Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Your source says "Verde Point is a "luxury apartment" complex that is currently accepting public housing assistance recipients who will live there practically for free, (at least until they become gainfully employed and their incomes rise.)"

Notice the words in ( ) above. That apartment is part of some "rare" work training program, and its only temporary housing.

Your source also says "local governments pay for subsidized housing in luxury units by giving tax breaks to often-wealthy real estate developers who set aside units."

Will you attack the wealthy real estate developers who created those Sect 8 apartments?
Or will you only attack the low income Americans who live in the apartments?

Answer: You will forgive the wealthy developers who created the apartments. Then you will attack the low income Americans for temporarily living in the apartments.
I actually did attack the developers who use these programs, even though I used them. I've seen first hand how they are abused and have no problem opposing them saying they should be abolished.

I was then attacked by the left, who then defended the developers claiming things like, people would go homeless..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Absolutely. We're dealing with Section 8 problems right now in an otherwise nice neighborhood. It's heart-breaking, and one long-time homeowner has already sold out.

Before anyone has a hissy-fit, how about you spend a few years living in the midst of Section 8 housing, and then get back to me.

BTW, that article was a great read.
It certainly was. I loved this part:

"Voucher appropriations are based not only on the mistaken belief that it is necessary to award, at public expense, a better home to all who can demonstrate "need," but also that it is uplifting to do so, when in fact it is the effort to achieve the good home, rather than the good home in itself, that is the real engine of uplift."

Old 03-26-2015, 06:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I'm not so sure I believe such a thing to this extent, however I used to deliver furniture when I was younger to the projects. On the outside it was your typical projects but on the inside big screen Tv's with surround sound. We were not delivering cheap furniture to them either. Hell paying $20.00 a month more of less they had no problem affording nice things along with all the food stamp they got.

What exactly are you smacking your head at ? you said they paid 20 dollars a month to rent furniture.

Do you think spending 20 dollars a month on furniture is to much money ???????

Old 03-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What exactly are you smacking your head at ? you said they paid 20 dollars a month to rent furniture.

Do you think spending 20 dollars a month on furniture is to much money ???????
most rental rates for furniture are by the week, so maybe he meant weekly, not monthly.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
most rental rates for furniture are by the week, so maybe he meant weekly, not monthly.
No, Rooms to go has month rates as low as 14 a month.

Rooms To Go - Affordable Home Furniture Store Online

Old 03-26-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
No, Rooms to go has month rates as low as 14 a month.

Rooms To Go - Affordable Home Furniture Store Online
Thats just a couch, and thats financed, not a rental.

p.s. I have a couch like that out on my patio, I paid I think about $100 for it. Who wants to rent it from me? its new, probably been sat on twice, the ROI would be huge.. haha

Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
There's no such thing as zoning for public housing. There's zoning to allow for multi-family, but it's illegal to exclude housing based upon income. And you'd be shocked at how much "public housing" probably exists in middle-income neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Most people would indeed be shocked.
Does inclusionary zoning not fit the bill? Because this is what's exactly happening in that county. So I'm not sure why I should be shocked when I have seen the effects firsthand hand in these areas when I lived in MD. This has shown some profound effects in some of the schools as this link shows.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:40 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
I'm supposed to be jealous of people on welfare?

Get outta here.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats just a couch, and thats financed, not a rental.

p.s. I have a couch like that out on my patio, I paid I think about $100 for it. Who wants to rent it from me? its new, probably been sat on twice, the ROI would be huge.. haha

1. he said he delivered furniture, he didnt say how much( so saying that is just a couch doesnt matter.) He also didnt say rent( that was me).

The point of my post is that you can have it in your home for less than 20 dollars a month, Rooms to go isnt the cheapest on the block either, so you can probably buy it cheaper and rent it cheaper somewhere else.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
1. he said he delivered furniture, he didnt say how much( so saying that is just a couch doesnt matter.) He also didnt say rent( that was me).

The point of my post is that you can have it in your home for less than 20 dollars a month, Rooms to go isnt the cheapest on the block either, so you can probably buy it cheaper and rent it cheaper somewhere else.
Rental rates, are weekly almost everywhere.

If it was a purchase, then the delivery people wouldn't have any knowledge if they were paid in full, or paying monthly since a sale, even if financed, would be sold to a finance company and the furniture place would be paid in advance regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies