Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2008, 08:53 PM

13,562 posts, read 21,311,109 times

Advertisements

Swiss citizens enjoy shooting their assault rifles"The competition is called the "Feldschiessen", or "field shoot", and 200,000 people attend every year. Citizens bring their fully automatic assault rifles up from the basement to shoot in the sunshine, have a glass of beer, play cards, talk, and play with their kids. The Swiss firearm homicide rate is one of the lowest in the world."

"The rifle used is the Stgw. 90 (military designation of the SIG 550), which is a fully automatic assault rifle in 5.56x45 NATO. >There are roughly 700,000 of these rifles in bedroom closets and basements all over Switzerland.<

Also seen is the K31 bolt-action rifle in 7.5x55 Swiss, The SIG 510 fully automatic heavy assault rifle in 7.5x55 Swiss, and the SIG P210 pistol in 9mm.

Roughly 200,000 people come to this shooting festival every year. People play cards, drink beer, enjoy the outdoors, bring their kids to play in the fields, and shoot >machine guns.<

>The Swiss firearms homicide rate is 12 times lower than the United States, and is one of the lowest in the world."<

""After discharge from service, the man is given a bolt rifle free from registration or obligation. Starting in the 1994, the government will give ex-reservists assault rifles. Officers carry pistols rather than rifles and are given their pistols the end of their service.

When the government adopts a new infantry rifle, it sells the old ones to the public."

Eidgenössisches Schützenfest Frauenfeld 2005
esf05 - PR-Schiessen «Vor Schuss.»
esf05 - Schiessbetrieb Gewehr

Last edited by lionking; 01-13-2008 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 09:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,740,120 times
Problem is, people are happy in Swiss with their government who probably has no intention of removing their freedom. The U.S. on the otherhand are trying to remove our freedoms and arming the population with guns is kind of hard for them to try to take away our freedoms.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Problem is, people are happy in Swiss with their government who probably has no intention of removing their freedom. The U.S. on the otherhand are trying to remove our freedoms and arming the population with guns is kind of hard for them to try to take away our freedoms.
which is why the 2nd amendment is in place.But here you have a movement that teaches kids and people that guns are bad,stay way from them.We also have people with less morals and less regard for life but gun laws don't fix that.......

The Swiss also have a strict immigration law,and stay way from invlving themselves in foreign affairs that is none of their business.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:50 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,135,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
When did they first begin to take away freedoms? I agree there are some who would strip us of many freedoms like the right to bare arms. The same ones who insist on giving more freedoms to convicted felons.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:17 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,571,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
When did they first begin to take away freedoms?.
In 2006, with the enactment of the Military Commissions Act of 2006. In short, it enables the president, at his whim, unchallenged, to designate any US CITIZEN as an enemy combatant, and thus be detained forever without ever having any constitutional due process. Whether that US citizen gets rendered to a third country is classified.

If you put enough bogey-men under enough beds, childish gullible people will do anything.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:47 AM

The point I'm trying to make is the Swiss give automatic weapons to just about every household,yet gun crime is virtually non existant.They also come together and socialize,involve their children in shooting and teach them.

So while America has gangs and crime,and politicians blame guns on the violence,here is a country who arms all citizens yet has hardly any gun crime or accidents.So countries with crime are because of social problems,not gun problems and the only way to fix that is economic and moral change.

The Swiss are very nationalistic,they have strict immigration laws on who can come there,and they don't involve themselves in playing police in the world which America does and that's what has brought alot of problems upon America in economic,social and terrorist situations.

The Swiss aren't afraid to be politically incorrect and won't allow Muslim extremists,floods of poor people from other nations to come over at a whim burdening their system.And they don't go around spreading freedom to people who don't want it.They don't want to be multi cultural...they want to be Swiss,and if they allow you to move there they expect you to become a Swiss also.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:47 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,658,324 times
Switzerland has universal conscription for males until about age 45. However, they have no standing army. Rather, you train with the same unit for a few weeks per year until you are discharged. So their armed forces are bit like our national guard, only the duration is longer. Switzerland, contrary to popular mythology, is probably the most militarized country in the world. The country is a fortress of bomb shelters, hidden missle sites, highways with tank traps and bridges and tunnels all wired for detonation.

Therefore, all Swiss males keep their military weapons in their homes in case of military action which would require units to mobilize on their own since they are not in barracks.

While there is the occassional incident, the Swiss generally follow regulations which require that the gun be dissambled, locked up and the ammo locked seperately from the gun itslef. The Swiss also have a very disciplined and obedient culture and are thus a helluva lot more responsible with their weaponry.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:56 AM

22,827 posts, read 28,052,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Switzerland has universal conscription for males until about age 45. However, they have no standing army. Rather, you train with the same unit for a few weeks per year until you are discharged. So their armed forces are bit like our national guard, only the duration is longer. Switzerland, contrary to popular mythology, is probably the most militarized country in the world. The country is a fortress of bomb shelters, hidden missle sites, highways with tank traps and bridges and tunnels all wired for detonation.

Therefore, all Swiss males keep their military weapons in their homes in case of military action which would require units to mobilize on their own since they are not in barracks.
And if you read the writings of Thomas Jefferson, it's pretty evident that this is exactly what he envisioned for the United States and the Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Old 01-14-2008, 09:01 AM

13,608 posts, read 20,658,324 times
Well, I think with Switzerland it has more to do with armed neutrality. Having an army on paper but mostly demobilized fits into that paradigm. I used our national guard only as an example to illustrate how you can have conscription without an army in barracks.

Would any Swiss like to chime in?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM

Well to be fair balanced is why I said in some ways.Wikipedia being wikipedia,here is general info on the Swiss,which actually reading this I didn't realize there were several recognized languages.

Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While the Swiss have been neutral in recent wars,there is some controversy to certain policy they practiced to both sides.

And I do certainly think there are some similar roles in society by both America and the Swiss in citizen's responsibilty that America should relearn, yet America and Switzerland are different in some ways in geo and economic situations that makes certain realities different.And I still think America is superior in certain ways also,yet I have admiration for the Swiss on a level also.

I do believe in letting the tired,sick and poor in America,but in regulated ways that will allow these people to enhance themselves and not overburden people already here,become American, and not a open door policy that allows unlimited immigrants unlimited access to public systems but doesn't expect them to become a citizen.

And America needs to walk more softly while maintaining a effective big stick,we need to have a policy of less interfering in world matters,and trade for what we need,while promoting peace through peaceful means which in turn I believe will make us have less threats from other parts of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies