Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 12:12 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times

Advertisements

Simple remedy - PRIVATIZE everything - downsize the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 12:15 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

What's wrong with the DMV? Yes, it sucks that you have to go there physically... but you're out in 10-15 minutes.

In terms of their workers, I've never had issues with either. The mailmen are a bit lazy in the snow.

If you have issues with DMV workers, that's really more representative of your state than anything else.
Nah, I've been to the DMV in two widely different areas of my state. The city with the smaller population is in and out in under 15 minutes but the one in the bigger city is hours of waiting, especially given that on certain days they bus people in from some of the nearby smaller cities.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:20 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Simple remedy - PRIVATIZE everything - downsize the government.
If done right this would work wonders. You really want to increase performance, farm the work out to contractors and pay them a quality-adjusted rate (on wait times, error rates, customer reviews, and so forth). Cherry on top is you could likely make significant cost savings simultaneously with improving service.

Old 03-21-2015, 12:28 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,432,323 times
I had trouble with a branch post office in San Francisco.

I went down there and yelled at them about not getting my mail.

Then, because I had publicly humiliated them and treated them as servants (as they more than deserved), they deliberately withheld all my mail for two weeks.

So I called up the local U.S. attorney and asked him what the penalty was for deliberately tampering with or withholding the mail. It was quite severe, and postal workers are not exempt.

He suggested I call the post office branch manager and tell him that I had talked with the U.S. attorney.

Bingo! All my mail appeared the next day in my mailbox and I didn't have any more problems.

Old 03-21-2015, 02:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
I had trouble with a branch post office in San Francisco.

I went down there and yelled at them about not getting my mail.

Then, because I had publicly humiliated them and treated them as servants (as they more than deserved), they deliberately withheld all my mail for two weeks.

So I called up the local U.S. attorney and asked him what the penalty was for deliberately tampering with or withholding the mail. It was quite severe, and postal workers are not exempt.

He suggested I call the post office branch manager and tell him that I had talked with the U.S. attorney.

Bingo! All my mail appeared the next day in my mailbox and I didn't have any more problems.
That's funny, I can't ever get anyone to answer the phone at my post office. I tried calling the toll free number.... press 2 for.. press 1 for ... press 1 for.. press 3 for.. oh you got to the wrong department.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:05 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
I see little difference between the quality of service between these very large national and state service agencies and many very large national and regional customer-facing service providers - airlines, ISPs, even some banks - when dealing with all but their elite customers. The American consumer, through their maniacal bargain-hunting purchasing behaviors, has fostered a rush to the bottom in customer service, in many sectors of the economy, choosing the lower priced supplier without regard to the impact less staffing has on service quality. That that's bled over into the public sector is not surprising given the parallel between maniacal bargain-hunting purchasing behaviors and the fervent push for tax relief.

Old 03-21-2015, 03:31 AM

148 posts, read 149,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
If done right this would work wonders. You really want to increase performance, farm the work out to contractors and pay them a quality-adjusted rate (on wait times, error rates, customer reviews, and so forth). Cherry on top is you could likely make significant cost savings simultaneously with improving service.
If done right, I agree, that'd be awesome. That being said, they've been making an effort on it for a while, even to the point where at DHS in 2010 there were more contractors than feds, and...well, it hasn't really gone great. It actually costs more money for the feds to hire contractors than civilians, and it leads to both problematic (and, in this case, technically legal) preferential treatment and a few seriously bad situations.

Also, if we're going to be completely honest, I'm not sure a private company would do better than current federal employees. I've dealt with some private insurance and claims companies through work, and holy hell they make the VA look like Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network. Even if we have a perfect quality-adjusted contract for a company like that, I feel like the savings would be minimal (if they existed at all, like that previous NYT article explained) and we might see some number-fudging or claim-dropping scandal come up. I'm not very confident in the federal government's work ethic either, but I've worked in the private sector, and it doesn't have the amazing aura of competency that a lot of people think it has.

Again, theoretically it's a kickass idea, especially if it lowers costs. But you've gotta close loopholes, remove all preferential treatment (INCLUDING veterans preference, which...good luck), vet all contracts, have a set in stone and widespread quality-adjusted rate, and most importantly regulate the private companies so you're absolutely sure that they aren't fudging numbers to meet their quotas. And THEN you have to make sure it's cost-beneficial to the American public. And make sure nobody takes bribes or anything under the table.

Point is, it probably will never be done right. Like the idea, though.

Also,
Quote:
I went down there and yelled at them about not getting my mail. Then, because I had publicly humiliated them and treated them as servants (as they more than deserved), they deliberately withheld all my mail for two weeks.
Two things: 1. God, that sounds pretentious as hell. "I SCREAMED AT THEM AND HUMILIATED THEM LIKE THE GODDAMNED COMMONERS THEY ARE. NOW FETCH MY MINK, SERVANT." And 2. this also sounds incredibly fake. I know both federal workers and private sector workers. If you yell at either one, they will do what you want them to do just so that the weird screaming person will get out of their face. They're not going to try to sabotage you, because their main goal is to never want to see or hear from you ever again.The worst that they do is talk s**t about you at the bar later.

Last edited by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot; 03-21-2015 at 03:45 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 06:36 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
For example, I asked SSI the simplest question through their email address, and got a ridiculous answer by someone who OBVIOUSLY did not READ my question. The welfare office always loses my paperwork and denies I ever sent it. The mailmen CONSTANTLY send me mail that either was meant to go to my neighbors, was meant to go to a house in my town with the same house number but on a different street, or that was meant to go to a house at an address VERY different from mine. And as for the DMV, they put the WRONG month in the date section of my newest driver's license! What the ****?
I've never dealt with the welfare office, but I've never had issues with the other places.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:41 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
In NC you go to a privitized DMV and it is worse then the lines in NJ,NY,Tenn. All of which I have had to go to.

The USPS has cut hours and employees in the smaller offices as the GOP congress has forced them to create a 75Billion dollar retirement fund in 10 years.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:42 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
For example, I asked SSI the simplest question through their email address, and got a ridiculous answer by someone who OBVIOUSLY did not READ my question. The welfare office always loses my paperwork and denies I ever sent it. The mailmen CONSTANTLY send me mail that either was meant to go to my neighbors, was meant to go to a house in my town with the same house number but on a different street, or that was meant to go to a house at an address VERY different from mine. And as for the DMV, they put the WRONG month in the date section of my newest driver's license! What the ****?
Personally I have NEVER witnessed any of those things so all I can say is you must have cloud over your head.

Some people are lucky, others are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies