Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,822,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I do, as well, but the biggest obstacle for me is proof. Executing innocent people is more atrocious than most of the crimes, themselves.
I would even be fine with creating a higher standard than beyond a reasonable doubt. Plus the appeals process needs to be better funded to speed up the process. Here on california you don't even have an attorney assigned to your case at least for 10 years because of budget cuts.

Better Funding the appeals process would actually reduce costs as people would be on death row for shorter periods of time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 01:58 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Thanks.

Timothy McVeigh, the cold-hearted mass murderer of 168 people, was put to death.

seems fair, to me. I don't know what to think about death penalty to be complete honest.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:01 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
I do, as well, but the biggest obstacle for me is proof. Executing innocent people is more atrocious than most of the crimes, themselves.
This. And equally atrocious are the executions of people who are mentally ill and those with IQs so low that they are classified as mentally disabled. Texas seems to have no problem executing anyone, regardless of their mental capacity.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:08 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
When it comes to the death penalty, the USA has company of only the worse countries (China, Yemen, Iran and North Korea) in the world. Countries like Australia and those in Europe exercise more civility. Just not as blood thirty.
japan, singapore and south korea are 'worse countries'?

worse than what exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I support the death penalty only for the most atrocious acts, like this one.
same here.

Quote:
I hear Utah is making some nice strides in this area recently.
it would be funny if the result of anti-death-penalty European countries refusing to sell drugs used in lethal injections results in many states going back to the firing squad, like Utah.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:09 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
This. And equally atrocious are the executions of people who are mentally ill and those with IQs so low that they are classified as mentally disabled. Texas seems to have no problem executing anyone, regardless of their mental capacity.
Yes, I think I can accept this.

However, No evidence but only hearsay has been presented that Tamerlan Tsarnaev has dealt with mental disturbances.

I read an article, says

"What we have here is not schizophrenia. McVeigh probably did not hallucinate, but his thinking bordered on 'delusional.' Some would argue that his belief was not delusional, that there was a grain of truth to it, but every delusion has a grain of truth. His thinking was somewhat paranoid--- 'they are plotting against me.'

THE MENTAL ILLNESS OF TIMOTHY MCVEIGH

Yet, McVeigh received death penalty.

Old 03-24-2015, 02:23 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
If we don't give the death penalty to an unrepentant terrorist who thought it was okay to kill or maim random people including children in a heinous fashion, then the death penalty should be abolished.

Let's not be like Norway, an increasingly right-wing, near monoculture who gave one of their own merely life in prison for the diabolical, political and ideological based murders of 77 people, mostly children. The demon's name is Anders Behring Breivik and it gives the wrong message to the world that he is still alive.

To me it cheapens life -- what's 77 dead kids when we have a public image to think of.

Last edited by Back to NE; 03-24-2015 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-24-2015, 09:33 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
What, 320 million people....with some very, VERY violent people in the mix.

These violent nuts occasionally butcher, torture, maim people. Then if they get caught, hum, sometimes they get sentenced to death. Appeal after appeal, 20 or more years, then they get put to death in the states that actually carry-out the DP.

Might as well get rid of it.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:39 PM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
I don't think the death penalty is ever morally justified. The only goal of justice should be to disarm the threat presented by an individual, which prison does quite well. There is no moral "evenness" that is accomplished by retributive justice. Our goal should be to minimize suffering, and the death penalty does not do that.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:03 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
I support the death penalty only for the most atrocious acts, like this one. I hear Utah is making some nice strides in this area recently.

Yes, Firing Squad as a backup method.

This murderer deserves "slow fire".

Martin Richard;
"He was 8 years old"

Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
I oppose the death penalty for two reasons -

1) this is not a power we should give to government
2) we know that people are wrongfully convicted, there doesn't seem to be any sure way to prevent this

I have no problem with a true life sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies