Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:54 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,156,575 times

Advertisements

I guess that explains why the liberal cities of NYC, SF, Seattle, D.C., and Boston are all doing so well and have many successful people living in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 06:36 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,006,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Back when I delivered pizzas, I had a manager who was a Republican. He had a base salary plus a percentage of store profits, and paid everyone minimum wage without raises.
You probably should have stuck around and worked your way up to manager.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,876,922 times
FWIW - "successful, content, and fulfilled, satisfied, at peace, and fulfilled overall" leads to self satisfaction, stagnation and a strong desire to protect the status quo. Rage, anger and angst lead to forcing changes to make things better even at the expense of the self satisfied.

That is why complacent well off conservatives hate political and economic progressives. The latter are a threat to the former.

Old 03-19-2015, 06:54 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,035,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
As I age and meet more people, I've noticed that almost uniformly people who vote Republican are more successful, content, and fulfilled than those who vote Democrat. The Democrats are often filled with loathing, angst, and general discontent, while Republicans are often more satisfied, at peace, and fulfilled overall.

Why do you think this is? Have you noticed it?
I find the opposite.

The "democrats" I went to school with have professional careers, engage in volunteering, etc.

The "republicans" I went to school with are back home popping out babies (some are on #3, I'm still completely unready for #1), living in trailers/run down homes, and their highlight of their lives are the money pit trucks they drive around, with mudding being the apex of their entertainment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
One thing I've noticed is that many Democrats who move up financially become more satisfied, at peace and fulfilled overall. Many also become Republicans because Republican policies benefit the financially better off.
I know I started turning conservative on the financial side as my income has gone up and after I bought a property and realized how wasteful/expensive school spending is. I'm still socially liberal for the simple fact I don't believe in telling others how to live their lives, long as it's not hurting anyone else. I would think that would be a tenant of the Republican party, though they tend to want control over others I've noticed.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,644 times

On average, Democrats are more likely to be poor and Republicans are more likely to be middle or upper class. Democrats are also much more likely to use welfare services, food stamps, Medicaid, section 8, etc.

So yes, this is generally true.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:34 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,499,069 times
I generally don't go about asking people their political beliefs. In the rare instances it comes up in conversation, I have had some surprises. Many times, people don't fall into the expected camp based on their demographics. Don't believe what the media and internet pundits will tell you!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 AM

1,438 posts, read 781,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

On average, Democrats are more likely to be poor and Republicans are more likely to be middle or upper class. Democrats are also much more likely to use welfare services, food stamps, Medicaid, section 8, etc.

So yes, this is generally true.
If it that's generally true why are the poorest states like Alabama and Mississippi overwhelmingly Republican and the richest states like Connecticut and Massachusetts overwhelmingly Democratic?

Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,842,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
as I age and meet more people, I find that certain people pull ridiculous generalizations out of their posterior without even the slightest concern for factual evidence - and try to pass it off as fact, as if the rest of us were that stupid.

Cable TV, Radio and politicians have elevated opinion to factual information to an art form.

Lead with a sensational headline and bring in an "expert" with an opinion to support the headline to create the perception as factual information. Shouldn't we all be dead of Ebola by now?

People will believe just about anything that validates their often narrow perceptions.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:47 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,669,733 times
Quote:
As I age and meet more people, I've noticed that almost uniformly people who vote Republican are more successful, content, and fulfilled than those who vote Democrat. The Democrats are often filled with loathing, angst, and general discontent, while Republicans are often more satisfied, at peace, and fulfilled overall.

When you meet people, do you have a pad and pen to make note of their names and whether they are D or R? Do you ask them? Or are you more subtle in your approach; do you immediately throw out a stinging barb against the president and watch how they react?

Old 03-19-2015, 09:53 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,458,929 times
Quote:

I think that is very evident with very good reason.

The Democrat politicians (supposedly) champion the have-nots, and the Republicans champion the "haves".

If you are a "have", it is very likely that you have a good job or are retired from one, the traditional way of doing things has been at least good enough for you, and you are therefore much more likely to be content with what you have. If you are a have-not, you probably are struggling to make ends meet, you more than likely think that the traditional way of doing things has not been good enough for you, and you are therefore not content.

What most people don't realize, though, is that the great majority of the politicians of both parties are only looking out for themselves and for the elite; and most of them only want wealth and power, and so they will say and do anything to get more of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies