Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 07:43 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,140,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I see the weak minded ones as being the ones left trying to explain to their wives that the reason they did not stand up to defend them when an ignorant MOD CUT is making repeated slurs about their race right in their face is because the ignorant MOD CUT has the right to his Freedom of Speech under the First Amendment.

Otherwise Honey, I woulda let that jerk have it, you betcha!!
It all sounds like a middle school mentality to me. I think, at some point during the process of our maturity, we realize that there are consequences for beating up strangers because they're making offensive comments. Some of these are (but are not limited to) getting fired from our jobs and serving jail time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
It all sounds like a middle school mentality to me. I think, at some point during the process of our maturity, we realize that there are consequences for beating up strangers because they're making offensive comments. Some of these are (but are not limited to) getting fired from our jobs and serving jail time.
And at some point most- during the process of our maturity- realize that saying offensive slurs in the face of someone of that race is first not a nice thing to do and is in fact a negative indicator of how they were raised, and it can also have negative consequences, including getting fired from your job.

I think it is easy for some to dismiss racial slurs as harmless if they or their loved ones have not experienced it directed towards them personally.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
And at some point most- during the process of our maturity- realize that saying offensive slurs in the face of someone of that race is first not a nice thing to do and is in fact a negative indicator of how they were raised, and it can also have negative consequences, including getting fired from your job.
Well, let them get fired for it. They're out of a job and you still have one, since you didn't react violently toward them, nor did you threaten them with violence (which, everywhere I've worked, has not been permissible, either).

Quote:
I think it is easy for some to dismiss racial slurs as harmless if they or their loved ones have not experienced it directed towards them personally.
I didn't say they were harmless. And believe me, I have been discriminated against, and I have seen loved ones be discriminated against, but that's not the point.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:

Roger that Bily. Bravo Zulu....
There tends to be a bit of difference between a statement like: Women shouldn't be hired to be mechanics because they dont no anything about turning a wrench. Fact is most women never had opprotunity to learn. They definetly have the capacity.
As compared to:
When there is only 1 asian woman in the building and statements are only made when she enters the room.
Example: Well we all know about that asian P&^%y its on the horizontal. Wasn't a 1 of them born not knowing how to use it to F*&k. Hey baby me love you long time for 5 dolla.....
Some may not feel bad about someone abusing their wife that way but for others that is way over the line.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:10 PM

Sorry about that last post. But some feel its no big deal when someone goes out of their way to be hurtful towards a loved one. I was raised to be loyal and protective of family. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I can live with it.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:23 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
So are only official courts able to decide when someone is just expressing an opinion or spreading hate & ignorance?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So are only official courts able to decide when someone is just expressing an opinion or spreading hate & ignorance?
Are we all speaking English here? I have to wonder. Has no one heard of "being the bigger person." There is something to be said for silently saying, I am walking away from you because you aren't worth my time or the dirt on the ground. I'm not wasting my time with you or lowering myself to your standards. I've had to tell myself that plenty of times when I knew that engaging in an argument with someone would've been detrimental for many reasons.

Where did someone say that only the courts were deciding who was spreading hate and ignorance?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:53 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges
Quote:
Are we all speaking English here? I have to wonder. Has no one heard of "being the bigger person."
If you don't want to answer my question then don't.
It wasn't directed at you personally anywayz.
FYI I don't care who the bigger person is.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
If you don't want to answer my question then don't.
It wasn't directed at you personally anywayz.
FYI I don't care who the bigger person is.
Well, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to you with the way I worded that. It's just that the responses on this thread don't even seem related to each other half the time, like they're randomly generated or something.

I guess my easy answer to your question would be 'no.' But I couldn't help but wonder how it was relevant. I didn't think any of it was a question of whether or not the person we were originally discussing (at the start of the thread) was a bigot or not. I thought we all agreed that he was spreading hate and ignorance. We disagreed on how a person should react to that in our society.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Well, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful to you with the way I worded that. It's just that the responses on this thread don't even seem related to each other half the time, like they're randomly generated or something.

I guess my easy answer to your question would be 'no.' But I couldn't help but wonder how it was relevant. I didn't think any of it was a question of whether or not the person we were originally discussing (at the start of the thread) was a bigot or not. I thought we all agreed that he was spreading hate and ignorance. We disagreed on how a person should react to that in our society.
Well that pretty much sums it up. And accurately at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies