Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,136,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Like he said- a Libertarian Paradise!
Exactly. Libertarians live in a naive fantasyland where just take away regulations and the best of humanity will fill the void. Of course Haiti is corrupt. What would stop it? Regulations? Can't have that.

Haiti is a libertarian's dream. Own it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 11:12 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,009,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The libertarian movement is undeniably influential, especially in the US, but also worldwide. Milton Friedman, who self-identified as libertarian, was perhaps the most influential economist of the 20th century. The libertarian Cato institute has been ranked as one of the top 10 most influential US think tanks.

Yet despite the popularity and influence, I think it's safe to say that not one of 196 nations in existence is remotely close to being libertarian. From what I've read, Hong Kong may have been closest until it was ceded back to Red China by the Brits. The US in the 19th century had a lot of libertarian aspects, albeit for white males only.

We've had nations governed by strange and radical ideologies from communism to fascism to Islamism, to "l'etat, c'est moi." Yet never so far in the history of the world has there been even one libertarian-based nation

One can imagine King George III chatting up his court in early 1776 about the inevitable permanence of the rule of the monarchy over his kingdom, and asking, rhetorically of course, "Why have there never been any constitutional republics?"

Just a thought ...

Anyway, our time will come. We have been close before, as an example in this country in the late 1700's and early 1800's (as you note). Unfortunately, Lincoln took us off course. I think the modern state is close to collapsing under it's own weight, and the innate desire of individuals to live in freedom will result in a return to our founding principles. At least, one can always hope ...

Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Exactly. Libertarians live in a naive fantasyland where just take away regulations and the best of humanity will fill the void. Of course Haiti is corrupt. What would stop it? Regulations? Can't have that.

Haiti is a libertarian's dream. Own it.
Haiti has always been a brutal police state. It has more in common with the radical left than wth libertarianism.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
One can imagine King George III chatting up his court in early 1776 about the inevitable permanence of the rule of the monarchy over his kingdom, and asking, rhetorically of course, "Why have there never been any constitutional republics?"

Just a thought ...

Anyway, our time will come. We have been close before, as an example in this country in the late 1700's and early 1800's (as you note). Unfortunately, Lincoln took us off course. I think the modern state is close to collapsing under it's own weight, and the innate desire of individuals to live in freedom will result in a return to our founding principles. At least, one can always hope ...
It counts as 'close' when individual rights only applied to a small minority?

(Those being white male landowners)

And it's funny to me how so many Libertarians are also neoconfederates. I guess that's kinda consistent if you don't see black people as human.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:26 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
It counts as 'close' when individual rights only applied to a small minority?

(Those being white male landowners)

And it's funny to me how so many Libertarians are also neoconfederates. I guess that's kinda consistent if you don't see black people as human.
Yawn.

Do you catch much when race baiting?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,190,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Because libertarians are basically anti-government and tend not to want to be involved with it. So, the people that are involved in it tend to be pro-government, to at least some degree.

As a result, those pro-government folks who are actually in the government start implementing laws and policies that are not libertarian, as they fear the masses of the people; and because the libertarians all stay home, moaning and grumbling, but not doing much else as far as shaping our government goes.

a nation such as when the USA was formed is a classic republic or a classic democrat nation, but it is also a Libertarian nation. a nation where the government is involved in peoples lives very little and only provides for defense against force and fraud. which is what a nation is supposed to be doing.

all of these extras are just pure folly and should be stricken from the government.

I do not mind government at all, I just believe in limited government, not the monster that both the republican and democrat parties have created.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Yawn.

Do you catch much when race baiting?
It's race-baiting to point out that LOTS of Libertarians side with a government that supported slavery? Do you claim that's not the case (I can provide examples if you like)? Or is the enslavement of humans not important since they don't look like you?

Old 03-17-2015, 12:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
It's race-baiting to point out that LOTS of Libertarians side with a government that supported slavery? Do you claim that's not the case (I can provide examples if you like)? Or is the enslavement of humans not important since they don't look like you?
If you support someone having the right to burn the American flag does that mean you support burning the American flag?

Supporting the right of states to secede is not the same thing as supporting slavery. You should read the deceleration of independence when you have a chance.

Last edited by shooting4life; 03-17-2015 at 12:53 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,087,610 times
Quote:
No one that has ever supported slavery could be considered a libertarian by any meaning of the word that I am aware of.

Last edited by r small; 03-17-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
a nation such as when the USA was formed is a classic republic or a classic democrat nation, but it is also a Libertarian nation. a nation where the government is involved in peoples lives very little and only provides for defense against force and fraud. which is what a nation is supposed to be doing.

all of these extras are just pure folly and should be stricken from the government.

I do not mind government at all, I just believe in limited government, not the monster that both the republican and democrat parties have created.
The point of this thread is that precisely zero functional real-world examples of this imaginary government exist.

Whereas innumerable examples exist where people have been harmed and exploited in an environment without government regulation.

And ALL modern examples of 'limited government' are anarchistic hellholes where only the strong and wealthy have security and even basic necessities. It's a clear demonstration of why Libertarian ideology looks good on paper but does NOT work in the real world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies