Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 05:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
People and corporations are more enlightened today - well at least the smart ones are. That law is really bad for the state's businesses - really, really bad.

Ken
rubbish, it isnt "enlightenment", more like its bowing to the LBGT lobby pressure to fully and loudly accept the gay lifestyle. in other words its pandering to a small minority of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 05:29 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post

You statists keep saying "you have to sell them the cake" but why should I? I own the property, I own the cake batter, the eggs, the milk, the oven, etc. It is all of MY property, so why should I have to sell it someone I do not want to? Forcing someone against their will to sell something is essentially the same thing as rape. Your property is extension of your self.

Yes, of course selling someone a cake when you bake cakes for a living is comparable to someone sexually and forcefully invading your body against your will.

I can't believe someone actually typed that. It is not even "essentially" close to the same thing.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
The cohabitation part of Utah's polygamy law was stuck down as unconstitutional in 2013.
Ah, good to know! Thanks for the update. Still, it's astounding that it took till 2013 to strike down such a ridiculous law.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:32 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Reading all of these post just reinforces my good decision made many years ago to give up on organized religion.

I am far more moral than those who hide behind their religion in order to subjugate others.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:35 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoliticallyConscious View Post
I wish the gays would stop riding on the backs of 1960s Blacks. You cannot even compare this to the Civil Rights Movements. Black people were discriminated against back then simply because they were black. They didn't choose to be black just like I didn't choose to be white. Whereas being gay is a behavior - a personal choice one makes.
And people who are gay are being discriminated against because they are gay. Which they -cannot- choose. It is as much a part of one's being as breathing or blinking. People who choose between men or women, they're called bi(or pan)sexuals.

It helps to actually be educated on the subject.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Explain to me how an atheist would assert his religious beliefs as a defense under Indiana's RFRA. By definition, atheists don't have religious beliefs.
Several Christian denominations subscribe to the Christian a Idenity Movement whic interprets scripture along racial lines.

Anyone, anywhere cand create a church and create their own belief system.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Again you are not REFUSED service because you don't have a rewards card, you CHOOSE not to shop there.
The couple that is refused service based in their sexual orientation IS refused service, they have no choice in regards to shopping there or not.

Basically you are saying that since YOU can choose if you shop here or there, I should be ok with being denied shopping here but not there.
First, news bulletin: Arkansas House passes its own "religious freedom" bill - CBS News

You're right I am not refused service because I don't have a rewards card. I am refused the 'preferred customer', loyalty, "lower pricing". (which is not really low price; things I don't forgot) The bag of dog food, cost 12.99 with the card. The bad of dog food cost 25.99 with out the card. I walked out, left the dog food, went to another store, bought the same bag of dog food for 12.99. Never walked back into the reward card store again, but gave another retailer my business. You're right, I choose, but I was made to choose, higher price or other store.

The gay couple who is refused service, because of the business religious belief, is also made to choose to go do business else where and they can not sue the establishment, because the establishment now has protection under the law. Should the gay person be okay with that? Well lets just see...

Shift shoes:

Say a gay couple open a bakery and refuse service to heterosexuals, would that business also have protection under the law?

An Atheist opens a business and refuse to service Christians, are they protected under the law?

Law makers are working towards protecting business owners from retaliation from people's expensive/frivolous law suits.

Does this law protect, ALL citizens (business owners) regardless of race or creed and/or sexual orientation?

If I walked into an Atheist bookstore and was turned away at the counter, because they detected I was a Christian, I guess I'd have to be ok with that, wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 03-31-2015 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: grammer! need some

Old 03-31-2015, 05:38 PM

157 posts, read 96,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Several Christian denominations subscribe to the Christian a Idenity Movement whic interprets scripture along racial lines.

Anyone, anywhere cand create a church and create their own belief system.
That's all good and interesting, but it doesn't answer of how an atheist would assert his religious beliefs as a defense under Indiana's RFRA. By definition, atheists don't have religious beliefs.

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM

998 posts, read 664,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
And people who are gay are being discriminated against because they are gay. Which they -cannot- choose. It is as much a part of one's being as breathing or blinking. People who choose between men or women, they're called bi(or pan)sexuals.

It helps to actually be educated on the subject.
Blacks who lived under Jim Crow laws in the South were restricted to certain schools, jobs, and public facilities.

Under the religious freedom legislation, it is possible that a conservative Christian business owner may refuse to whip up an "Adam loves Steve" cake, and the gay couple may need to seek out one of the other 99 cake shops in their town who will gladly create the cake for them.

Oh, the humanity!

Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
A lesbian walks into a legal brothel and asks for a hot woman. Do they have to serve her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies