Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 05:25 AM

89,004 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Hey, your "shoved in their face" is someone else's right to protest.
Just like everyone has the First Amendment rights to protest same sex marriage (the California public even voted against it before a judge illegaly legislated from the bench ) via both free speech and the right to exercise their religion.

Why do some people think they should have more rights than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The Ruling was about compelling Hobby Lobby and other closely held corporations to PAY for insurance. PAYING for insurance that didn't coincide with their religious beliefs was the violation Hobby Lobby sued over.
Now, you're beginning to understand. SCOTUS's HL ruling clearly indicates that closely held corporations cannot be compelled to violate their religion when less-restrictive means of achieving the goal are available.

There are plenty of less-restrictive means for a gay couple to acquire wedding goods/services.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 04-08-2015 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But what if I am an agnostic baker and so have no religious beliefs?
Then you wouldn't decline a custom order cake for a same sex wedding on the First Amendment grounds of religious objection. I don't see a problem with that.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The Founders had very good and specific reasons for the First Amendment's so-called "Establishment Clause" and the "Free Exercise Clause." They were familiar with religious persecution. It is what drove many (if not most) to the "New World."
Exactly, and now it's happening here. How sad.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:33 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
But he is so wrong that I can only take pity out on him as a human being.
No, I'm not wrong. You and your friends are.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Once again, just how many times do people like you have to be told that many gays can pass for straight? How is a baker supposed to know he is dealing with a gay person when one of them is ordering a cake for his gay wedding and is not letting on that the cake will be used at a gay wedding? When they are selling wedding cakes, do you fully expect the anti-gay baker to ask the customer, "Are you gay?" How can you judge a person when you have nothing to go on?

By the way, many Christians do not think it's wrong of them to sell cakes to be used at gay weddings.
Well, gee, I guess it might be obvious depending on what the decorations are, and in at least one case, the person ordering the cake was known to the baker.

Let's not be silly here.

What "many Christians" may think is irrelevant. "Many Christians" that do not think it's wrong do not know scripture. Many are Christians in name only, and aren't really Christians at all, though they may think they are. There are a lot of "good people" who attend church who claim to be Christian who will wind up in Hell.

Those who refuse to bake wedding cakes for "gays" are true believers, and they know what the Bible tells them about partnering with evil, and sinful behavior. We are told to have nothing to do with it. To force a Christian into the service of a homosexual "wedding" is to force them into an unholy alliance with evil, and no judge or jury ought to allow a lawsuit to prevail against them. This is a gross violation of the First Amendment's "free exercise clause."

Is the U.S. Constitution not the highest law in the land? Therefore, the "free exercise clause" trumps any "sexual orientation" non-discrimination law.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 04-08-2015 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-08-2015, 07:05 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What if the baker asks asks for the names of the people getting married and they are Casey and Jordan?
Male / male?
Female / female?
Male / female?

OH NO!!!!
IIRC, in at least two of these well-publicized cases, the owner didn't know it was for a ssm until she asked for the name of the groom or husband and was told it was another bride or given a typically female name.

The hotel in Vermont happened like that --- the hotel ended up not hosting any weddings. The other was a wedding cake case where a bide-to-be and her mother went to order the cake and the same type thing happened.

There are so many permutations of how a business could theoretically accept a ssm they'd rather not serve, or reject one because they mistakenly think it is a ssm.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, gee, I guess it might be obvious depending on what the decorations are, and in at least one case, the person ordering the cake was known to the baker.

Let's not be silly here.

"Christians" that do not think it's wrong do not know scripture. They are Christians in name only. They aren't really Christians at all, though they may think they are. There are a lot of "good people" who attend church who call themselves Christian who will wind up in Hell.

Those who refuse to bake wedding cakes for "gays" are true believers, and they know what the Bible tells them about partnering with evil, and sinful behavior. We are told to have nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry, but we will just have to respectfully disagree on this one! I don't know that and neither do you. In the end, GOD is the final judge! Not you! Not me! Given the numerous interpretations of the Bible and numerous versions of Christianity it leaves a lot of room debate. So therefore, in the meantime I will continue to treat others with dignity and respect, and live by Christ's teachings of love thy neighbor as myself to the best of my abilities!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 AM

170 posts, read 203,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Private businesses should be allowed the FREEDOM to refuse service to anyone they choose.
Amen brother!

Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Just like everyone has the First Amendment rights to protest same sex marriage (the California public even voted against it before a judge illegaly legislated from the bench ) via both free speech and the right to exercise their religion.

Why do some people think they should have more rights than others?
I don't know, you'd have to ask them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies