Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 11:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,468,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep if the welfare system made more men pay for unwanted babies welfare would drop. Maybe the men would stick with one woman too.
Or, since the cultural imperative in modern society is "my body, my choice" perhaps women should step up and take some responsibility. They are the ones who get the choice of whether or not to have the baby and whether or not to give the baby up for adoption. Then society blames the man for the consequences if the woman chooses to bear and keep a child she cannot support. It takes two to tango, but once the dance is over, only one of them get to decide what happens afterwards.

So instead of perpetuating the argument over whether society or the guy should pay for the results of what the woman decides, how about we emphasize the woman make better decisions?

Last edited by kidkaos2; 03-23-2015 at 11:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 04:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,844,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
For example, I asked SSI the simplest question through their email address, and got a ridiculous answer by someone who OBVIOUSLY did not READ my question. The welfare office always loses my paperwork and denies I ever sent it. The mailmen CONSTANTLY send me mail that either was meant to go to my neighbors, was meant to go to a house in my town with the same house number but on a different street, or that was meant to go to a house at an address VERY different from mine. And as for the DMV, they put the WRONG month in the date section of my newest driver's license! What the ****?

Have you considered that all of those employees in all of those agencies are not the problem, but that you are?

Old 03-24-2015, 04:54 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,848,088 times
In my experience with DHS, FDA, USPS which involve frequent interaction due to business it depends on who you speak with. Sometimes extremely helpful to abysmal. Just like in private business.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM

1,140 posts, read 1,407,771 times
I think of all institutions in the nation that need to be privatized, the soonest that will possibly change is the PA Wine & Spirits chain. Unfortunately, the Democrats are waging a propaganda war to stop it from happening, but the Republicans (even though they have the support of the Commonwealth Foundation) seem asleep.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 567 times
The United States Postal Service is the biggest Employer of African Americans and other Ethnic groups.........which is the reason why it is constantly under fire. It is a victim of "White Supremacy". UPS and FedEx are 'not' and they are supported by Republicans who wish to destroy the United States Postal Service. The Postal Service, unlike the other Government agencies do not rely on tax dollars. The US Postal Service is ran off of its own revenue and profits. Postal Employees work extremely hard as millions of letters and products are delivered daily worldwide. Hence, its all about "White Superiority' and "White Privilege".......especially in the Red State of Louisiana.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
They are not; its just the scope of the work and government rules and massive laws. Its like the tax code; few really understand it fully. Then of course since you do not pay for service many demand the best where if they paid for it they might just look more theirselfs.Look a some of the questions asked about SS when it easily seen on line; who is the real dummy. Some are very good even compared to private sector.Do not work for government as disclaimer.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:44 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,268,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownewave View Post
For example, I asked SSI the simplest question through their email address, and got a ridiculous answer by someone who OBVIOUSLY did not READ my question. The welfare office always loses my paperwork and denies I ever sent it.

Good, complex questions here.

People with gigs in these kinds of government bureaus get pay raises based on their longevity, and who they know--not based upon how good a job they do. Any motivation they may have to do a great job or care about the people has to come from within. Even if the government decided to pay people based on performance, there isn't anyone in the hierarchy really qualified to make the assessment, so they are just as likely to give the performance bonuses to their friends and people with longevity.

Any other problem , the "losing paperwork" problem, is caused by a failure for government offices to really integrate technology and get a computer system up and maintained properly, get their staff actually trained. And since policies constantly change, they have to be nimble and ready to change the computer programs to keep up. Government computers are filled with a lot of crap, the workers often times really can't find the paperwork.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Because they are immune from market forces.
Oh really? So you always get great service in retail establishments? Fast food joints? Costco? Doctors offices? Hospitals? Restaurants? Especially at Christmastime?

Maybe government workers give bad service because they grow weary from serving long lines of crabby, argumentative, or confrontational people? Maybe private sector employees who are overworked show the same behaviors.

Want great service? Hire more people and pay them more. In the private sector that means lower profits. Are you prepared for that?

Old 05-05-2015, 05:10 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,972,533 times
Actually most postal workers seem fine to me, I think the others tend to be lousy because they attract stern and mean personalities. Same with bus drivers and the cops. It has nothing to do with the supposed superiority of privatization.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:13 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,795,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You're missing the point, Fedex and and UPS will go right to his house. There is no reason the USPS shouldn't provide the same level of service.
USPS regulations are outdated. I believe they are required to deliver to the mailbox and if the mailbox is someplace other than the property of the recipient, then that is where the package is left.

A number of years ago I lived in an unincorporated area hereabouts, and mailboxes were clustered on street corners in the area. In order to protect our deliveries from theft, we had to rent a PO box and have parcels delivered there.

PS Fed Ex and UPS will not deliver to a PO boxes in many places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies