Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 06:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And then they will get horrible reviews. IF you can not provide a service without discriminating, then do not offer that service.
Falls into the category of, "they can't seem to get anything right for gay weddings." I really don't think that hurts their bottom line much. It might even help it. There's a lot of people out there with serious dislike for the entire LGBT movement. Screwing with the gays, even if you don't get away with it, would make you a lot of friends in those circles. So screwing up their wedding might just be very very good for business. Heck, doing some jail time for it might just make you famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 06:17 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Reading all of these post just reinforces my good decision made many years ago to give up on organized religion.

I am far more moral than those who hide behind their religion in order to subjugate others.
Who is subjugating who here, in your opinion? Aren't you on the side that wants to threaten people with violence if they don't do with their own property what you want them to do with it? How is that moral? Do you think it's moral to walk into a shop, point a gun at someone, and force them to serve a customer they don't want to serve (regardless of what their reasoning is)?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:18 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Actually they are because for all intensive purposes they qualify as a religion according to the SC.
There are no religious beliefs associated with atheism. There is no doctrine, or book to follow.
How would an atheist claim religious belief in business under this law?

Christian baker "my religious belief says that I can not serve X,Y, or Z"
Atheist baker "My religious belief says ???????"
The only atheist belief is that we don't believe in a god.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
liberals and the media are silly people....this law has nothing to do about gays......the same law that Bill Clinton signed into federal law with both republican and democrat majority.

Religious Freedom Restoration Act prevent government discrimination against religious free exercise and simply provide a way to balance religious liberty with compelling government interests.........all you get is a hearing to be heard, the government will always have the last word.

This goes for Muslims and Native Americans who practice their faith.
It shares some but not all common language with the 1993 federal bill.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
You should be asking do liberals really want to be able to force Muslims to publish Mohammed cartoons given their opposition to the Indiana law?

It helps to understand the liberal mind, which is all about feeling good as opposed to doing good. The liberal mind is a emotional cesspool of nutty beliefs and illogical ideas, combined with a fervent belief that they can do no wrong. The scary part is that the nutty ideas and the risk of their implementation affects us all.
Speaking of nutty belief systems........

How is anyone forced to draw cartoons and what does this have to do with this thread?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Should a black owner of a Copy Shop be forced to print KKK flyers might be a better question.
Would the KKK patronize a black- owned business?

Old 03-31-2015, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Actually it is "discussed" in the bible

BIBLE VERSES ABOUT GAY MARRIAGE

It actually has quite a lot to say about it.
As written, translated and interpreted by man.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
I agree.. we have lost our way
Speak for yourself. I haven't lost anything.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
That's all good and interesting, but it doesn't answer of how an atheist would assert his religious beliefs as a defense under Indiana's RFRA. By definition, atheists don't have religious beliefs.
There was a recent supreme court case involving a prisoner who wanted to start an atheist activity group, on the same grounds that the prison had religious activity groups (IIRC, the activity groups were for different denominations, and I believe there was one for muslims.)

The prison turned down the proposal.

The supremes said that, for the purposes of the first amendment, the atheist proposal should be considered on the same grounds as the religious proposals were.

This was quite recent, within the last six months, I believe.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Would the KKK patronize a black- owned business?
Its not proper form to answer a question with a question. Maybe the Klansman has no idea who owns the business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies