Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2015, 10:56 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Well the Irish are not constantly complaining about this and that done to their ancestors 3 or 4 or more generations removed and we see the bros. on the tv news committing most of crime and still wanting more freebies without contributing jack so there it is. Then of course is reinterpreting the past to make themselves feel good. Black Athena you there? King Tut-Bro you there? etc.etc. Maybe them long dead Confederates were right all along. Devil's Children and all that stuff.
Actually the Irish are constantly whining about what was done to their ancestors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 10:59 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's never gonna happen. We're not dropping a darn thing.

So...
Then quit complaining!

Old 03-18-2015, 11:03 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually the Irish are constantly whining about what was done to their ancestors.
Yeah...and the IRA was born from their willingness to forgive and forget.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
simple.......the Irish are still white.

They can say that the Irish were worse off than blacks but we know that is a lie.

The Irish did not have to worry about being lynched.

The Irish were NOT slaves.

The Irish could not be raped at any time.

The Irish did not have to march in the 60's,and have another amendment so they could vote.
Basically this.

But I will say I enjoy St. Patrick's Day and I do admire Irish culture and literature especially. I actually think the treatment of the Irish in Ireland was VERY similar to the treatment of blacks here in America where they were slaves and raped at any time and killed frequently, which is the primary reason so many Irish came to America - they were heavily discriminated against.

But here in America, they can just be white, not Irish castoffs in the UK. So they can enjoy the privilege of being white in America and people can just have fun on St. Paddy 's Day due to that and not complain about it being Irish. Including black people I might add.

And FWIW, black people usually do have very large celebrations for Dr. King's birthday. And I remember hearing a comedian once say, they should have made June black history month. Then we could have had parades and barbecues all summer lol. FWIW, that would be fun.

Luckily where I live they do a lot to celebrate black history month. Even though mostly black people celebrate it, some whites come out to the events as well.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
where?

Old 03-18-2015, 11:12 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,814,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
where?
Here in America and in Ireland.

FWIW, I don't think they are "whining" but they do speak of the oppression and discrimination they faced in both countries.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:28 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Here in America and in Ireland.

FWIW, I don't think they are "whining" but they do speak of the oppression and discrimination they faced in both countries.
I don't think anyone that speaks on their people's history is "whining".

Are Jews "whining" when they talk about the Holocaust? No, it should be something never forgotten and that is how many Jews treat the subject, and rightfully so.

Why should it be any different for blacks and slavery, Irish and their oppression/colonization or anyone else?

Some people in this country just don't like to be reminded of negative aspects of American history, but will have no problem speaking on other nations.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Then quit complaining!
What did I complain about?

You're the one complaining about stuff...like the African American thing.

I've already said that I don't mind if folks complain about black based commemorations or events. In fact, their anger makes me happy.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't think anyone that speaks on their people's history is "whining".

Are Jews "whining" when they talk about the Holocaust? No, it should be something never forgotten and that is how many Jews treat the subject, and rightfully so.

Why should it be any different for blacks and slavery, Irish and their oppression/colonization or anyone else?

Some people in this country just don't like to be reminded of negative aspects of American history, but will have no problem speaking on other nations.
It is an interesting dichotomy.

People that have no issue with reinforcing the philosophy of "never forget" with regards to the Holocaust also have no qualms about telling Blacks that they need to move on.

The reactions from mainstream whites regarding any attempts by Blacks or American Indians to recapture some semblance of their own histories and autonomy are too often typified by ridicule, anger, dismissal and worse (think Selma and Wounded Knee).
I've little doubt that deep at the base of these reactions is the belief that a) they had it coming, b) why don't/didn't they understand that we know/knew what's best for them, and c) they aren't really people anyway so whatever.

To the OP's point, the fact remains that while St. Patrick's Day and Columbus Day are the best-known examples, there are hundreds of these sorts of celebrations all around the country - Sweden is celebrated in Minnesota, Germany in Fredericksburg, TX and so on.

Sadly, Blacks don't have the opportunity for similar celebrations because we don't know where we came from other than from "Africa."

I honestly do believe that someone without this heritage can never understand what it means to have no "homeland," no traditions, no oral history passed down from one generation to the next.

While I think that some little attempt at empathy would be nice, I do understand that it is likely very hard to conceptualize and internalize something that is so foreign from one's own experience.

Suffice it to say that I think a good analogy would be people that decide to search for their birth parents after adoption because they have a desperate need to know where they come from.

A few other random thoughts:
St. Patrick was not Irish by birth. He was kidnapped by slavers and taken to Ireland as a teenager to tend sheep.

St. Patrick's Day Facts: Snakes, a Slave, and a Saint

There are any number of histories that detail how cruelly the Irish were treated by England and that cruelty did extend to the New World.

The slaves that time forgot

Finally, yes, there were Irish slave-holders and many American Blacks are their decedents.

'Kiss me, I'm Irish' took on a new meaning when DNA proved that I was | Michael Twitty | Comment is free | The Guardian

Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Everyone wants to be a little bit Irish on St. Patrick's Day.
no you get it wrong.
it should be "Everybody is Irish on St. Patrick's Day" ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies