Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Here is a question. If you use the benefits of taxation (roads, schools, parks etc.) haven't you consented?
We need to pay taxes but everyone needs to pay instead of demanding other people pick up their slack. By your comment shouldn't the people who don't pay get off the roads, not send their kids to school that I help pay for. If I pay 4 times as much as the next person does that mean I get to drive 4 times faster?

Everyone needs to pay. If the poor can't pay they should be required to work to contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 09:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I've read this philosophy from different libertarians who talk about taxes being theft and that they should be illegal because of that. But ....
Your mistake was actually giving that bit of idiocy a second thought. I could say that green is orange but it doesn't make it so, and so can and should be dismissed out of hand rather than playing into the foolishness of puerile libertarian fantasy.

Quote:
Don't people realize what taxes pay for?
They think selfishly. Exclusively. So they only worry about what needs to be paid for, for their own personal benefit. Some of the things you mentioned are things that they feel comfortable that they are or will be able to pay for themselves, and so there is only negative value associated with society ensuring that everyone has such things (like education for the young). Other things are things that they feel that they'll never make use of themselves, and again it is callous disregard for others that motivates them to apply abject selfishness to justify their opposition.

But again, it's irrelevant. You're giving their inane, immoral self-delusion too much credence.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Your mistake was actually giving that bit of idiocy a second thought. I could say that green is orange but it doesn't make it so, and so can and should be dismissed out of hand rather than playing into the foolishness of puerile libertarian fantasy.

They think selfishly. Exclusively. So they only worry about what needs to be paid for, for their own personal benefit. Some of the things you mentioned are things that they feel comfortable that they are or will be able to pay for themselves, and so there is only negative value associated with society ensuring that everyone has such things (like education for the young). Other things are things that they feel that they'll never make use of themselves, and again it is callous disregard for others that motivates them to apply abject selfishness to justify their opposition.

But again, it's irrelevant. You're giving their inane, immoral self-delusion too much credence.
People who don't pay, who don't contribute in any way to society and are takers are selfish.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:27 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money. - G. Gordon Liddy
G. Gordon Liddy went to federal prison for burglary.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:29 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Which taxes are you talking about? Income taxes? Capital gains? Sales tax? Property tax? Excise tax?
Good question.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If I pay 4 times as much as the next person does that mean I get to drive 4 times faster?
IMO........it means you are doing something wrong when you file your taxes.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
We need to pay taxes but everyone needs to pay instead of demanding other people pick up their slack. By your comment shouldn't the people who don't pay get off the roads, not send their kids to school that I help pay for. If I pay 4 times as much as the next person does that mean I get to drive 4 times faster?

Everyone needs to pay. If the poor can't pay they should be required to work to contribute.

You seem to be confused about the topic of this tread. But thank you for agreeing that taxes are necessary and not theft.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
You seem to be confused about the topic of this tread. But thank you for agreeing that taxes are necessary and not theft.
Of course you ignore that "everyone" should pay.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
I've read this philosophy from different libertarians who talk about taxes being theft and that they should be illegal because of that. But what I don't understand is why do people want that? Don't people realize what taxes pay for?
  1. Schools, we forget that on the local level schools get their budgets from the state government. What do we do, just have private schools that you have to pay an arm and a leg for? We already have that, it's called college and look at the student loan bubble at about 20K per student shackling them in a way that many cannot move.
  2. Roads, roads are funded by the gas tax. If the gas tax is repealed with other taxes, who would fund the road you drive on your errands? Who will fund the bridge you cross over to go to work?
  3. Public Transportation, similar to roads public transit such as buses, trains, subways and lightrail systems can only run on fare so much, expansion of lines rely on money. Who pays for that?
  4. Defense, if there is no taxes on the federal level who will cover equipment for a war brought upon us by an attack?
I see your POV, however, much of our tax money is wasted on stuff for them, instead of what it should be used for.

what really makes people angry is when they grow older and see history being repeated, i.e. taxes again on gas to improve roads....I've lived in PA all of my life, and never have I see such bad roads anywhere else, but they keep taxing us using the excuse to better roads, but they never do, it is pathetic, and where is all that money going.

Think about it, for a moment....

misuse of funds isn't isolated, it is a big problem in government and our own communities.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:45 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
I've read this philosophy from different libertarians who talk about taxes being theft and that they should be illegal because of that. But what I don't understand is why do people want that? Don't people realize what taxes pay for?
  1. Schools, we forget that on the local level schools get their budgets from the state government. What do we do, just have private schools that you have to pay an arm and a leg for? We already have that, it's called college and look at the student loan bubble at about 20K per student shackling them in a way that many cannot move.
  2. Roads, roads are funded by the gas tax. If the gas tax is repealed with other taxes, who would fund the road you drive on your errands? Who will fund the bridge you cross over to go to work?
  3. Public Transportation, similar to roads public transit such as buses, trains, subways and lightrail systems can only run on fare so much, expansion of lines rely on money. Who pays for that?
  4. Defense, if there is no taxes on the federal level who will cover equipment for a war brought upon us by an attack?
uhm...taxes themselves are not theft...

but when you are taxing at such high rates (and its not just federal taxes..but ALL taxes when tallied up can be way more than 50% of ones income) it is robbery

your point one....not in my state...school taxes at levied and set by the town.... my property tax is two pieces...one county...covers the police, libraries, parks, etc...the big one is the town tax...its only the school...and its 3 times what the county tax.....(((they spend 24k per pupil((((and allow people to graduate who cant read)))))))..............my little 1400sf house on a 60x110 property costs me 12k a year.....20% of my income...(at least I can write it off on the federal side)

your point two....meanwhile you can lose an axel with the potholes we have...seems to me the tax isn't working

your point four....at least its the one constitutionally allowed spending

I don't mind paying taxes...don't mind having safety nets for those that need it...

I do mind unfair, and exuberant taxes

tax EVERYONE at the same rate...and if the FEDERAL government cant run on 10% (15% at the most) of everyones income.......then there is a spending problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies