Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:44 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I think it would be interesting though to let him "compete" - even if it is not for medals, to see his capabilities.
While I admire (and agree) on your stance of letting him complete alongside "normal" people, it'd be very costly - flight to beijing, hotel room, space/time on the track, etc.

Truth of the matter is, tests have been run on the type of prosthetic he has. The J-shaped prosthetic has been proven to be more efficient than what your or I have.

Quote:
This man has certainly had to train - and train hard.
Every athlete that has entered the Olympics has trained hard. We're not putting him down for a lack of training.

Maybe his home country could hold an event where people with prosthetics and those without (from around the globe) can come together to compete. Now, that would be interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,147,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
While I admire (and agree) on your stance of letting him complete alongside "normal" people, it'd be very costly - flight to beijing, hotel room, space/time on the track, etc.
Hey, we already have our tickets. If money is his issue, I'll pay for him!

Quote:
Truth of the matter is, tests have been run on the type of prosthetic he has. The J-shaped prosthetic has been proven to be more efficient than what your or I have.
I don't doubt that one minute. But, and this is my opinion, its time to allow those with physical disabilities, to be able to compete in the mainstream world.

Quote:
Maybe his home country could hold an event where people with prosthetics and those without (from around the globe) can come together to compete. Now, that would be interesting.
There are already, the ParaOlympics - but, again, its time for EVERYONE to compete, together. Those with disabilities should not be [SIZE=3]ostracized.[/SIZE]

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
There are already, the ParaOlympics - but, again, its time for EVERYONE to compete, together. Those with disabilities should not be [SIZE=3]ostracized.[/SIZE]
That's what I was saying - those without prosthetics and those who are "normal" could compete together.

Quote:
Hey, we already have our tickets.
Lucky....

Old 01-14-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
That's what I was saying - those without prosthetics and those who are "normal" could compete together.
Don't misunderstand - I see your point - and actually agree with you.

What I do object to is an event, such as the Olympics, keeps out a group of people who are athletes.

Perhaps what the Olympic Committee should consider (maybe they have???) is having events, at the Olympics, same events, for Para Olympians?

Mainstream these outstanding people -

Old 01-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Perhaps what the Olympic Committee should consider (maybe they have???) is having events, at the Olympics, same events, for Para Olympians?
I would agree with it, as long as the ParaOlympian technology (prosthetics and such) would make them equivalent (in terms of energy input and output) as a "normal" human body.

Or, if you want super-advanced technology competing with "normal humans" - no medals. A competition without medals.

As technology improves, combining the competition might be like having the Terminator and Average Joe race each other.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I would agree with it, as long as the ParaOlympian technology (prosthetics and such) would make them equivalent (in terms of energy input and output) as a "normal" human body.
Off topic - a little

I snow ski - sort of. I can get down a hill without killing myself

A few years ago, my wife and I were in Colorado sking - I was doing my usual snow crabbing when all of a sudden two skiers came flying by us! Not out of control at all - doing great. We met these two at the coffee hut - father and daughter it turned out. Dad was totally blind. His daughter had some sort of radio transmitter she carried and Dad could hear the signal - he followed it (I do not have a clue how it worked ). But, the point is, Dad was having a ball. He did not let his disability slow him down!

By sheer coinsidence, the very next day, again, I'm sking right along and a guy passes me - he had no legs! So help me - no legs. His poles were also his skis!

I rarely complain anymore about aches and pains -

Old 01-14-2008, 02:45 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
Nobody complained when George Toporcer showed up with Cardinals in 1921 wearing eye-glasses so he could see the pitch better, and promptly batted .324. What's the difference?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Nobody complained when George Toporcer showed up with Cardinals in 1921 wearing eye-glasses so he could see the pitch better, and promptly batted .324. What's the difference?
Help me here: Who was the Major League pitcher(???), in the last few years, who had only one arm????

Old 01-14-2008, 02:53 PM

130 posts, read 146,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Having better vision put him at an even playing field with everybody else I assume. Plus, his glasses have no direct involvement with the actual mechanics involved in baseball. If he had some sort of prosthetics arm device than that would be another story.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:54 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,328,851 times
Quote:
Help me here: Who was the Major League pitcher(???), in the last few years, who had only one arm????
Jim Abbott. Well, he had two arms, but his right arm was very small and had no hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies