Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 AM

1,080 posts, read 1,708,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
So are only official courts able to decide when someone is just expressing an opinion or spreading hate & ignorance?
Well, we are a nation of laws, are we not? Is the Constitution not the supreme law of the land? Is free speech not protected, even if you happen to disagree with that speech?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 03:56 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
Originally Posted by dunkel25
Quote:
Is free speech not protected, even if you happen to disagree with that speech?
In Holland the spreading of hate is not protected under the right of free speech.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25In Holland the spreading of hate is not protected under the right of free speech.
Hm, well add one more reason I'm glad I live in the good ol' USofA. Over here, it's generally actions that are punished, instead of thoughts or words.

Holland was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,197,929 times
Originally Posted by dunkel25
Quote:
Holland was a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
I've never been to the US of A.
Nor do I want to, so I wouldn't know.

Quote:
Over here, it's generally actions that are punished, instead of thoughts or words.
No wonder the KKK can be seen as a legitimized religion/philosophy in America.
I’m just glad we don’t have them here in Holland.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 I've never been to the US of A.
Nor do I want to, so I wouldn't know.

No wonder the KKK can be seen as a legitimized religion/philosophy in America.
I’m just glad we don’t have them here in Holland.
Well, that's another great thing about America...you don't have to agree with everything someone says, but you can still believe in their right to say it.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:44 PM

116 posts, read 339,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgod View Post
I'm going to change a few locations/surrounding points because I don't want to inadvertantly reveal the identity of the perpetrator and I know there are readers here who would probably recognize him.

On a group vacation I sharing a condo with 3 others, who I had not chosen to share with. Normally on this outing I share with 3 long (ish) term colleagues but business commitments prevented them from attending.

On the first evening one of the others (who is a long time member of the association) started referring to ALL Mexican Americans as F'ng Mexicans. I asked him not to use that phrase as I didn't like it, and there are a fair number of Mexican Americans in the organization, including one of the others sharing our condo.

He then proceeded to refer to anyone, from any country in the Middle East, (or the Indian sub-continent I guess as I'm sure he sees them the same way) as "Camel Jockeys". Again I asked him to refrain from such speech for the same reasons.

Then he began using the "N" word. I had the same response for him and ASKED him 3 times not to do so.

Of course he went into the "political correctness" argument, and the "do you think you're better?" argument. Along with every other rationalization that his type comes up with.

I pointed out that I had grown up hearing, and using, that word every day, but that I hoped that my 50 plus years had brought about some improvement in my attitude and behavior. He then brought up the "Rap stars use it" arguement, which led me to point out that I didn't have to listen to them, and besides, I can call MY kid ugly, YOU can't.

I told him that I turn off shows using any of those words and that I don't allow the use in my house. He said that the condo was his as well for the 4 days and he should be able to speak as he likes.

After several minutes of trying to reason (I know, it's like trying to teach a pig to dance) with him he brings out; "How about I just talk the way I want, and you just don't listen?"

That kind of did it for me and I offered an alternative solution; "how about instead, the next time I hear that word out of you I just beat you senseless."

I know resorting to violence (it didn't get past the promise) is admitting defeat but I couldn't help it.

I'm not looking for accolades for taking a stance. Just kind of venting and looking for a better way to handle this in future.

BTW, I had already asked the group leader and the condo association if I could change as I knew this guy was a bit of a J-hole as I had met him before.

One of the most disappointing things is knowing how this guy acts and talks, and his long association with our group, I find it all but impossible to believe that none of the current of former officers and board members has ever encountered his behavior.

golfgod
I give you accolades and I think you ARE better than that jackass for twenty reasons.

First of all, if he had racist attitudes, yet is sharing an association with someone who happens to be of an ethnicity he hates: he should keep that to himself.

I personally have a problem with republicans, but if I was on a road trip with a republican I'm not gonna trash Bush every three miles. All that does is make me look like someone who gets off on making people uncomfortable, which means "classless."

Second of all, good for you. Too many of us remain silent.

Last edited by ColeSD; 02-03-2008 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: forgot a phrase

Old 02-03-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
No, he threatened someone with violence. You honestly cannot see the difference? Words thatnyou find offensive are still protected speech...threats of violence are notmand should not be.

Calling a group of people "a bunch of f***in Mexicans" or whatever the dude said IS threatening.

Do you think he was wearing a smoking jacket, and calmly said "You know... I hear those people are ruining the economy... righto" ?????

The former is threatening behavior.

The latter, ignorant, uninformed, and stupid as it is, isn't.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga.Peach View Post
The poster didn't say he was black ! He led us to think he was a 'quilty' white .

Would you also let the other jerks have it too who are not white ? Whio sing about white ho's and ******* in their ignorant racist rap songs .
As I settle down in this chair in my quilty whites...

This woman, folks, is a thread hijacker. She ruined a few threads in the Nebraska forum and actually managed to disgust a member so much that they no longer use the board.

Several of us think she's actually a bored kid.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
Calling a group of people "a bunch of f***in Mexicans" or whatever the dude said IS threatening.

Do you think he was wearing a smoking jacket, and calmly said "You know... I hear those people are ruining the economy... righto" ?????

The former is threatening behavior.

The latter, ignorant, uninformed, and stupid as it is, isn't.
Who was he threatening? Who is the victim?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,124,701 times
Default boy, I'm pretty tired of this thread, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
How is that threatening? Insulting, ignorant, and offensive, of course...but threatening? Who is being threatened?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies