Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
And I could find many that don't. But that would get pretty silly, wouldn't it? Here are a few though, just in my county.

Boulder Shelter for the Homeless | Programs & Services | Overview
Attention Homes - Boulder Colorado - Home
Locations - Boulder Outreach for Homeless Overflow
Note none of these say anything about attending services; many different faiths are represented here, from Jewish to UCC to mainline protestant to conservative Christian.
Agape Family Services: Emergency Winter Shelter - - - Boulder County, Colorado
EFAA | Emergency Family Assistance Association | Boulder, Colorado

Denver:
Denver County Homeless Shelters Homeless Shelters And Social Services
I did not screen these. It's possible some might require some sort of church attendance.

My church is a contributor to one of the soup kitchens in Boulder. When I've helped, they had a prayer before the meal, nothing more.
Absoletely, I never said that all missions require this, but a surprising number do! And thats my point. By moving to a faith based eat or be forced to listen to prayers, or participate we're creating a religion based environment. Your soup kitchens are a mild example, I presume people are allowed to not participate.

How would you feel if Islamic missions were setup that required you to listen to a sermon about Allah for 15 minutes before you could stay the night? Would that be just as OK?

What if they were funded from Saudi Arabia? Still OK?

how about the church of Scientology?

I'm not OK with either. Its wrong to try and move peoples necessities into forced religious indoctrination. But many churches would absolutely love it.

And even you admit-you didn't screen those, you state "its possible some might require some sort of church attendance".

Remember this is how you started before you changed the goal posts:

Quote:
Oh, B! S! I don't know of a shelter that does that! I have heard of some who won't take in people who are intoxicated, but that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
The far left is continuing to be anti-Christian and pro-Islam/atheist. We have Obama(who claims to be a Christian) dissing Christianity, we have the far left liberals trying to challenge everything to do with religion(or, Christianity and Judaism), and liberals trying to take away businesses rights(See, Hobby Lobby) or the rights of the Catholic owned Hospitals. Then of course, there's the issue of gay marriage and abortion.

The African-American Christians are mostly Democrat. For the most part, they are very religious, even more so than many white Christians. Will they realize that the Democrats aren't actually on their side, and they are members of a party that is becoming more and more anti-Christian? How about all those Catholic Hispanics?
You've made 5 or 6 statements that are simply opinion and you have presented not an iota of evidence to back one of them up. The far left is not "continuing" and never has been "pro-Islam." Obama does not "diss" Christianity--that is simply being over-sensitive to intellectual arguments he has presented.

I am totally confused as to why you have thrown Judaism into the mix, as most American Jews are liberal and would probably never join the Republican party due to their core beliefs regarding social justice, equality and acceptance.

The entire premise as you have presented it is totally faulty, having no logic to it whatsoever, and you are conflating abortion, gay marriage and Catholic hospitals with being open-minded.

So I would wager -- No -- Democrats who are Christians will not, in fact, be turned off by the Democratic party and turn to Republican party. I also think that it is much more likely that because so many Republicans act so very unChristian-like in their attitude toward others that this would turn off true Christians (who practice the principles of Christianity), to a much higher degree.

However, I do believe that the Republican anti-science stance does turn off science-minded Republicans.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,548,631 times
Quote:
The far left is continuing to be anti-Christian and pro-Islam/atheist. We have Obama(who claims to be a Christian) dissing Christianity, we have the far left liberals trying to challenge everything to do with religion(or, Christianity and Judaism), and liberals trying to take away businesses rights(See, Hobby Lobby) or the rights of the Catholic owned Hospitals. Then of course, there's the issue of gay marriage and abortion.

The African-American Christians are mostly Democrat. For the most part, they are very religious, even more so than many white Christians. Will they realize that the Democrats aren't actually on their side, and they are members of a party that is becoming more and more anti-Christian? How about all those Catholic Hispanics?
What the heck is pro-islam/atheist?

Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
What's a Christian Democrat? I don't think I've met one.
You just did. There's lots of us out there. Broaden your horizons.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,493,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
This Christians I know were more apt to vote for the Republicans 10 years ago than they are today. The Religious Right has really jumped the shark. I suspect we'll see a growing Religious Left in the future.
There is a growing movement called The Christian Left, long overdue.

The Christian Left Welcomes You

Old 03-16-2015, 06:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Absoletely, I never said that all missions require this, but a surprising number do! And thats my point. By moving to a faith based eat or be forced to listen to prayers, or participate we're creating a religion based environment. Your soup kitchens are a mild example, I presume people are allowed to not participate.

How would you feel if Islamic missions were setup that required you to listen to a sermon about Allah for 15 minutes before you could stay the night? Would that be just as OK?

What if they were funded from Saudi Arabia? Still OK?

how about the church of Scientology?

I'm not OK with either. Its wrong to try and move peoples necessities into forced religious indoctrination. But many churches would absolutely love it.

And even you admit-you didn't screen those, you state "its possible some might require some sort of church attendance".

Remember this is how you started before you changed the goal posts:
What the H*ll (since we're talking about religion) is your issue? Would it be better for these people to sleep outside in the bitter cold? Funded by Saudi Arabia? What kind of foolishness is that? (Saudi Arabia is supposedly our friend, anyway.) That sounds like that anti-Catholic stuff that Kennedy had to face when he ran for president, funded by the Holy See, etc? Listen to yourself.

BTW, how much volunteer work have you done for the homeless? Or the poor?

Old 03-16-2015, 07:11 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
There is a growing movement called The Christian Left, long overdue.

The Christian Left Welcomes You
The Christian left is shrinking. The Episcopal churches are shrinking big time. The Presbyterian church lost members after their gay marriage stance.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:

Well, as a registered Democrat and Christian I support a separation of church and state. There is absolutely nothing the left is currently doing that would influence me to be a conservative. Nothing...

Old 03-16-2015, 07:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
What the H*ll (since we're talking about religion) is your issue? Would it be better for these people to sleep outside in the bitter cold? Funded by Saudi Arabia? What kind of foolishness is that? (Saudi Arabia is supposedly our friend, anyway.) That sounds like that anti-Catholic stuff that Kennedy had to face when he ran for president, funded by the Holy See, etc? Listen to yourself.

BTW, how much volunteer work have you done for the homeless? Or the poor?
LOL. Im not christian, and find the attempts by Christians or other religious folks to indoctrinate me, and others to be offensive. Imagine that.

I currently am housing someone in one of my spare rooms who would otherwise be homeless due to her medical issues (neurological, possibly Lou Gehrigs- a horrible disease thats hard to diagnose). She may end up dying in that room. So I find that personal attack to be mildly humorous. Thats probably more then 99% of our country does. And I have done it for others in the past as well (who weren't sick or dying-just needed some help to get back on their feet).

The poor? Read what I post here. In addition I have donated to local food banks. Not tons I will admit, but 100 here, a 100 there. Probably average 200/year.

Sooo...I'm probably one of the worst targets for that sort of "what have you done!" comment.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I was just askin'. Good for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies