Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:46 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

The following is the latest in a new series of articles on AlterNet called Fear in America that launched this March. Read the introduction to the series.

The biggest con job perpetrated on the consumer is not some shady operation selling bogus cures through TV infomercials. America’s biggest snake-oil salesman is actually the beverage industry, or Big Bev, which resells the simplest and most vital product for thousands of times its value. That product is drinking water.

Bottled water is a scam: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola and the beverage industry’s greatest con - Salon.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 01:13 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
You needed an article to tell you that ?????

You even been to a theme park ? No water fountains and a bottled water is like 8 bucks.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You needed an article to tell you that ?????

You even been to a theme park ? No water fountains and a bottled water is like 8 bucks.
This why I only hike trails where there are water fountains.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I can remember the beginnings of bottles water in England........ all drinking water came from the tap when I was a kid. Then, about 35 years ago, I saw my first billboard ad for bottled water. It was for the French brand 'Perrier'. "Nice green bottle" I thought to myself, and laughed. The idea of bottled water for sale, when it came free from a tap seemed ridiculous to me.

Well, shows you what I know. They DID manage to sell something that comes free from a tap. Go down the water aisles in supermarkets........ lots of different brands of bottled water. Water from the tap here in England, is pure, and perfectly drinkable, but these companies with their campaigns have managed to convince folks their product is better. Ads showing mountain springs, and such......... just shows you. Ice can be sold to Eskimos........

Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
A fool and his money is soon parted.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:49 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Some of the being water paranoid is justifiable. I won't name the city but they have had algae problems every now and then and informed people not to drink the water unless boiled first. The last time this took place the water had a orange tint and smelled awful. I think a lot of people would freak after that experience and switch to bottled water. If you saw orange tinted water for several days would you be freaked out?

I also have experienced bad bottled water. Sister in laws family are bottled water junkies, she had this one brand which I will not name that tasted awful. I took note of the brand and dumped it. I am blessed with a artisian well water so it could be I am spoiled, but still when visiting I carry my water with me.

Another experience I had was working as a cashier at a gas station/store. I will not name the brand but they sell " smart water" and there are people that think that by drinking this water it will make them smarter I had customers ask me if that product works of course it was my job to sell product, I always said I did not know but it would not hurt to try.

The multi nationals have a good game going when they can convince people against tap water and sell water that makes you smart.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
I don't think I've seen a water ad make any of these claims. As usually the problem/question is nowhere as simple as this article claims. It's an article to draw clicks, not make a good solid argument which is why they have to resort to hyperbole.

Is paying $2.25 for a 20oz bottle of water a "rip off"? Yeah, I would agree but water isn't water isn't water.

I can use tap water and my coffee pot is clogged in a few months. I can use cheap distilled water and it lasts for years. (less than a $1 a gallon). So tap water and other water isn't necessarily the same as this article is saying. The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
So who is twisting anyone's arm to buy water?

C'mon. it's Salon. It's probably all about the environment and plastic bottles.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The following is the latest in a new series of articles on AlterNet called Fear in America that launched this March. Read the introduction to the series.

The biggest con job perpetrated on the consumer is not some shady operation selling bogus cures through TV infomercials. America’s biggest snake-oil salesman is actually the beverage industry, or Big Bev, which resells the simplest and most vital product for thousands of times its value. That product is drinking water.

Bottled water is a scam: PepsiCo, Coca-Cola and the beverage industry’s greatest con - Salon.com
When you have well water like we do, which is untreated, bottled water for drinking is no scam. It tastes so much better. Now, we could treat our water, as many do ... but such systems are not cheap.

Old 03-17-2015, 05:35 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
In this era of mass production with so much now being offshored to the 3rd world, the supply of any given product is almost never an issue. Accordingly, what needs to be manufactured is demand. I get the strong impression that so many are blissfully ignorant that the contemporary world is owned and controlled by marketeers and that we little folks, who were formerly citizens, have now been reduced to consumers.

Just an old phart's observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies