Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 AM

100 posts, read 81,513 times

Advertisements

I am black and you are not my voice. You do not speak for me. The gay civil rights struggle is valid and just as important and equal as the black civil rights struggle.

This isn't the oppression Olympics.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM

39,069 posts, read 27,488,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Liberals have to compare and quantify pain and struggle. It's inevitable because liberalism is a coalition of special interest groups. There are very few people who are liberal for the sake of being liberal. Most are liberal because they are environmentalists or union sympathizers or homosexual or women or black or Hispanic or atheist or some other self identified victim. You want proof of that? Just look at the voting demographics. Despite the left's desperate attempts to paint conservatives as racist religious corporatist extremists, the voting stats show that the bulk of Republican voters are average mainstream Americans. Given that the Democrats only win elections by appealing to various special interest groups, it becomes necessary for them to sort issues out like the one in this thread because the interests of the various victim groups the Democrats pander to are not always in alignment. What do you do when the gay man whose vote you want is pro-life and the single woman whose vote you want is anti-gay marriage? What do you do when the plant the environmentalist whose vote you want is trying to shut down is the employer for the union member whose vote you want?

For a blatant demonstration of the complete lack of true principles on the left, just look at New York's tax zones. For all the Democrat rhetoric about evil corporations and needing the rich to pay their fair share and trickle down economics being a complete failure, you'd think that'd be a core principle of the Democrats, right? Nope. New York, the bluest of blue places, is running a program of reduced taxes for businesses to set up or relocate there. So when it suits them, they are utilizing the exact supply side principle of lower corporate taxes for job creation that they trash and bash and shriek at conservatives about when Republicans advocate them.

Sorry if you leftists find that offensive, but facts are facts.
Sorry I am not a lefty.

I've lost a boyfriend to suicide, I learned from my suicide survivor grief group that "Every pain and loss is unique. there is no reason to compare or quantity pain and loss."

I agree with the poster (OP) because I do not believe one can compare or quantity pain or struggle. That makes me a "lefty."? Just have to love CD.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,663,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
You need to understand, LGBT people had to wear a a pink triangle and marched with Jews into oblivion in the Death factories in NAZI controlled Europe within human memory. So I leave it to you which is heavier bearing the cross of Sodomy or the cross of Cain?
I suspect that many people simply do not know the history of the persecution of gays throughout history right up to and including the incredibly sad case of Alan Turing, recently personified in "The Imitation Game."

Do people realize that it was literally illegal to be gay in Great Britain until the later part of the 20th century?

As was noted earlier in the thread, civil rights are civil rights.
i suspect that the OP is making distinctions between what s/he perceives to be inherent characteristics (skin color) vs. choice-based behavior, as I am sure a lot of people do.
Or perhaps s/he is simply jealous of/angered by the attention that the issue is getting when there is indeed so much more work to be done to achieve parity for Blacks.

Unfortunately, it is that "what about me" attitude that turns many people off.
I agree 100% that the struggle for Blacks is not over, but, denigrating another group for pushing for their own piece of the pie is not going to address those issues.

The energy the OP exerts on this issue would doubtless be better spent elsewhere.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:32 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nobody is denying "gays" any rights! So, stop it! Just stop it! Quit whining. You have the same rights anybody else has. What you want are special rights. You want special treatment and special consideration.

You are NOT a minority group.
Bull, we are a minority group and saying we are not is your way of marginalizing us. We are denied equal work place protections, we are denied marriage. Asking for those is not special treatment, it is asking to be treated the same as everyone else. Can you be fired for beint straight, are you denied marriage for being straight?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,579,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Nobody is denying "gays" any rights! So, stop it! Just stop it! Quit whining. You have the same rights anybody else has. What you want are special rights. You want special treatment and special consideration.

You are NOT a minority group.
Yeah, that works, if a gay wants to pretend to be straight. But not all of them can or want to do that, and that's why you're so wrong.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 03-17-2015 at 09:57 AM..

Old 03-17-2015, 09:33 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,474,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
That is an agenda.

For everything else we agree on some and disagree on others.
And was it not an agenda that blacks had in persuing their equal rights?

Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM

8,631 posts, read 12,964,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
You may want to get to the bottom of this anger. I'm sorry to hear that you feel the LGBT community has hurt you in some way. Keep in mind, we are stronger together than as isolated groups. BTW, nobody said the struggles were the same. Like so many posts here, the OP seems to be obsessed with a singular issue that she really has no control over. You cannot force people to "not" think something. Peace out.
If you can't even get my gender right then I don't think you should be even commenting on this thread. Just saying...

Old 03-17-2015, 09:40 AM

5,724 posts, read 3,240,423 times
blacks are born black. Homosexuality has still yet to be proven a born trait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I am by no means a homophobic person but there are some issues that need to be addressed with the Gay community. I have no problem with people who say that gay rights is civil rights but please stop comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black American civil rights struggle because not all struggles are the same. Here's some things the Gay community needs to understand.

1. Black Americans paved the way for a lot of these minority groups(Gays, Hispanics, etc) to even have rights in this country. So please start showing some respect.

2. Stop expecting Blacks to automatically support your causes when Blacks are struggling to support their on causes. You can't a expect an oppressed group to help another minority group when we can barely help ourselves as a community.

3. Stop acting like racism doesn't exist in the homosexual community. Just because your gay doesn't mean you can't be racists or prejudice. Your sexuality preference has nothing to with your racial identity. Yeah, I know some of you don't want to here that but it's the cold hard truth.

4. It's very insulting to many African Americans when you say that homosexuals have suffered just as bad as Blacks have throughout American history. Of course we all know that is far from the truth.

I want to stress again that I don't hate homosexuals (just in case someone wants to defame my character) but this silliness when it comes to comparing the Gay rights struggle with the Black rights struggle needs to stop. It's getting old and people are growing tired of it so please cut the crap!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Laugh all you want.
As a brown woman, I have been treated crappily far more often for being a woman than brown.
Look at how know-nothing/done-nothing Obama beat Clinton for the nomination.
It only recently became illegal to rape your wife in this country.
Black men could vote before women.
Become a professional MALE athlete and guys will give you more respect and admiration than any woman.

Hell, even women hate women.
Well men are physically stronger than women, so It's not a surprise that males are better athletes. Not all women go through the same oppression. Another problem is that we keep lumping all women together as if they have all shared the same level of oppression without taking into account racial privileged that has always existed in the United States. For example if you look at American history, Black women were fighting to be considered a human being while White women were fighting to "get out of the kitchen". Big difference.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
but you are running from the my point, which is that your argument in and of itself was based on a falsehood.
No it's not and I'm not running away from your point as I have answered it multiple times already.

Quote:
simply being gay can cause harm to an individual, which you seem to be completely removing from your argument in your claims or simply ignoring it when someone else brings it up.
I never said being gay couldn't cause harm to an individual but at the same time all gays can hide their sexuality if they choose to, 99% of Blacks cannot hide their skin color. Have you ever heard of the one drop rule that existed in America? The problem is that you keep using the 1% as if they are the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.