Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 10:23 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times

Advertisements

yes, I realize it sounds like something from The Onion..

Quote:
The safe space, Ms. Byron explained, was intended to give people who might find comments “troubling” or “triggering,” a place to recuperate. The room was equipped with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh, calming music, pillows, blankets and a video of frolicking puppies, as well as students and staff members trained to deal with trauma. Emma Hall, a junior, rape survivor and “sexual assault peer educator” who helped set up the room and worked in it during the debate, estimates that a couple of dozen people used it. At one point she went to the lecture hall — it was packed — but after a while, she had to return to the safe space. “I was feeling bombarded by a lot of viewpoints that really go against my dearly and closely held beliefs,” Ms. Hall said.

In College and Hiding From Scary Ideas
how awful. her dearly and closely held beliefs were challenged?

maybe a can of Play-Doh will help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,272,620 times
OMG those kids will never make it in the real world!

Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
OMG those kids will never make it in the real world!
long gone are the days when university was supposed to prepare you for adulthood. now, self-infantilization is the name of the game.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:33 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
In trauma survivor support group, we learned the term secondary wound. It is true that some of the talks, discussion can trigger traumatic memories and it is counterproductive to the healing process.

HOWEVER, one of the options is to avoid situation like that. The students don't have to attend the debate session if the session becomes too intense or too "triggering" for them.

One great way to make your life unnecessarily hard and difficult is to assume that the world revolves around you.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:35 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,366,346 times
These young adults are going to be in for a rude awakening when (if) they get a job and find that their employer doesn't have a room with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh for them to hide in when they're exposed to something "troubling".

Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,043 times
All Brown résumés direct to the round file.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:50 AM

19,835 posts, read 12,092,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
These young adults are going to be in for a rude awakening when (if) they get a job and find that their employer doesn't have a room with cookies, coloring books, bubbles, Play-Doh for them to hide in when they're exposed to something "troubling".
Surely employers can at least have a video of puppies frolicking to ease their traumatized psyches.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:54 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,738 times
(trigger warning: this message is going to present a critical view, reader beware.)

There is actually a business in brooklyn called preschool mastermind, where adults go to apply preschool activities like nap time, finger painting, glitter glue, show and tell, etc to help get through their adult challenges. This is millenials. They are destined to become the laughing stock of history.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:03 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In trauma survivor support group, we learned the term secondary wound. It is true that some of the talks, discussion can trigger traumatic memories and it is counterproductive to the healing process.

HOWEVER, one of the options is to avoid situation like that. The students don't have to attend the debate session if the session becomes too intense or too "triggering" for them.

One great way to make your life unnecessarily hard and difficult is to assume that the world revolves around you.
in my not so humble opinion, in order to "get over" something bad that happens in ones life, they have to meet it head on. avoiding it only puts off the pain of healing. and it doesnt matter what that bad thing, or things are, for instance my kidneys have failed to the point where i am on dialysis three times per week. now i could sit around feeling sorry for myself, and say woe is me, etc. but instead i dont let it get me down.

death smiles at everyone, marines smile back. i not only smile back, but i kick his butt.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:07 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,388,633 times
This is an outrage that there are no juice boxes, binkies or someone to swaddle them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies