Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:43 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times

Advertisements

I lean left on some issues.

I lean right on other issues.

I'm not an ideologue by any means and most of the people I know are the same way.

The politics forum is one of my favorite reads on CD, but when I read some of the posts I'm routinely surprised by the vitriol and ignorance on both sides.

Why do you think that is? Are the hardliners from both camps just naturally more inclined to post here?

Old 03-18-2015, 09:56 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post

I'm not an ideologue by any means and most of the people I know are the same way.

The politics forum is one of my favorite reads on CD, but when I read some of the posts I'm routinely surprised by the vitriol and ignorance on both sides.

Why do you think that is? Are the hardliners from both camps just naturally more inclined to post here?
Just like the real world..........nothing new.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The internet has given a voice to legions of idiots and low-lives who would never have been heard from prior to its existence..their insane ranting letters to the editors of Newspapers and magazines would have been deposited in the circular file.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:05 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:

No, a lot of the people posting like that are troll like and love to see people get riled up. I really doubt many of them are as ridiculous as they act.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:07 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:

Depends.

Right-wing hardliners are purists. They believe in an ideology.

Liberals get lumped into "left-wing hardliners." Most people are somewhere from centrist (socially / somewhat liberal) to hard-core liberal. Generally, the more "liberal" a person, the more they seek the truth. Reality usually coincides with liberalism. Theism sides with right-wingers.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:08 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
Quote:
Bingo. Normal humans with intelligent observations generally do not spend much of their time on internet politics forums. Kooky people who religiously listen to am radio shows and believe in paranoid conspiracies do. They're the only ones who care enough about this nonsense.

Intelligent people who come here are mainly the types who are blowing off some steam in between work and have a mean streak...they enjoy making fun of the kooky people. It's good, light-hearted fun.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:22 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
No, a lot of the people posting like that are troll like and love to see people get riled up. I really doubt many of them are as ridiculous as they act.
I tend to agree with you. It seems inconceivable to me that some of the people on this form are as nutty as they appear. I bet if we sat down over coffee they would have a totally different point of view.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:

Hi there Spot,

I guess I wonder about some of the same things also. & I don't have the answers although I do agree with some of the previous posts to your thread. I guess, like most things, the confluence of many factors are involved. The fact the internet can be seen as a way to sometimes 'anonymously' voice one's thoughtviews contributes to a sometimes 'mob mentality.' I like to think that if the individuals members met 'irl' or in the real world - face to face - the, as you said, 'vitriol' would be less than is demonstrated here at times.

& perhaps Andy Warhol was somewhat prescient about the '15 minutes of fame' thing?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:28 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
I tend to agree with you. It seems inconceivable to me that some of the people on this form are as nutty as they appear. I bet if we sat down over coffee they would have a totally different point of view.
When you have the opinion that someone else opinion is nutty , you could just as easy be judged and nutty. Just because you disagree with an opinion does not make it any more nutty than your opinion

Old 03-18-2015, 10:31 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,092,166 times
The internet allows for anonymity, so more extreme views are going to be expressed. Some people are just here for an outlet to their bias, and others are trolls. I'd imagine most are fairly moderate in how they express their views in everyday life. But everyone has an issue they feel passionately about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies