Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 12:33 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times

Advertisements

Satire, but like much good satire, hits pretty close to home:

President Signs Order Making Ted Cruz Ineligible for Obamacare - The New Yorker

"...Even as he signed the order, the President said that he was “torn” about barring Cruz from coverage, stating,”He’s definitely someone who would benefit from seeing a doctor.”

In an official statement released later in the day, Cruz blasted the executive order and accused Obama of distorting his position on Obamacare: “I never said I didn’t want to have it. I said I didn’t want everyone else in the country to have it."

Ken

Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordbalfor View Post
satire, but like much good satire, hits pretty close to home:

president signs order making ted cruz ineligible for obamacare - the new yorker

"...even as he signed the order, the president said that he was “torn” about barring cruz from coverage, stating,”he’s definitely someone who would benefit from seeing a doctor.”

in an official statement released later in the day, cruz blasted the executive order and accused obama of distorting his position on obamacare: “i never said i didn’t want to have it. I said i didn’t want everyone else in the country to have it."

ken
lol

Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The best example of pretzel twisting yet.

Helping? He tried to destroy it.

The only person he is helping is himself.

He had the choice of not signing up for it if he really believes what he says.

But his actions speak for themselves.
Yup, they show him up as a two-faced weasel.

Ken

Old 03-25-2015, 12:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Actually, he won't be...in one particular way. Democrats voted to exempt federal employees from the wage limit for subsidies, so tax payers are subsidizing congress members, even though they earn $170K PLUS per year. Cruz has stated that HE WILL NOT accept a subsidy and will pay the actual cost of the Obamacare policy for his family.
The Republican initiated legislation that was passed that required Congress and their staff to by healccare insurance from an authorized exchange. Subsequent to this passage, Congress woke up and realized that the legislation disqualified Senators, reps and their staffs fron the legacy employer subsidy. So they demanded an exception be made and used the argument it was for their staffs who are not well compensated. They did not however exempt themselves.

This legislation did not impact the majority of federal employees.

Congress uses a special DC small business healthcare portal to compare, contrast and enroll in healthcare insurance. As I understand it, the employee benefit subsidy is automatically applied to the premium for qualified federal employees., senators, reps and their army of aides. I have no idea if one can opt out of this employee benifit, unless they decline insurance, because of spousal coverage.

The employee benefit subsidy carries a value of about $10,000/ year for a senator with a family of 4 choosing a Gold Plan. This is slightly less competitive with private sector large group subsidies.

Given Senator compensation and the size of the Cruz family, he would not qualify for a low income subsidy.
Not clear, if Cruz is talking about forgoing the employee benefit subsidy or a subsidy he would not qualify for.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:44 PM

511 posts, read 509,066 times
Quote:

Yes he had the chance to NOT sign up, a benefit many of us do not have

Yet he did anyhow....

He's been against Congress exemptions from the getgo

He is a member of Congress himself.

Again, I am glad he signed up. He's paying out the whoozoo which assists other poor people

Obamacare is not my favorite either but it has it's good points. It would be disengenous to deny that

Again, actually listen to the video. That's a good start

Old 03-25-2015, 12:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsApt View Post

many Americans do because his wife left her job so they do not have that insurance any longer. And he opposes the exemption for Congress so that pretty much told us his views

He is a true saint.

Old 03-25-2015, 12:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Bwa ha ha! Your Republican plan includes "Create a new protection to help Americans with pre-existing conditions", "Modernize Medicaid to provide better coverage and care to patients", and "Targeted tax credit to help buy health care". How is that different from Obamacare?

All it adds is limits to malpractice lawsuits and allow companies to sell across state lines - neither of which makes a big dent in pricing.
Which is Tort Reform, which half the states already have.

Physician Employment Articles and Information on Doctor Jobs – NewPhysician

Guess how much it has helped reduce health care costs for their residents? Zero. The insurance companies keep the money, they do not pass it on in any way. Texas has tort reform and has one of the highest uninsured rates in the country. Tort reform is a Republican catch phrase sponsored by insurance companies.

So the Republican plan looks like the ACA/Obamacare, but with tort reform, which is meaningless and selling across state lines.

I think selling across state lines would be doable on the federal exchange, although there are challenges with it. Since the only thing Republicans have to add is insurance across state lines, why don't they propose it?

Old 03-25-2015, 12:49 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,816 times
Quote:

The only reason he is using DC's website to obtain his HC policy..is because Texas ( his home state) does not have one!!! Kinda tells you something there because IF SCOTUS rules that State residents CANNOT utilize Federally set up Sites for the population who don't live in a STATE that has NOT set one up..Cruz Boy is out of luck..He'd have to go to an Insurance Broker in order to obtain a policy..and then try to BILL/Invoice the Gov't for the employer usual 75% of taxpayer funded benefit!! LOL Only in America

Old 03-25-2015, 12:49 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I really see you don't get what the rules surrounding ACA are...Now IF anyone is sold a non-approved plan by an Insurance Company..Fault (liability/fines) lies with the "Insurance Company" and NOT the purchaser of a policy that DOES not comport to the Regulations....

BTW~~ Are you advocating for paying for Insurance that does NOT cover things required..? The term was used often in the past few years "Junk Policies"..which means you pay premiums..THEN learn that your policy does NOT cover it..loopholes abound in those Junk Policies back then
Please tell me what my policy consisted of?

Go ahead, prove to me and many others what their policy consists of to make them junk.....

Old 03-25-2015, 12:51 PM

511 posts, read 509,066 times
It's good he is against exemptions for Congress, while he is a member of Congress.

Let him pay the full price of an overblown costly policy.

My guess is he'll get out of it and buy a private policy which will be cheaper for him after a while.

Again, we need those folks to help offset the poor people using the system

I appreciate despite him being against Obamacare, he is willing to become a part of it.

Maybe he'll learn something first hand he didn't know before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies