Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 09:41 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Source it then I will tell you more specifically where it's a load of crap.

(In general however, they are abusing correlation.)

Innumeracy is not a badge of honor.
Republican Policies Don't Help People of Color | Al Jazeera America

Old 03-20-2015, 09:52 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,730,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The income gap between Whites and Blacks has GROWN under Obama. So why hasn't his liberal policies worked for Black people? He's been the President for SIX YEARS, was hasn't he fixed it?

Wealth inequality has widened along racial, ethnic lines since end of Great Recession | Pew Research Center

White-black wealth gap widens to near record levels - Dec. 12, 2014
During his term or because of his actions? Please show causation outside of a horrible recession whose recovery has favored those of higher education and skills.

And provide some suggestions as to what he might have done differently to change this.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:53 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
They can change their mindset then and still vote Democrat! Best of both worlds.
They could, so why don't they?

Old 03-20-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They could, so why don't they?
I wish I could tell you, but I haven't been shown how switching parties is going to do it, as you have suggested. Explain how voting Republican will then change their "mindset". Because they pull the handle and suddenly see the light? Come out of the voting booth and grasp their bootstraps, giving a firm upward pull? Really? So simple, even a caveman could do it!

The burden of proof is on you, you're the one who has the plan. Maybe if you make a convincing argument, you will win everybody over? Here's your chance to change the world.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Exactly this^^^^^.

Glenn Beck actually made an excellent analogy on this today. (I know Libs will fully dismiss & say 'you lost me at Beck' but please read on).

Paraphrasing:

Let's say you swap out Republican/ Democrat for two different car dealerships. An African American walks into one dealership and states 'I will never, ever, ever buy a car from that other dealership. No way, no how... I'm a lifelong customer of yours and I'm here to buy a car from you. That said, how much you gonna give me off of the sticker price?'

Not only is the dealer going to say the car has to sell at sticker (to you), but by the time they sell you two or three cars the dealer will be making stuff up to tag on top of the sticker price.That dealer will never work in you best interest because they will never have to...

Blinding loyalty to any institution will be taken for granted. Open your minds up to the possibilities of an alternate choice (Dems might shake the snow globe vigorously in an attempt to retain your loyalty but at least the other party would be obligated to represent your constituency if you where to entertain becoming part of it).
Beck's analogy reminds me when I was looking for my first car. I went to several dealerships. I was looking for a sub-compact because of price and mileage (during a period of high gas prices). I'm 6'4" with long legs. I could fit and drive the Toyota and Datsun (now Nissan) offerings. I then went to a Chevrolet dealership, where the dealer showed me a Chevette which I couldn't even fit into. When the dealer realized he didn't have a car I was interested in, the dealer attempted to convince me that I wasn't really interested in a sub-compact and wouldn't be happy with a sub-compact if I bought one. Ended up buying a Datsun B210 which I drove into the ground because it fit my needs at the time. Every car I have bought since has been a Toyota or Nissan. I have never found the need to recheck the Chevrolet offerings.

Seems to me that the Republicans are like that Chevrolet dealer, trying to convince me either I'm not really concerned about my priorities or that my priorities are wrong. I may not also be happy with my treatment at Toyota or Nissan, but at least they are offering the products I'm interested in.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I wish I could tell you, but I haven't been shown how switching parties is going to do it, as you have suggested. Explain how voting Republican will then change their "mindset".
That's actually a consequence rather than a cause. Republican voters are mostly self-supporting individuals, just look at the welfare statistics I posted. When one grasps and embraces the concept of personal responsibility, one is more likely to vote Republican. That's just the way it is.

Old 03-20-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post

Seems to me that the Republicans are like that Chevrolet dealer, trying to convince me either I'm not really concerned about my priorities or that my priorities are wrong. I may not also be happy with my treatment at Toyota or Nissan, but at least they are offering the products I'm interested in.
And not making watermelon jokes behind your back!

Old 03-20-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's actually a consequence rather than a cause. Republican voters are mostly self-supporting individuals, just look at the welfare statistics I posted. When one grasps and embraces the concept of personal responsibility, one is more likely to vote Republican. That's just the way it is.
Yeah, the south is full of them! Self supporting individuals on welfare! Why is it that the blue states are supporting the red states in terms of tax dollars then? And not just black people.

Nonetheless, you just made my point for me. First you have to accept personal responsibility, address your shortcomings, Then and only then, does the change occur. Not because you simply vote Republican and viola' you are working on Wall Street.

I think we are going to have to agree to disagree here. This is getting "circular".

Old 03-20-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, the south is full of them! Self supporting individuals on welfare! Why is it that the blue states are supporting the red states in terms of tax dollars then?
Federal facilities. Not welfare.
Quote:
"In all but a handful of states, Department of Defense dollars account for by far the majority of federal dollars. States in which the Department of Energy provides the greatest amount are those which are host to major military research laboratories like Oak Ridge in Tennessee and Los Alamos and Sandia Labs in New Mexico or the atomic testing ranges of Nevada."
NOW with David Brancaccio. Politics & Economy. Inside the Pentagon - Defense Spending Map | PBS

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
He's right. Black voters should have options. Just as soon as the Republican party quits pandering to racists and makes a serious effort to appeal to black voters, they will.
Republicans say work and self reliance ,
democrats say welfare and victimhood.

Blacks vote 92% Democrat so that means blacks like what democrats have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies