Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

BEMIDJI, Minn. – A Minnesota family has filed a lawsuit against a restaurant for what they call a ‘fatal mistake.’

“He could light up a room,” Cindy Johnson said.

Scott Johnson was known for his bright smile and adventurous attitude.

“One mistake can take someone’s life,” Teen dies from allergic reaction after eating at restaurant | KFOR.com

Old 03-16-2015, 03:25 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
That is just so incredibly sad.

I hope this is posted at every restaurant because I suspect that many people just don't take food allergies seriously enough.

I admit that I was someone who thought eating dairy-free, gluten-free, etc. were preferences, not necessities. I thought that the only food allergies that people could actually die from were nut allergies. Well I learned something today.

Thanks, John1960.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:27 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quite a lot was lacking in that story.

Was the grill not "decontaminated" enough? Was milk accidentally put in the batter? Was the wrong order delivered?

For most scenarios I can guess about, if I were on the jury, it would take extreme negligence or a willful act for me to award the family anything.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:29 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Sad story

Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
When the penalty is death, I wouldn't trust a cook and I would darn sure have my epipen. Tragic and heartbreaking but there is no lawsuit. It's just emotional right now.

Old 03-16-2015, 03:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
What a shame.

The kid had scares before.

What was he doing dining in a restaurant, any restaurant? If your allergy is that severe and life threatening, you don't relinquish control of your food.

What was this poor kid/ family doing dining out without his EpiPen and nebulizer?

Sounds to me like a personal injury lawyer convinced the family, "someone has to pay".

Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BEMIDJI, Minn. – A Minnesota family has filed a lawsuit against a restaurant for what they call a ‘fatal mistake.’

“One mistake can take someone’s life,” Teen dies from allergic reaction after eating at restaurant | KFOR.com
He "suffered a severe dairy allergy since birth"?

I smell a vaccine in this.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:11 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
What a shame.

The kid had scares before.

What was he doing dining in a restaurant, any restaurant? If your allergy is that severe and life threatening, you don't relinquish control of your food.

What was this poor kid/ family doing dining out without his EpiPen and nebulizer?

Sounds to me like a personal injury lawyer convinced the family, "someone has to pay".
I agree.

If an allergy is that severe then you have to absolutely control your child's food supply.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:58 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
When the penalty is death, I wouldn't trust a cook and I would darn sure have my epipen. Tragic and heartbreaking but there is no lawsuit. It's just emotional right now.
Exactly.

Also, this is a tragedy, but the lesson to be learned isn't to make sure that cooks are heeding your demands that grills be scrubbed for one customer, but to be sure you don't leave home without your Epipen.

It appears that they, themselves, were cavalier about this child's condition. That is not the fault of the restaurant.

Old 03-16-2015, 04:59 PM

2,062 posts, read 2,549,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I would never take my child to a restaurant if he or she had that severe of an allergy. Seriously you never really know what is in the food. The parents are to blame as well. And they forgot to take his medicine? Blame can go around on this.

I do believe that restaurants should be required to post the ingredients that are in their food for the benefit of those with medical conditions who are on restricted diets. You can find ingredients info on some websites like McDonalds and Cicis's Pizza but for a case this severe better to be safe rather than sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies