Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,172,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Jim Abbott. Well, he had two arms, but his right arm was very small and had no hand.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Now, as I recall, wasn't there some sort of controversy as to if he should, or could, play because of his disability?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 01:56 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,341,033 times
Is there the possibility of a middle ground on this issue? Could he be fitted for a prosthetic that gives him less of an advantage?

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,341,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
THANK YOU!!!!!

Now, as I recall, wasn't there some sort of controversy as to if he should, or could, play because of his disability?
Not as much as you'd think, actually. He went straight from college to the majors and was a Cy Young finalist.

Steinbrenner gave him crap about all of his charity work when he was with the Yankees. That made the news. Steinbrenner called it a distraction.

Edited to add: One other note. There was actually another one-handed pitcher in the Majors back in the 1880s. Hugh Daily. They called him "One Arm" Daily. He tied a record for strikeouts in a game (19, I think) that no one broke until Clemens got 20 in the 1980s.

I'm sure there were other amputee players, but those two are notable. Neither played with prosthetics, though.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,264,523 times
Quote:
Is there the possibility of a middle ground on this issue? Could he be fitted for a prosthetic that gives him less of an advantage?
Or could we find someone with jet-powered legs to give him a run for his money?

Or maybe three legs?

What the heck. Let's go arachnid and get some eight-legged dudes in there. They'd be a blur from the waist down.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Not as much as you'd think, actually. He went straight from college to the majors and was a Cy Young finalist.

Steinbrenner gave him crap about all of his charity work when he was with the Yankees. That made the news. Steinbrenner called it a distraction.

Edited to add: One other note. There was actually another one-handed pitcher in the Majors back in the 1880s. Hugh Daily. They called him "One Arm" Daily. He tied a record for strikeouts in a game (19, I think) that no one broke until Clemens got 20 in the 1980s.

I'm sure there were other amputee players, but those two are notable. Neither played with prosthetics, though.
Thanks for your great posts!

Old 01-14-2008, 05:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,287 times
I think it's hilarious that we're even considering letting him compete.

The world has truly gone mad.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
I think it's hilarious that we're even considering letting him compete.
Why?

Why is it so hilarious?

Old 01-14-2008, 05:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,780,739 times
He can run as long as he doesn't use anything other than his own body to compete. Will he sign on? If I put my brain into a robot, should I be able to compete? Probably not...

Old 01-14-2008, 05:38 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why?

Why is it so hilarious?
It's madness...a man has artificial limbs that allow him to perform at a higher level than Olympic level athletes...in what way does this make sense?

Hey, I know a guy that's missing a hand...maybe he could screw on an iron fist and compete in Olympic boxing? Would that be ok? Maybe we should allow men who had sex changes to compete in the women's events? Hey, why limit the events to humans...I bet a horse would clean up in just about every running event. Maybe we could get a dolphin to enter some swimming events, too.

The whole idea is 100% absurd...the fact that you can't see it just goes to show how far gone our civilization really is. I have to laugh...or I'd cry

Old 01-14-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
It's madness...a man has artificial limbs that allow him to perform at a higher level than Olympic level athletes...in what way does this make sense?

Hey, I know a guy that's missing a hand...maybe he could screw on an iron fist and compete in Olympic boxing? Would that be ok? Maybe we should allow men who had sex changes to compete in the women's events? Hey, why limit the events to humans...I bet a horse would clean up in just about every running event. Maybe we could get a dolphin to enter some swimming events, too.

The whole idea is 100% absurd...the fact that you can't see it just goes to show how far gone our civilization really is. I have to laugh...or I'd cry

Frankly, IMO, the fact that one has a disability yet has found a way to not let that adversity stop him from achieveing their dreams and goals, is what is, IMO, important here -

Please, remember, it wasn't all that many years ago that if one had a physical impairment, they were shunned by society. They were hidden from view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies