Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2015, 06:23 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Agree completely.

Not sure if this law has any real impact at all.

My family has several retail stores in shopping malls. I don't see gays and Muslim, or whatever got discriminated against, AT ALL. I don't even see people look at gays and Muslim in a strange way. We have gays holding hands in public, Muslim women wear full burka, etc, doubt anybody would discriminate against them.

I don't think most people really care.
I assume you live in Newport Beach? I live in Oakland where there is no ethnic majority and one interacts with all types of people. It would be very difficult to live here if you were a bigot, racist, homophobe, etc... I'm guessing it is similar to where you live. Many of the posters here live very insular lives. They are not exposed to the outside world except through AM radio and Fox News. They do not interact with many that are not like them so I think these people DO care. The unknown is scary and a potential threat. We know better but many of these posters do not know any better.

Edit: I was at my local Trader Joe's today. There was a white man wearing a t-shirt that had "Indiana" across the chest. Maybe it was a coincidence but, if not, he was ignored. Some people just want attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I was not aware that cake was a religious right.

Learn something new here, every day.
Is public assistance Halal food? That's already being tested. Religious DEMANDS aka rights.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:28 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
That's just the thing, if they do start a business and willfully shut out a segment of the population they will pay for it via the market. Chances are a business that only sells to whites or only sells to blacks will soon find that they cannot stay in business or they need to change their business model. It's simple and no governmental force was needed. The market can work if people would let it. We don't always need the Nanny State to look out for us.
But considering how much hatred and resentment there is in society against gays, chances are excellent that a storekeeper who puts up "no gays allowed" will get plenty of customer support from Christian right church members to make up for losses from other people.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:29 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,401,413 times
Religious freedom is covered in the 1st Amendment.

This is of course, a bull**** law pandering to the Christian psychopath.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Is public assistance Halal food? That's already being tested. Religious DEMANDS aka rights.
Ummm, what? I'm not following your logic here, please tell me how you get from selling a cake to using public assistance to buy halal food. And why that's germane to this argument.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM

39,198 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I assume you live in Newport Beach? I live in Oakland where there is no ethnic majority and one interacts with all types of people. It would be very difficult to live here if you were a bigot, racist, homophobe, etc... I'm guessing it is similar to where you live. Many of the posters here live very insular lives. They are not exposed to the outside world except through AM radio and Fox News. They do not interact with many that are not like them so I think these people DO care. The unknown is scary and a potential threat. We know better but many of these posters do not know any better.

Edit: I was at my local Trader Joe's today. There was a white man wearing a t-shirt that had "Indiana" across the chest. Maybe it was a coincidence but, if not, he was ignored. Some people just want attention.
Fair enough.

I have a friend who is from Oklahoma. He is VERY religious (matter of fact, he wouldn't date any women who are not religious) I think we've talked about gay marriage once, he said gay life style if still a sin according to the bible, but he is NOT okay with discriminating against them. Something like that. I don't remember his exact words.

Earlier I posted, "most people don't care." What I really meant was "I think most people respect each other boundaries, and are able to keep their personal views to themselves."

Plus, one of the things retailers are afraid of is lawsuit. I am not in the habit of being skeptical about everything, but when somebody on the internet are saying they've been discriminated against when they were shopping because they are **** (insert a word here), I normally just take it with a grain of salt.

I have friends who own franchises, I also know people work for the big chain stores, I've NEVER seen anybody been discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, or religious background. I did however know some sue happy customers. But that is another topic.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:37 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

NO ONE is suggesting that gays be abused. No one is even suggesting a resturant be allowed to refuse service to gay couples. the only issue here is a service that involves weddings. no one should be forced to violate their religious belief.
Where in the Bible or Koran does it say not to sell any goods or offer any services, such as weddings to homosexuals?

Old 03-30-2015, 06:47 PM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
Why do so called progressives hate christians?
Get over it. Christians have rights too.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:53 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
it is not the selling of cakes and flowers.

it is the partcipation in a rite (wedding) that violates ones religious belief.

making a WEDDING CAKE or WEDDING flowers for a wedding that violates ones religious belief is more than the making and selling of cakes and flowers.
I didn't know there were straight florists.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:54 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Fair enough.

I have a friend who is from Oklahoma. He is VERY religious (matter of fact, he wouldn't date any women who are not religious) I think we've talked about gay marriage once, he said gay life style if still a sin according to the bible, but he is NOT okay with discriminating against them. Something like that. I don't remember his exact words.

Earlier I posted, "most people don't care." What I really meant was "I think most people respect each other boundaries, and are able to keep their personal views to themselves."

Plus, one of the things retailers are afraid of is lawsuit. I am not in the habit of being skeptical about everything, but when somebody on the internet are saying they've been discriminated against because they are **** (insert a word here), I normally just take it with a grain of salt.

I have friends who own franchises, I also know people work for the big chain stores, I've NEVER seen anybody been discriminated against because of their sexual orientation, or religious background. I did however know some sue happy customers. But that is another topic.
Hey, I can respect opinions like your friend in Oklahoma. He thinks I am a sin but he doesn't believe in making laws that hurt me. He can think whatever he wants. I'm fine with that. I just don't want him to try and make my life difficult b/c he has a certain opinion. Just like I think he is "sinful" BUT I would not turn him away as a customer. Green talks...

This whole discussion is silly to me. It's unfortunate that there are Governors that would sign legislation knowing full well that it would hurt some of their constituents. In this case, it is obvious why it is written. I agree that national chains are not going to abide by this. I fear for those in small towns where the Mom and Pop places may use their religion to hurt others. To me, religion is meant to help people. I'm sorry to read so many responses that are contrary to the loving message that religion should bring to everyone. I guess we all have our opinions on what religion is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies