking for my physical address and proof of residence. The last time I moved and got a new driver's license, I had to present my Social Security card, my Birth Certificate from Massachusetts with the raised seal, and 2 current utility bills in my name. I know women who had to show their marriage certificates because their last names didn't match their birth certificates.

Again, the GOP is continually talking about smaller government and yet they keep invading our private lives. I'm surprised I didn't need to have a vaginal ultrasound last time I voted.
Good lord, don't give the right wing fundies any ideas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies