Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:13 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I had no idea what his given name was nor do I care. But if that's his given name then why would it be a slur calling him that. Is he ashamed of it.
I knew Piyush was Jindal's real name but I also don't see how calling him his given name is a slur.

Personally, I think it odd that he doesn't use his given name. His is an historic administration in being the first and only elected governor of Indian (Asian) descent and that is something to be proud of.

The president uses his real name and even though some conservative media folks like to highlight the "Hussein" portion of Barack Hussein Obama, I have heard him speak fondly of his own name and as a grown, adult man, he uses the name he was given and dropped his childhood moniker of Barry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 01:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
So "diversity" is important to Republicans now?

I mean, make up your minds. One minute, diversity is a curse word. Next minute, you trumpet it as if it's a virtue.

I can't keep up.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So "diversity" is important to Republicans now?

I mean, make up your minds. One minute, diversity is a curse word. Next minute, you trumpet it as if it's a virtue.

I can't keep up.
Well not exactly, when it comes to congressional committee heads that they select it looks like a white male convention.

Governors are elected by the people but I guess you have to give the GOP credit for running some very good minority candidates.

Old 03-16-2015, 02:46 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Libs seem to get a particular kick out of slurring Bobby Jindal by referring to him as "Piyush," his given name. Why that is, I don't know
I know.....what could be worse that calling someone by his given name......

Looks like we have a new PC police in town.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know.....what could be worse that calling someone by his given name......

Looks like we have a new PC police in town.
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007
I knew Piyush was Jindal's real name but I also don't see how calling him his given name is a slur.

Personally, I think it odd that he doesn't use his given name. His is an historic administration in being the first and only elected governor of Indian (Asian) descent and that is something to be proud of.

The president uses his real name and even though some conservative media folks like to highlight the "Hussein" portion of Barack Hussein Obama, I have heard him speak fondly of his own name and as a grown, adult man, he uses the name he was given and dropped his childhood moniker of Barry.
There were widespread complaints about Obama detractors emphasizing his middle name, especially in 2008.
Barack Hussein Obama and the history of bad middle names in politics.
Quote:
Just days after Barack Obama mused about running for president, Republican strategist Ed Rogers winged the senator on Hardball. "Count me down as somebody who underestimates Barack Hussein Obama," sneered Rogers, carefully enunciating Obama's middle name—a family moniker passed down from his Kenyan father and grandfather.
Obama's camp, which had not hidden their man's middle name or bragged about it, cried foul. "It wasn't a slip of the tongue, I know that," Obama's communications director, Robert Gibbs, told Maureen Dowd. "You can't solve Iraq with a campaign about people's middle names."
It's the same phenomenon when liberal posters refer to Bobby Jindal as "Piyush," I suspect both of you are intelligent enough to realize what's going on and are engaging in 'playing dumb,' which is a form of trolling. I've notice the same phenomenon with Mia Love, btw, whose given name is 'Ludmya' (parents were from Haiti). Try a simple exercise--search for Ludmya in either PO&C or elections. Virtually every hit will be from liberal troll posters. Explain to me just why that is....

Old 03-17-2015, 10:44 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
There were widespread complaints about Obama detractors emphasizing his middle name, especially in 2008.

It's the same phenomenon when liberal posters refer to Bobby Jindal as "Piyush," I suspect both of you are intelligent enough to realize what's going on and are engaging in 'playing dumb,' which is a form of trolling. I've notice the same phenomenon with Mia Love, btw, whose given name is 'Ludmya' (parents were from Haiti). Try a simple exercise--search for Ludmya in either PO&C or elections. Virtually every hit will be from liberal troll posters. Explain to me just why that is....
Interesting, I didn't realize the number of people who don't go by their given name. Why is that? Would people in Utah voted for a woman named Ludmya Love? And it isn't like people can't tell Bobby Jindal's heritage, so I don't see why he wouldn't want to use his birth name either.

Old 03-17-2015, 04:44 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Interesting, I didn't realize the number of people who don't go by their given name. Why is that? Would people in Utah voted for a woman named Ludmya Love? And it isn't like people can't tell Bobby Jindal's heritage, so I don't see why he wouldn't want to use his birth name either.

It is fairly common for people to go by other than their given name. Growing up I had a friend from Hong Kong that adopted the name 'Willie.' His Chinese name was difficult to pronounce for Americans. I think it's a matter of basic respect to call people by their preferred name. When a new employee comes on board where I work, I always ask them what they 'go by.' The references to 'Piyush,' 'Ludmya' and 'Barack Hussein' are all attempts to express disrespect. This is something most people realize by around 4th grade or so.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
There are currently 31 GOP governors, and 18 Democratic Governors. Of the 18 Democrats, 17 are white. On the GOP side we have Brian Sandoval of Nevada, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez, and Bobby Jindal of LA. Libs seem to get a particular kick out of slurring Bobby Jindal by referring to him as "Piyush," his given name.
I have seen one person who claims to be left of Center on this site call him by his real name, and that was only after you mentioned it and it was months ago.

You have a habit of doing profile searches and quoting people so why not give us example of liberals slurring him by doing what you said ????

Also, Do you really have a problem with this? If so, Why do you never say anything to Republicans Calling the President " Hussain " ?????????

As for the thread at large, Some people have already debunked your claim, but I would go even further by saying your logic is flawed based on its own Premise.

a Governor is simply a candidate that won. When you compare candidates, it isnt even close.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:09 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,551 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:

There are no liberal posters calling him "Piyush"

and your link didnt debunk his argument. He was saying Barack is clearly proud of his name and uses.( im not saying Bobby Jindal isnt proud of him, just pointing out that you basically misinterpreted his argument.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
It is fairly common for people to go by other than their given name. Growing up I had a friend from Hong Kong that adopted the name 'Willie.' His Chinese name was difficult to pronounce for Americans. I think it's a matter of basic respect to call people by their preferred name. When a new employee comes on board where I work, I always ask them what they 'go by.' The references to 'Piyush,' 'Ludmya' and 'Barack Hussein' are all attempts to express disrespect. This is something most people realize by around 4th grade or so.
I guess I don't see how a name like Piyush or Ludmya or even Hussein can be disrespectful, except for those times people tries to use a person's name to connect them to someone else in a negative way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies