Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2015, 11:37 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah, but this is about the right of every homosexual to place his or her personal need for acceptance over and above the needs of a vulnerable developing child.

How can we expect same-sex couples to feel normal if society doesn`t facilitate their need to play house with real babies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
So the father that deserted her is a homosexual trying to play house?

her bio father deserted her. She should be blaming him, not the parents she said did a "great job" of raising her.

From the article...

"Heather Barwick’s mum left her father when her daughter was two or three and moved in with a woman she was in love with."

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

Old 03-22-2015, 11:40 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,069,928 times
Frankly, heterosexual are different. The 'hole' I referred to is not a biological hole, but one in the soul. You knew that and just underscored a point, with your response, I made in an earlier post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What about heterosexual parents that use surrogates?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:57 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post
The entire premise here is that these SSC should not be parenting because there are challenges and it may not turn out optimally. Am I wrong?

How is the argument that this is universal to all family units a straw man?

Why are people suggesting that these SSCs be held to a different standard then everyone else?

Can someone address this without a long diatribe of deflection?

Men and women are not the same and they bring different abilities, perspectives and sensitivities to parenting.

To deliberately deprive a child of what they would experience by having a traditional set of parents, and this for the sole purpose of accommodating sexual quirks, is child neglect and indicates an adult far too self-involved to actually love a child.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:18 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99
I agree with her. Parents are best with both a Father and Mother.
I suppose so Other but there is nothing wrong with gay/les either

Old 03-22-2015, 01:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
“Growing up, and even into my 20s, I supported and advocated for gay marriage. It’s only with some time and distance from my childhood that I’m able to reflect on my experiences and recognise the long-term consequences that same-sex parenting had on me,” she said. “It’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I can see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.”

The most important thing for a child, or any human being actually, is a stable environment. I bet if given the option to have a mom and a dad, one of whom abuses you and your other parent and having two dads who are decent parents, ever single rational person would take two dads. I know I would.

Obviously, in an ideal world, everyone would have one mom and one dad. But the world is less than ideal, and we have to do our best to accommodate for that.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:44 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,709,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Article starts out saying her father wasn't a great guy and didn't come around after her parents split. I suspect this isn't so much about gay marriage but rather her feeling abandoned by her biological father. Sad.

Why can't we take her at her word instead of spinning it in another direction? She says that gay parents aren't good for kids! All of us outsiders can rant and rave, but this is coming from someone who lived it. If I wanted an expert opinion of living in cold climates then I would want to talk to someone from Alaska, canada, etc. Those of us from Florida or Hawaii would not have as much street cred!

Old 03-22-2015, 02:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,962,232 times
Somebody's got some serious daddy abandonment issues that are being projected onto the mother that did stick around and by her own account did a good job of raising her.

Perhaps advocating against deadbeat dads would be a better use of her time? But she's have to get over the idealized image of her own father before doing that.

Old 03-22-2015, 02:17 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,635,783 times
well, We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the game.

This lesbian couple's daughter should be grateful that somebody took her in, it is cold out there.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:33 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,498,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Men and women are not the same and they bring different abilities, perspectives and sensitivities to parenting.

To deliberately deprive a child of what they would experience by having a traditional set of parents, and this for the sole purpose of accommodating sexual quirks, is child neglect and indicates an adult far too self-involved to actually love a child.
It is people like you that label others sexual quirks that are the problems. Is it not depriving a child of a traditional set of parents when parents divorce? Are not single parents too depriving children of a traditional set of parents. There are 400,000 children annually in adoption or foster care that are deprived of any family by their own biological parents, maybe a ban on giving up ones child should be considered, rather then a ban homosexuals from being parents. Gays and lesbians are not playing house when they raise a child, no more then a heterosexual parent or parents that adopt or choose other means of having a child. One may as well invalidate all parenthood other then those that are biological, by your standards. But fortunately the country does not follow bigotted standards in qualifying parenthood.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,062,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
“Growing up, and even into my 20s, I supported and advocated for gay marriage. It’s only with some time and distance from my childhood that I’m able to reflect on my experiences and recognise the long-term consequences that same-sex parenting had on me,” she said. “It’s only now, as I watch my children loving and being loved by their father each day, that I can see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.”

1) I can also see the beauty and wisdom in traditional marriage and parenting.
2) That doesn't mean that there are not good loving families of single parents or two moms or dads.
3) There are traditional families that are not good for the children.
4) There are non traditional families that are not good for the children.
5) Maybe I am old fashioned but I do believe if everything else is equal a traditional family is best for a child. But nothing is ever really equal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies