Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
What the hell is in the water in Texas. Everyone I've ever met from Texas has been reasonable and intelligent. Yet they keep electing the dumbest most right wing politicians. You think it can't get worse than George W. Bush then they elect Rick Perry who makes Bush seem like a genius. You think that's the bottom of the barrel but it's not. They now elected Abbott who makes Perry look like Albert Einstein. Where are the Ann Richards, Lloyd Bentsons, and Bob Bullocks of today? This is what happens when you have 30 percent voter turnout. Moderates in Texas need to rise up and take back their state from the crazies.
The Dems in Texas gave us Wendy Davis.
And before that gave us Bill White.
And then we had the Tea Party girl..Debra Medina.

Nobody worth voting for. Not even the Dems showed up to vote.

And Texas has a long history of Dem Governors too so it's not like Texas has been Repub forever.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:52 AM

1,438 posts, read 779,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

And Texas has a long history of Dem Governors too so it's not like Texas has been Repub forever.
I'll give you that Wendy Davis wasn't a good candidate but Bill White was a very good mayor of Houston. Rick Perry refused to debate him.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 AM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:

Debra was rising fast in the polls, even through a light plane flown into an Austin IRS office--one also hosting a drill that day (they always seem to drill coincident to adverse events)--until she stupidly appeared on GB.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:54 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Why do you follow and listen to such blather ?

LOL.."feel free to post Abbott's letter" ?

It's right in the OP's link. Did you even bother to read it ? And YOU are the OP

The Texas State Guard is NOT the National Guard.
Texas State Guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

People need to spend a little time after reading opinion articles to do a little research to find out the facts.

My mistake his letter was at the bottom but that sure looks like cover for Abbotts decision, go read about the details of the public hearing and article in the Austin American Statesman, the Lt Col in charge of the operation was told he couldn't be trusted.

There have been hundreds of military drills over the years this is the first time I heard of National Guard oversight and the city of Miami is a poor example for comparison especially since the public has been informed. All those questions relative to gun confiscation and martial law came up at the hearing, even questions about importing fighters from Islamic States.

So what is exactly the National Guards role

Meeting does little to sway critics of Army training in... | www.mystatesman.com

Old 04-30-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
I'll give you that Wendy Davis wasn't a good candidate but Bill White was a very good mayor of Houston. Rick Perry refused to debate him.
I agree. He was a hopeful. But he went out of his way to distance himself from the national Dems.
He ditched a meeting with Obama. Even Perry showed up to welcome Obama to Texas even though Obama walked right past him

White chickened out about his party affiliation rather than stand up and defend it.
The Dems in Texas are not the same as the national Dems or Dems in other states.

You want a Governor who will take the flack and defend himself. White didn't do that.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
My mistake his letter was at the bottom but that sure looks like cover for Abbotts decision, go read about the details of the public hearing and article in the Austin American Statesman, the Lt Col in charge of the operation was told he couldn't be trusted.

There have been hundreds of military drills over the years this is the first time I heard of National Guard oversight and the city of Miami is a poor example for comparison especially since the public has been informed. All those questions relative to gun confiscation and martial law came up at the hearing, even questions about importing fighters from Islamic States.

So what is exactly the National Guards role

Meeting does little to sway critics of Army training in... | www.mystatesman.com
The National Guard is not involved at all.
Go back and read again just which group is monitoring.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Debra was rising fast in the polls, even through a light plane flown into an Austin IRS office--one also hosting a drill that day (they always seem to drill coincident to adverse events)--until she stupidly appeared on GB.
Yeah..that did her in. And she tried running in 2014 for Comptroller..lost big time.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:40 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
I don't blame the govenor! And of course right on cue the detractors come out with their "tin foil" jabs, and insults! Nope nothing to see here!

The way I see it.... nothing suprises me as to what the federal government will do!

Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
And the bit about Abbott being paranoid and afraid of a federal takeover of Texas is someone's OPINION.

The monitoring is to make sure the military doesn't overstep their bounds.
The Governor of Texas should not have to activate the Texas State Guard to "monitor" a Federal Government Military exercise ...... according to the Official Jade Helm 15 announcement, the Exercise is supposed to be coordinated with Local, County & State officials. Bastrop County DID approve the Exercises and they held a Public Information meeting about it - that seems perfectly reasonable in view of the "Public Affairs Review" and "Coordination with local, state and federal law enforcement". Many news articles are claiming that Governor Abbott called up the Texas National Guard, which is not true. The National Guard now reports to the President under a Law passed in 2007, sponsored by John Warner - Governors still have autonomy under a State Emergency criteria and their own State Laws.

The Commander of United States Army Special Operation Command (USASOC) seeks a written invitation and approval from local officials to conduct Realistic Military Training (RMT) within their jurisdictions for joint military exercise, JADE HELM 15 (JH15)

Realistic Military Training (RMT) is training conducted outside of federally owned property. The RMT process is designed to ensure proper coordination between DOD representatives and local and regional authorities. The process includes the following measures:
– Risk Assessment, Medical, and Communications Plans
– MOU, MOA, and Licensing agreements (training areas, staging areas, role players)
– Legal Review
– ID of training, staging areas, role players, airfield, drop zones (DZ) and Landing Zones (LZ) surveys
– Letters of Invitations obtained from local officials (Mayor, County Commission)
– Coordination with local, state and federal law enforcement
– Public Affairs Review

This is not supposed to be some sort of "super secret" Operation. Why is it National News (and Outrage) that the Governor apparently is NOT informed and decides to Monitor the Operation so he can inform the public when questions arise? The letter from Governor Abbott has already been posted - Read it. Nothing at all unreasonable about it. I know there are a lot of Tin Foil/Conspiracy Theories about Jade Helm 15 -- a lot of that is a result of the VERY BIZARRE simultaneous closers of 5 Super Walmarts in Jade Helm areas for a "6 month plumbing repair". Nobody believes that, but they also don't know what's really going on.

Some might recall that most of Bastrop Co. burnt to the ground due to wildfires and the great drought a few years ago. They got precious little aid, or money, from FEMA, the federal government or the Obama administration. The fire began on September 4, 2011 and burned until October 10, 2011 - the largest and most destructive Fire in Texas history. 1700 homes burned, 2 people killed, 34,000 acres burned and a cost of $325 Million. FEMA finally paid Texas $38 Million in October of 2013. It's fair to say that Texas is NOT a "favored" State to TeamObama - There is always a big Target on the Texas back. The Texas Attorney General spends most of his time either Suing the Federal Government OR Defending a Lawsuit brought by the Federal Government.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:40 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
All of Texas, all of LDS dominated Utah, and the notoriously conservative, right-wing bottom tip of CA are labeled as "Hostile" on the exercise map.

It's not--but none of the objective media, including Infowars, reported it as anything other than one of a variety of parallels that had been noted by various observers of the upcoming massive 9-week, late summer drill.

Joe Biggs of Infowars did, however, report that he'd personally been phoned by a former colleague still in the service and told to stop messing with their, in the latter's words, "psy op."
This looks to me like an, Inquiring minds wanna know, type of article.
Texans blame secret military takeover for Walmart closings, secret tunnels - Houston Chronicle

I don't work for Walmart, but my work as a vendor employee I visit several local stores in this area. The store greeters know me. One told me about Walmart store closings, several in Texas and some in other states. I told them that it was probably due to the raises that were given to their employees.

Several days later wondering if I was right, and what stores closed and in what area, I looked it up for news on the Walmart(s) situation. And read the Houston Chronicle article and I thought omg. Since like your saying none of the regular media and the not so regular (infowars) media is discussing this, it's like what's up with this military exercise drill, really?

Other than the Event page posted on FB, how can citizens prepare for such an 'actual' event? Where is the public awareness, preparedness ads, so as to inform people? There isn't any. Even the articles reporting the Walmart closings are written in such a way to cause people to put 'tin foil' hats on.

Some states are legalizing marijuana, do they want to know how paranoid people can get? I guess on July 15th, we'll find out.

UN Prepared to Govern Us Under Martial Law

btw: if I hadn't looked for articles in the walmart stores closing, I never would have known about Jade Helm 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies