Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
They don't understand we didn't impeach him cause hes a smuck most presendents are. WE impeached him because he lied to a grand jury. Normal person would have gone to jail for that.
NORMAL people would not have been on a stand being asked if they got oral sex from a woman..

That farce was a waste of taxpayer money. And the fact that he lied- my husband would have done the same thing. It makes his service to his country no less valueable..

Had it been an inquiry over a subject relative to his JOB I would have called him a scumbag myself. But the republican mantra still remains that it was A-Okay to waste over 50 million tax payer dollars on inturding into the presidents sex life. To most people that is unacceptable.

Now look at the dirty people in there now LYING about a war in which young americans are getting killed by the dozens. And the dirt around Halliburton's contracts. Who are you calling scum now?? Yet Nancy Pelosi just said on national TV that they are not going to persue impeachment against Bush. Though I am sure if they dug they could find a darn good reason to bring up charges against him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2006, 10:38 AM

922 posts, read 1,908,535 times
if there was a real third party to vote for with more middle of the road views maybe there wouldnt be such a huge swing feeling every time things change. the far left dems did not win this. it was the middle, swing voters, they voted for change, just for the sake of change. the majority does not want the pelosi, frisco type thinking. will see how they do on immigration,etc.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,692 times
I too am a little leery of Pelosi - but I hope that she will do more in the way of doing the people's bidding and less of trying to spread her ideals..

Her speech this morning was a good, positive start. We will have to see.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM

1,405 posts, read 4,786,813 times
Once again VT leads the nation.

We gave the squillionaire carpetbagger a good hosing! He was the only candidate, by the way, who ran a meanspirited negative campaign.

20-25 percent of VT voters split the top of thier tickets.

As one poly sci prof said recently - there really aren't Democrat and Republican parties in VT, there are just constituencies. In addition to the notable frootloops among them, there are some terrific really popular independents in VT with serious constituencies and real grass roots support.

Only one real dissapointment for me today. Life is good.

Old 11-08-2006, 04:48 PM

328 posts, read 239,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Nope- I was busy relishing in the fact that at least one house of Congress is back in the hands of the grownups. I'll spend Wednesday morning crossing my fingers for the other house, too.

That sound you hear- that's the sound of America giving GWB and his cabal the educated finger...
This is what I have a minor problem with...I don't agree with pretty much anything the far left has to say; the Democratic party has changed immensely within the past 50 years (a la Dennis Miller - he didn't leave the Democratic party, they left him) but that being said, I am still an American and it seems like an oxymoron when you mention the fact that the grown-ups have control of Congress, yet your statement regarding "the finger" is on the verge of immature. My priority is to better America and work together....as difficult as that may be, it doesn't help to throw out insults...especially since the party that you chose prevailed. What's up?!?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
I have a friend who is a moderate Republican in Washington DC. He's not "in" politics but he meets with political leaders all the time. He told me, way back when Pelosi was elected Minority Whip, that she was well-liked by the Republicans. She's an old school politician and, apparently, just a really nice person -- a genuinely nice person. Republican leaders, at that time, were more concerned that they would look like ogres if they tried to put Pelosi down using the typical dirty tricks.

I think she'll seek more compromise and accomplishments from members of Congress. I don't think she'll be trying to force what her (very liberal) district would like down everyone's throats. She just doesn't operate that way.

One other nice thing about Pelosi is that she doesn't appear to have any Presidential aspirations.

I think she is going to do a very good job, and we Americans deserve to have a congress that works!

Old 11-08-2006, 04:55 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
This is what I have a minor problem with...I don't agree with pretty much anything the far left has to say; the Democratic party has changed immensely within the past 50 years (a la Dennis Miller - he didn't leave the Democratic party, they left him) but that being said, I am still an American and it seems like an oxymoron when you mention the fact that the grown-ups have control of Congress, yet your statement regarding "the finger" is on the verge of immature. My priority is to better America and work together....as difficult as that may be, it doesn't help to throw out insults...especially since the party that you chose prevailed. What's up?!?
well what do you exspect from the grown ups Especialy when most of the Dems where druged up hippies in the 70's. and they say drugs have no long term effect. haven't ppl realized yet that if any 1 party gets control they go corrupt. don't care what party GOP or Dems. look at the clinton years abuse of power just like now. except it was the Dems. NO party should have it all.

Old 11-08-2006, 07:46 PM

148 posts, read 950,871 times
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
there busy packing up, going to move to canada if the results arent like they want!

I agree.

These disgraced Republicans have found the perfect Web site, too--a relocation Web site.

Bundle up, and top off the gas tank at the Canadian border--the American side. Gas is more expensive in Canada, although Dubya was working extra hard to make gas more expensive here.

Where's the best parka sales?

Those liberals in Canada will teach you a thing a two.

Z

Old 11-08-2006, 08:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbercuddles View Post
The grin after my "educated finger" comment was meant to indicate that I said that tongue-in-cheek. Though, this election was a blistering assessment of Bush's performance- no arguing that.

And yes, I do believe that the Democrats are now the grown-ups. 12 years ago, they weren't- they grew fat from feeding at the power trough over the previous 40 years. The Republicans went too far the other way too fast IMO, and the power got to their heads much faster.

What makes me happy about this election, in all seriousness, is that we now have oversight and accountability. No more rubber-stamp Congress. Hopefully, no more crafting of outrageous bills with completely unrelated poison-pill provisions that are submitted to vote within hours of drafting. This is how government is supposed to work- Congress keeps the President in check. Now that will happen.

Old 11-09-2006, 01:18 AM

328 posts, read 239,941 times
I understand what you're saying a little more clearly, now. As long as we can get rid of the partisan attitudes (for America's sake) I agree...I think it's best that we have different parties in control of the branches of government. Will it work? I hope so. I would love to see the Democrats from the past return...not worried so much about the special interest groups and more for the small businesses/families/morals...can we just eliminate the edges (far right and left) from the Democratic and Republican parties in order to get rid of the radicals? I believe that is where the heart of America lies....in the middle.

Last edited by Kimbercuddles; 11-09-2006 at 01:20 AM.. Reason: i am a tired dork
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies