Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,207,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Washington (CNN)Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is set to sign into law a measure that allows businesses to turn away gay and lesbian customers in the name of "religious freedom."

The move comes as Pence considers a bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination -- and just a year after Pence and socially conservative lawmakers lost their first policy battle against gay Hoosiers. In 2014 they had sought to amend Indiana's constitution to ban same-sex marriages -- but were beaten back by a highly-organized coalition of Democrats, traditionally right-leaning business organizations and fiscally focused supporters of Pence's predecessor, former GOP Gov. Mitch Daniels.

Pence to sign bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers - CNN.com

a business owner should be able to say no when it goes against their belief
who are these people that demand everyone's seal of approval for their marriage
this has nothing to do with discrimination but has everything to do with
with infringement
most gay people do not want to put someone out of business it is the radical activist
that are doing this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
What would the reason be? How God punished Cain for murdering Abel, where he put a mark on Cain's body as a sign that others must avoid him? So people interpret that meaning God changed Cain's skin to black?
Noah must have had a biracial family in that case.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:43 PM

157 posts, read 96,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Exactly right.

So if I asked a homosexual owned bakery to bake a cake with "Marriage Is Only Between a Man and a Woman" in red frosting I would be able to sue them on the grounds they were discriminating against a Christian by there refusal? Right?
No, unless the homosexual baker would bake and sell the "Marriage Is Only Between and Man and a Woman" cake to non-Christians but not to Christians.

Anti-discrimination laws don't force businesses to sell specific products and services - such laws prevent businesses from selling their protects and services to some people but refusing to sell them to others on the basis of that person's race, religion, ethnicity (and in some places sexual orientation).

Old 03-30-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
This is just reaffirming a Federal law signed by Bill Clinton in 1993.
This is 2015! Time to move out of, and beyond, the past.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
This law allows for discrimination, which is unconstitutional.
Non-governmental entity discrimination is not unconstitutional.

The best Constitutional argument I can think of against this Indiana law is that it violates the 14th Amendment Equal Protection rights of atheists. The law gives special rights to religious people to opt-out of governmental laws/regulations/actions but does not give the same opt-out right to atheists.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhandem View Post
Apple CEO Tim Cook Warns Of Discriminatory Laws Sweeping U.S.

Apple CEO Tim Cook Opposes Discriminatory Legislation Sweeping U.S.

Apple boss Tim Cook decried in the Washington Post what he called discriminatory legislation proposed in more than 20 states, following a controversial law signed by Indiana Gov. Mike Pence that appears to allows the state’s business owners to refuse service to same-sex couples.

“America’s business community recognized a long time ago that discrimination, in all its forms, is bad for business,†Cook wrote in a Post op-ed. The 54-year-old referenced the Indiana bill that critics say enables LGBT discrimination on the grounds of religious freedom.
If this Indiana law prevails, I think Apple should be allowed to refuse to sell its products to Indianan religious people who discriminate based on their religion.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:56 PM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
To everyone who thinks this type of law is an assertion of your freedom, fyi, your freedom ends where other people's rights begin.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:57 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, I am a homophobe as if there were such a word.

These are not hypotheticals.

28% of homosexual men had more than 1000 partners which I find disturbing and disgusting.

79% of homosexual men say over half of sex partners are stranger. Wow, just wow.

Modal range for homosexual sex partners 101-500. And yet homosexuals demand that heterosexuals view their lifestyle as something that deserves to be on equal footing.

My question is if I'm a baker and don't want anything to do with homosexuals then why do homosexuals demand that I have something to do with them? I think it is all a gesture of making normal people stick it where the sun doesn't shine.
LOL. wow. I have probably 7-8 friends who are homosexuals. I think the average number of partners for them over their lifetime will end up being about the same as the rest of us. Maybe less.

I would love to hear where you got these nonsensical ideas from.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtine View Post
Anti-discrimination laws don't force businesses to sell specific products and services - such laws prevent businesses from selling their protects and services to some people but refusing to sell them to others on the basis of that person's race, religion, ethnicity (and in some places sexual orientation).
But not on basis of the business owners religion? How interesting.

I must not discriminate based on your race, religion; etc., but my religion, etc. is irrelevant. Something stinks. How is it that I must respect your rights, but my right to free exercise (in this case, to refuse to be a participant in what I consider sin, is not protected?

Old 03-30-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
LOL. wow. I have probably 7-8 friends who are homosexuals. I think the average number of partners for them over their lifetime will end up being about the same as the rest of us. Maybe less.

I would love to hear where you got these nonsensical ideas from.
From "studies" conducted by anti-gay hate groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies