Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:50 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Omg, who cares. My Japanese friend won Miss Japanese Teen and can barely speak Japanese. She is as American as I am. But she is also 100% Japanese.

Too much other more important things going on in the world to worry about a beauty pageant!
Agreed. I don't understand why many women complain about how men (and other women) are so shallow and only care about about a woman's appearance, yet they still hold these primitive competitions and are obsessed with the results of said contests. What a waste of time/energy/makeup/airline frequent flyer miles beauty pageants are

Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
I don't understand beauty pageants. At some point, someone decided that a contest judging physical beauty has to also take into account of the contestants' intelligence and talent.

What this did was to ensure that the winners who are relatively mediocre in looks, intelligence and talent! Don't you cringe when you watch the Q&A and talent sections of the contest? Awful. There are millions of women who are smarter and more talented than these contestants, and if you just walk around NYC, Dallas or LA, you would bump into so many who look just as good as, if not a lot better than, the contestants. You know what they say, jack of all trades . . .

Mick

Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Right, because blacks are just loved by the Europeans (particularly, former Soviet Union countries). . . Google a bit and you will find horrendous stories of prejudice against blacks in Europe. Blacks wouldn't be physically attacked in Japan, on the other hand.

And not to mention the U.S., Latin American countries, India, Arabian countries, Australia, New Zealand, and so on. We are all racists towards blacks. Sad but true.

Mick
Yet blacks from Africa do all they can, including risking their lives, to get to Europe, Arabia, Australia, the US, former USSR, etc; even those countries are their worst day, still treat blacks better than blacks get treated in their own countries by their own black people.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:59 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,599,094 times
Yeah, I was shocked that a friend of mine who is American of Thai descent and her bf's mother didn't want him dating her because his family is Vietnamese. Another friend had the same issue with her parents. She was Vietnamese and her now husband's family was from the Philpines. Also a few Mexican American friends had issues with dark Mexicans. I thought some of us Blacks only felt this way. What a bizarro world we live in.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:25 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,465,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Don't think she should have won, not because she's black but because she's not that pretty.
If you look at pics of all the contestants, she was definitely the hottest.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:35 AM

722 posts, read 1,328,590 times
I dont think it was a good idea

Japan is not a melting pot like the USA, why use mixed race people to represent their country?

Old 03-25-2015, 09:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
She's not pretty at all just a less ugly mix. There are lots of black Japanese kids and most of them look sort of like a Kimora lee who I consider not really pretty at all.

The problem we have is that for a country like Japan that is predominantly one race and to have someone that is mixed to win is a slap in the face of all the prior Japanese contestants that didn't win that are 100% Japanese origins.

It sends a message to Japanese women that they aren't beautiful enough to the world unless they are mixed.

Why do you think that many Japanese trends these days involve tanning, making their lips bigger, and their eye lids changed.

This is the message this pageant is sending home.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Right, because blacks are just loved by the Europeans (particularly, former Soviet Union countries). . . Google a bit and you will find horrendous stories of prejudice against blacks in Europe. Blacks wouldn't be physically attacked in Japan, on the other hand.
Well, nobody would be physically attacked in Japan. It simply doesn't exist there. So it's not really much of a point. Japanese would instead avoid any contact and not admit to understanding English (when they do) if contact is made. Small restaurants would find an excuse not to be open if a Black person showed up.

On the other hand, it's very rare to see a Black person in Japan and then maybe only in Tokyo, Osaka or near a US military base.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:02 AM

12,846 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post

Critics slam biracial Miss Universe Japan because she’s ‘not Japanese enough’
BY Meg Wagner

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 8:59 AM

“She has too much black blood in her to be Japanese,” one borderline racist critic posted online, according to Japan’s RocketNews24.
My comment is directed toward the news article and the write, apparently Meg Wagner. Why in the world do you use the term "borderline racist" in the article? You know good and well had this been in the US, there would be no "borderline" attached to it.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:13 AM

1,293 posts, read 1,218,012 times
I worked with a young lady years ago who was Black/Japanese. Her name was Hatsu (beautifuly young lady). I never had an opportunity to ask her about her life in our out of Japan and I don't even know if she was American born.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies