Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,651,100 times

Advertisements

I don't think pork farmers should be subsidized, no. I also don't think that purveyors of bacon cheeseburgers should be subsidized either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If you're opposed to a nanny state, why do you want assisted suicide? What's keeping you from doing it on your own?
I can give myself a massage too, but it is better with a professional masseuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 05:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,309,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Only if you also subsidize supersized fries and a 32oz Coke, otherwise what is the point of just a burger.

What Would Bloomberg Say?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:08 AM

23,154 posts, read 26,050,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
You'll get no argument from me over assisted suicide, I always viewed Dr. 'Jack' as a hero, not a criminal.

I was just trying to make the point, and not just with you personally, that many who may claim to oppose the 'nanny state' in theory have no problem accepting its assistance in matters they support just as those who in theory support less government/less spending belie their true beliefs when they blindly support MORE military spending
If assisted suicide was removed from the books as a criminal action, that would fit well into non-involvement from a nanny state, then. Issue solved, ideal upheld.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:28 AM

10,802 posts, read 14,862,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I really think that assisted suicide will be nation wide in the future at least I really hope so. I have said this before that once I am unable to walk and lose my bodily functions I want the freedom to check out. This will reduce the cost of Medicare greatly and be less of a burden for the younger generation.
What about the establishment of a commission made up of the most qualified doctors that have the authority to terminate life when it becomes unworthy of life?

How can someone suffering from advanced stages of Alzheimer's or other debilitating disease be expected to made decisions at the end of life?

Old 03-23-2015, 06:55 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,120,918 times
No subsidizing of anything.

Period.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,375,906 times
Lightbulb Should we subsidize bacon cheeseburgers?

No, just the bacon.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,452,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I really think that assisted suicide will be nation wide in the future at least I really hope so. I have said this before that once I am unable to walk and lose my bodily functions I want the freedom to check out. This will reduce the cost of Medicare greatly and be less of a burden for the younger generation.

As far as taxing unhealthy food I say no, which way is our country going? the nanny state? the police state? or a combination of both? That kind of behavior tax is tyrannical and against the freedom our country is supposed to stand for. I say give people more freedom to check out at their choosing.
The baby boom mass will likely make the Death with Dignity movement bigger than abortion. Nothing prevents anyone from choosing to check out. Seems to me it's more of a how rather than a what.

Seems silly to me to spend time and money attempting to impose limitations on serving sizes and empty calorie content. At some future date those with waist sizes greater than X will likely pay higher healthcare premiums, no different than smokers have for the past 15 years.

As an aside, a story about a 104 year old woman who drank at least 3 cans / bottles of Dr Pepper a day and has done so for most of her life. Her doctors admonished her choices along the way. She says all those doctors are now dead and she is still here.

She is not overweight.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,675,929 times
Sounds like wimpy "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today".

Old 03-23-2015, 09:53 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,509,148 times
Soylent Green or Logans Run, take ur pick.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,593,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
What about the establishment of a commission made up of the most qualified doctors that have the authority to terminate life when it becomes unworthy of life?
Like the dreaded Obama Death Panels?

I thought Conservatives were against Death Panels?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies