Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 11:16 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,708,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There is no "pay later maybe." When interest rates rise, and they will, your generation is screwed. Period. High taxes. Cut benefits. Enjoy...
You're right. Our costs will go up. Which is all the more reason we need to increase what Medicare recipients are paying in the way of either much higher copays and premiums or severely reduced benefits. Medicare recipients didn't pay enough so they need to start paying more for themselves or they need to get less.

Last edited by Seacove; 03-19-2015 at 11:32 AM..

Old 03-19-2015, 11:18 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You're right. Our costs will go up. Which is all the more reason we need to increase what Medicare recipients are paying in the way of either much high copays and premiums or severely reduced benefits. Medicare recipients didn't pay enough so they need to start paying more for themselves or they need to get less.

Kids on food stamps and free lunches didn't pay squat. Let 'em starve?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
No, we need them. They are the future of the nation. Old people are a economic waste of resources. If resources are truly too limited to care for all, then they should be taken first from the elderly. We can debate whether we are willing to squander money on the aged, but spending money on the well-being of youth is clearly in our national interest.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They already do. How do you not know how Medicare works? Seniors pay premiums and co-pays.

Oh, but you do, and you are, all because Democratic Party politicians thought this system would be a good idea.
I cannot believe you edited my post. I said Medicare recipients need to pay MORE, as in higher premiums and copays. You take out the "more" and think I won't see that? You need to pay MORE or get fewer benefits. You didn't pay for all you're getting.

I believe Republicans signed on for Medicare too - right???
And I believe most Medicare recipients are Republicans - right?

Don't point the finger at Democrats while you suck up the benefits yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
this one lefty, who actually sounds like a tea-partier in reverse.
Music to my ears. Someone who finally see the irony. We've watched Tea Partiers scream about Obamacare for six years, all the while sucking up Medicare like it's the last sip of water in a dry lake.

And it is. You want and expect health care coverage far beyond what you contribute. 21% of you also want and expect Medicaid coverage on top of your Medicare.

But the idea that working people should get even a subsidy toward the insurance they are paying for, is outrageous to you.

Well, my friends, the windfall is ending. You guys need to start paying more and even the Republican Party is willing to face your wrath. They are moving to vouchers and letting you pay the rest.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
So you don't think Medicare recipients should even pay more or get less? You aren't even willing to increase what they pay or take away some of what they receive? Unbelievable.

What about the Republican budget to switch you people to vouchers?

Old 03-19-2015, 11:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Most likely overall costs go up. Our local school district seems to be saving money with their wellness, but long term no one knows.

There are medical studies and good reasons certain preventative testing is recommended at certain ages. But typically the savings from early detection are not grand, compared to all the screening costs.

One might think different if ones life or a loved ones life is saved by these policies. I would be dead or fighting colon cancer, if I did not have my first routine screening colonoscopy at age 52.

There is no reason to recommend a routine colonoscopy or a bone density scan on an 88 y/o male. With appropriate symptoms a colonoscopy might be useful. And a bone density scan on an 88 y/o female may very well be appropriate. Bone density scans are one of the few preventatives we recommend even in very old females.
My OB/ Gyn practice billed my insurer $100 for a routine pap and basic exam. My insurer paid her practice $15 for about 15 minutes of time. The difference reflected as a PPO Discount on my statement of benefits.

Maybe a mid wife could have performed the same for $10. Maybe not. There's always overhead.

Flip side, a PPO podiatrist billed my insurer $ 800 to take care of a simple ingrown toe nail. He spent less than 5 minutes. Insurer paid him about half of what he billed. While painful, an ingrown had no potential to be life threatening. Made me wonder if the code used by the practice was for something other than an ingrown.

This is the dark side of insurance. Since we are not responsible for the bill ( depends on plan) we tend not to focus on the cost before or after billing, for discretionary treatment. Shame on me.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:54 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Good analogy and there is no reason to guess that they will be good paying taxpayers when they become adults either. Poverty begets poverty. Have you ever seen such non-sensical hatred for seniors than what you have from this poster? There is more than meets the eye here, IMO. I am guessing his hatred comes from most boomers being white. Many senior are on a fixed income. They raised their families and fought in our wars and wages were much lower back then. They should be entitled to Medicare and they still make co-pays and pay a monthly premium. Many of those on Medicaid are just lazy leeches that pay nothing and yet it comes out of our taxes also.

Old 03-19-2015, 12:58 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No it does not. It might or it might not, both options always remain.
Spend more? Fine. Millennials and Gen Xers will just have to pay more in taxes. Enjoy the bigger tax bill, especially while trying to repay your student loan debt.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
M, you know I am a huge fan of your ongoing contributions to this forum, including your being " right of right". This does not mean I agree with all of your positions, all of the time.

Constitutions were designed to be living documents.
Only via ratified Amendments. I don't see an Obamacare Amendment in the Constitution.

Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You're right. Our costs will go up. Which is all the more reason we need to increase what Medicare recipients are paying in the way of either much higher copays and premiums or severely reduced benefits.
You need to eliminate Medicaid, first. Medicare recipients have paid and continue to pay for their benefits via premiums and co-pays. Medicaid recipients haven't paid anything and don't pay premiums or co-pays. It's the Medicaid recipients who are sucking up resources without contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies