Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 09:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
No, it came because the Constitution wasnt clear enough and allowed certain laws to remain legal that discriminated against black people.

Does it matter, the point is that being gay can get you disowned by your entire family where as that never happened to black people.
But you can still hide your sexual identity. I can't hide my skin color from society.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:54 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never said Blacks own the civil rights struggle. I'm just saying stop comparing the gay civil rights with Black civil rights because they are not the same. Not all struggles are the same. There are different levels.
And many people agrees blacks struggles are not more important or special than other peoples struggle. Learn how to accept everybody and treat everybody equal.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:56 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
But you can still hide your sexual identity. I can't hide my skin color from society.
Your argument is a falsehood for multiple reasons.

Gay for most people is a perception, you dont have to be gay to be persecuted as such.

As for hiding your skin color, people who are light enough certainly can claim to be a different race.

But none of that matter as your point was invalid, it doesnt matter if you can hide it, the point is that the truth in and of itself would cause harm for some. You claiming you can hide it doesnt negate that.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
How about you, op, stop saying "homosexual community" like all gays are an amorphous blob of like-minded sheeple with all the same thoughts, ideas, prejudices, culture, etc.

It is as dumb as saying "heterosexual community."

I sure as heck would never presume to say "black community" or whatever silliness thing like that.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:58 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Pick on gays?? Look at my post history. I talk about all kinds of controversial thread topics that include Blacks, Whites, Feminism, Domestic Violence, Gays, etc. You can't pigeon-hole me so don't even try.
I am talking about this thread that you started. And yes you are picking on gays.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:01 PM

96 posts, read 85,192 times
Quote:
Pick on gays?? Look at my post history. I talk about all kinds of controversial thread topics that include Blacks, Whites, Feminism, Domestic Violence, Gays, etc. You can't pigeon-hole me so don't even try.
Haha, all I gotta say is I find it ironic (moronic?) that after all the struggles black people went through, they've become the biggest opposers of the gay rights movement.

Oh yeah, I've also found that people who go out of their way saying "homosexual" instead of "gay" are the biggest closet homophobes out there. This is also how some conservatives have found a convenient way to talk down to and about gay people and be able to deny it. For example, every time a fox news commentator mentions the word "homosexual", they say it with a slightly different tone than their normal voice.

While I can't exactly pick up the tone of your "voice" through a forum post on the internet, I find it curious that you've gone out of your way several times to use the word "homosexual".

Added by edit.

Short story.

Years ago, a girl friend of mine was invited to an event. Very fancy. She had just broken up with her boyfriend so she asked me to accompany her. While we were there, everyone just assumed we were together.

Anyway, we came across this older couple. After talking a little bit, the woman mentioned that it's funny someone told her I was "that". She said the word "that" with a different, quieter tone. I asked what do you mean? She said, you know, "that".

I'm sure every gay person has had similar experience with a closet homophobe before. Anyway, carry on.

Last edited by MetroZombie; 03-16-2015 at 10:12 PM..

Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your argument is a falsehood for multiple reasons.

Gay for most people is a perception, you dont have to be gay to be persecuted as such.

As for hiding your skin color, people who are light enough certainly can claim to be a different race.
The overwhelming majority of Blacks cannot hide their race.

Quote:
But none of that matter as your point was invalid, it doesnt matter if you can hide it, the point is that the truth in and of itself would cause harm for some. You claiming you can hide it doesnt negate that
My point is that you can't compare Black struggle to the gay struggle.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:12 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Orgasmic rights do not equate with civil rights in any way, shape or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroZombie View Post
Haha, all I gotta say is I find it ironic (moronic?) that after all the struggles black people went through, they've become the biggest opposers of the gay rights movement.

Oh yeah, I've also found that people who go out of their way saying "homosexual" instead of "gay" are the biggest closet homophobes out there. This is also how some conservatives have found a convenient way to talk down to and about gay people and be able to deny it. For example, every time a fox news commentator mentions the word "homosexual", they say it with a slightly different tone than their normal voice.

While I can't exactly pick up the tone of your "voice" through a forum post on the internet, I find it curious that you've gone out of your way several times to use the word "homosexual".
I've used both "homosexual" and "gay". Also I clearly stated that I wasn't a homophobe, so this whole conspiracy about my secret agenda against gays should stop.

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 16 days ago)

29,543 posts, read 16,524,552 times
Quote:
The overwhelming majority of Blacks cannot hide their race.
but some can.

And like I said, you dont have to actually be gay for someone to attack you for being gay.

Quote:
My point is that you can't compare Black struggle to the gay struggle.
whether or not you can compare them is a matter of opinion. You have a right to that opinion, but your arguments are based on a false premise.

arguing that you can hide it has nothing to do with the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies