Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 05:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times

Advertisements

I don't think most in America sufficiently appreciate the extent to which Netanyahu represents an embrace of Reagan conservatism. Dinesh D'Sousa says "Netanyahu to me is the closest resurrection that we've seen to Ronald Reagan. In other words, if there ever had been a campaign between Reagan and Obama, it would look a little bit like the showdown we're seeing now."

Netanyahu is mostly known for his foreign policy outlook, but he has also presided over a free-market revolution in Israel.
Why did Bibi win? It's the economy, stupid!

Similarly Republicans in the US took the US Senate last year in a repudiation of liberal policies, and 4 years earlier gained the US House, which has now cut federal spending 3 straight years. Not long ago that result would have been considered miraculous.

Granted Obama won re-election in 2012, spoiling the punch bowl, but he did so only by exploiting identity politics. Romney won the white vote by an overwhelming 59%, but Obama won the non-white vote by an even more overwhelming 80%, and thus won the election. But I see this as a fixable problem for conservatism with GOP rising stars on the horizon such as Mia Love, Tim Scott, Susana Martinez, Bobby Jindal, Janet Nguyen, and so many others.

I wonder if people will look back on the decade of 2010 as the beginning of a conservative tidal wave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 05:31 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
I think its a mistake to confuse Israel's results, with the united states. Demographics matter, and are rapidly turning against the Republican party.

I do not believe we have a wave of change coming for Republicans. Quite the opposite given the demographic changes. BUT....It really will depend on who they have for candidates.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:32 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
O didn't win in 2012 all on his own; he had the help of Mother Jones, Candy Crowley, the IRS, the faux "war on women", and Chris Christie.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:33 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,469,695 times
In the past 3 elections Likud (Netanyahu) has has 21-23% of the vote - hardly "a growing conservative tidal wave".

Your "growing conservative tidal wave" is going to fizzle out on the shores of 2016.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:37 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
I agree with greywar. It's foolish to claim an Israeli election signifies anything in the US. I wish conservatism were on the rise, but as long as we keep sending Republican dolts to Washington, the only thing on the rise is anger and hatred.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Actually the OP does have a point, conservative and center-right parties are on the rise in much of the West.

UK - Conservative Party
Canada - Conservative Party
Australia - Liberal Party (classical liberals ie: modern conservatives)
New Zealand - National Party
Israel - Likud
Germany - CDU
Netherlands - VVD
Ireland - Fine Gael
Spain - Popular Party
Japan - LDP

All of the above are center-right or conservative political parties.

Now in the United States, demographics are not on our (the GOP's) side unless we change our tune in respect to Hispanics. By 2042 Hispanics will make a third of the US population making it impossible for us win without attracting significant numbers of minorities.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Great news! Next we will have universal healthcare just like in Israel, and the women in our armed forces will be entitled to two free abortions!!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
I know that ISIS is another growing conservative tidal wave.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I think its a mistake to confuse Israel's results, with the united states. Demographics matter, and are rapidly turning against the Republican party.

I do not believe we have a wave of change coming for Republicans. Quite the opposite given the demographic changes. BUT....It really will depend on who they have for candidates.
You operate under the extremely false assumption that minorities will always vote for Democrats. Keep assuming that though because it's a joy to see the GOP take over the US in every single level of government save the white house.

Old 03-18-2015, 07:04 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,656 times
All those conservative parties you listed support universal healthcare and some form of social safety net.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies