Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Well you see using words like trailer trash is no differant than any other racist statement.
No, not really. Trailer trash is accepted slang terminology in our culture to denote ignorant and lowlife scum. It is understood that some people living in trailers are actually very nice. The fact someone would continue to use racial slurs after being asked to drop it provides sufficient evidence that that person could indeed be put into this category. Person could be black, white, or purple, does not matter. It is more a statement of the person's level of ignorance than a condemnation of the trailer lifestyle, specifically.

Derogatory description for person who seems well-suited to residential life in a mobile home park and is distinguished by poor hygiene, foul language, slovenly or slutty clothing, and general ignorance. Recreations include drinking malt liquor in lawn chairs under tattered R.V. awning and teenage pregnancy. Close synonymn for poor white trash. Can also be used as literal term for personal effects strewn by tornado when ripping though mobile home park.

Urban Dictionary: Trailer Trash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,533,798 times
Freedom of speech does not extend to being verbally abusive. I would suggest that it's best to avoid violence. In Tinman's case, it's also not wise to continue to provoke someone as the guy did after being asked several times to stop.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:16 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
First...if he doesn't have any ethnic friends, who is being hurt when he uses racial slurs?
That's not even the point. Most people have enough sense to behave in a civil manner around other people. The guy was asked to stop and just kept it up.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I really want to know if the majority of those who responded to this thread think it's proper and/or permissible to threaten to beat people senseless if they offend you.
Some people only respond to violence. It's unfortunate, but it's true. And please note the distinction ... the OP only threatened to punch the guy's lights out. A lot of times, the threat alone is enough with idiotic bullies like this. They talk all big and tough, but the instant someone even threatens to stand up to them, they back right down ... because in the end, they're spineless cowards.

And this comes from someone who's never thrown a punch in his life ...

Old 01-16-2008, 11:09 AM

715 posts, read 2,081,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
I don't see how you could know this about people you've never met.
I'll remind you that the OP asked for opinions. If you want to paint it as people being judgmental, I guess you can.

Did you miss the part where I said I did the same thing once, except I was an eighth grader? I don't threaten people with violence anymore.
REALLY?????.....You ASSume too much

Just to enlighten you somewhat. We do know eachother and go back a long way, also ask him, who directed his attention to this site.

I said my opinion on the ops actions, i didnt feel it necessary to write a novel on such mundane situations. Besides mr tinman01 said it perfectly. Basically, talk is cheap when 5h!t hits the fan, so you either carry on being the pu$$y or be the man who stands up for what they say..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:38 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,676,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
No, not really. Trailer trash is accepted slang terminology in our culture to denote ignorant and lowlife scum. It is understood that some people living in trailers are actually very nice. The fact someone would continue to use racial slurs after being asked to drop it provides sufficient evidence that that person could indeed be put into this category. Person could be black, white, or purple, does not matter. It is more a statement of the person's level of ignorance than a condemnation of the trailer lifestyle, specifically.

Derogatory description for person who seems well-suited to residential life in a mobile home park and is distinguished by poor hygiene, foul language, slovenly or slutty clothing, and general ignorance. Recreations include drinking malt liquor in lawn chairs under tattered R.V. awning and teenage pregnancy. Close synonymn for poor white trash. Can also be used as literal term for personal effects strewn by tornado when ripping though mobile home park.

Urban Dictionary: Trailer Trash
Then their should be no quarrel about using the term "ghetto trash" correct?

Old 01-16-2008, 12:46 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,116,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
REALLY?????.....You ASSume too much

Just to enlighten you somewhat. We do know eachother and go back a long way, also ask him, who directed his attention to this site.
Okay. I now feel enlightened. Clearly, the quality of my life has improved upon learning this new information. However, I'm one of the people you so eloquently referred to as a "wuss," and I'm fairly confident you know nothing about me.

Quote:
I said my opinion on the ops actions, i didnt feel it necessary to write a novel on such mundane situations.
I thought that was what message boards were for.

Quote:
Besides mr tinman01 said it perfectly. Basically, talk is cheap when 5h!t hits the fan, so you either carry on being the pu$$y or be the man who stands up for what they say..
So threatening violence makes you a man? This is strange logic to me.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:48 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,116,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoAdrian View Post
Some people only respond to violence. It's unfortunate, but it's true. And please note the distinction ... the OP only threatened to punch the guy's lights out. A lot of times, the threat alone is enough with idiotic bullies like this. They talk all big and tough, but the instant someone even threatens to stand up to them, they back right down ... because in the end, they're spineless cowards.

And this comes from someone who's never thrown a punch in his life ...
Those people who respond only to violence...I would as soon stay away from them, if possible. They aren't worth bothering with. And if they're making comments such as the ones the OP referenced, I'd say it isn't worth dignifying their remarks with a response. But that's me.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Then their should be no quarrel about using the term "ghetto trash" correct?
If the shoe fits then by all means you go right ahead, enjoy...

Old 01-16-2008, 02:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,178,518 times
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges
Quote:
I really want to know if the majority of those who responded to this thread think it's proper and/or permissible to threaten to beat people senseless if they offend you. Considering all the prejudiced people I've encountered here in the Deep South, you'd think I would have been imprisoned by now if I behaved that way.
Let me answer this question with the words of one of the greatest pacifist I know:
Quote:
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.
Mahatma Gandhi
Indian political and spiritual leader (1869 - 1948)
Unlike Ghandi I am no pacifist, but like Jesus I'll first turn the other cheek to learn if my attacker is simply ignorant or just being malicious.
If he is ignorant I'm willing to teach if he is willing to simply listen to what I have to say.
If he is simply being malicious, then I don't care if he is listening, he'll hear what I have to say. And I am one of those people who don’t believe that restrained violence is good or evil.
Restrained violence is just a tool and it sure can be a great educational tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies