Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:04 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Not around here, but I know that sounds good.
Maybe not where you live. However, over all, it has been dropping, at least according the FBI stats. Where it has been dropping, well that is a local issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 08:18 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe not where you live. However, over all, it has been dropping, at least according the FBI stats. Where it has been dropping, well that is a local issue.
I wonder where it isn't dropping at.............

Old 03-21-2015, 08:20 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Yes, murder rates in the US have been dropping from historical highs in the 1970s to the 1980s and now are almost at the level of 1950's murder rates.

That doesn't mean that it's not an issue that shouldn't be addressed. US murder rates are still far higher than many other developed countries. We should strive to make murder as rare as possible.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Yes, murder rates in the US have been dropping from historical highs in the 1970s to the 1980s and now are almost at the level of 1950's murder rates.

That doesn't mean that it's not an issue that shouldn't be addressed. US murder rates are still far higher than many other developed countries. We should strive to make murder as rare as possible.
Well, if the murder rates have been dropping and are getting closer to 1950s levels, why is there more alarmist news about crime? I never said it wasn't an issue. I'm saying it often gets ignored that murder rates have been dropping.

And there is something else. If murder rates are dropping, then what has caused this?

Old 03-21-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The murder rates have dropped in many major cities.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:54 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,011,224 times
Quote:
The murder rates have dropped in many major cities.
St. Louis City had 159 murders last year with a population of 318k. We have rolling gun battles down our highways. Maybe it's just St. Louis.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
St. Louis City had 159 murders last year with a population of 318k. We have rolling gun battles down our highways. Maybe it's just St. Louis.
St. Louis(and New Orleans) is another ballgame altogether. I live in the Atlanta area. The murder rate in Georgia has been dropping, as has Atlanta's murder rate. I remember when Atlanta was recording as much as 200 murders a year, back in the 90s. Atlanta has improved tremendously since then.

For as much crap I gave Atlanta back in the mid 2000s, things have improved in many ways. The murder rate is around 18 murders per 100,000. On par with Chicago and lower than Kansas City. This is taking into account that Kansas City has fewer Blacks than Atlanta, and a total population similar to Atlanta.

It leaves this to wonder. St. Louis and Kansas City have a lower percentage of Blacks(and a lower raw number of Blacks). Somehow, Kansas City has a higher murder rate than Atlanta. St. Louis has a murder rate twice as high as Atlanta. The state has an over all murder rate higher than Georgia or Virginia.

I have to wonder this. What is up with Missouri, and in particular St. Louis and Kansas City where things aren't getting better, but GA and VA have been getting better?

Old 03-21-2015, 09:04 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post

Places like Ferguson, where you can loot Stores that belong to your neighbors while the Police watch you do it.

Good Law Abiding Town Folk.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:09 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Well, if the murder rates have been dropping and are getting closer to 1950s levels, why is there more alarmist news about crime? I never said it wasn't an issue. I'm saying it often gets ignored that murder rates have been dropping.

And there is something else. If murder rates are dropping, then what has caused this?
There's a lot of different ideas as to why murder rates have dropped. They range from the removal of lead from gasoline to nationwide legalization of abortion to the increase in incarceration. It's likely a combination of factors. One of the often overlooked reasons is that America's median age has gone up since people live longer. Older people commit less crime and their increase in numbers lowers the murder rate.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:

Media Hype. Todays News is not real News. Its "Sensationalism." They are after ratings today, and could not care less about good things that happen. Good things don't attract viewers. Wars, Murders, and Mayhem does. The public has changed also, which helps fuel this type of News Gathering. We have developed a big appetite for violence, and love to view it on TV. If anyone has doubts, look how long they beat a "Violent" event to death. Its on the News for days, or until there is no interest anymore. Look how long they fueled the Ferguson event. They camped out there, like Vultures on a tree limb waiting for something to die.

Its a sign of the times folks, and times are changing. Not always for the best either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies