Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 07:31 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's their business.

Right.

What can of worms? The right to operate your business as you see fit?

There will be with hypocrites all over the place.
Yes. All that is precisely my point. The same people that support refusing service to gay couples will freaky deaky the first moment a Muslim owned business pulls the same stunt with them.

I actually have no problem with people coming out of the closet and being as open as they like about who they think is fit to be a customer and who isn't. It's a lot less insidious than "sorry we're too busy".

Discrimination happens all the time, regardless of the law. No you can't officially refuse to rent to a black family, but you can tell them the apartment's taken. It's idiot people trying to make a point of their discriminatory practices that come to light with these cases. I'd rather know who I'm dealing with, so I say bleat it from the rooftops, so I know not to patronize the business that you are free to run how you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
apples and oranges.
They are completely separate arguments. In the bus situation that was state sponsored discrimination which is specifically banned by the Constitution.

The other should be up to the business one way or the other.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:32 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
The point is, it's sexual discrimination.
But is it unjust discrimination? The jury is still out.

Quote:
No, I believe they are perfectly capable of addressing those injustices on their own.
Your belief conveniently supports your personal preference, and there is a pattern of effective unjust discrimination that belies your belief. That's why it is society's obligation to afford such protection - even though you don't like it.

Quote:
There will be those who discriminate.
Which is no excuse for rationalizing the transgression. And you know that, so it appears that you're working very hard to avoid admitting that your perspective is lacking legitimacy.

Quote:
Women not wanting men around when they go to a fitness center is not a problem.
Which is why that's not what the lawsuits are about. So now you're deliberately blinding yourself to the reality of the matter we're discussing, even more evidence that you're working very hard to avoid admitting that your perspective is lacking legitimacy. I'm confident that you know that it is the discrimination against the men, specifically, that is the matter in question. Again, the jury is still out about that, but your evasion, at least, has no merit.

Quote:
You aren't forced to associate with the cashier.
Yes you are. You won't admit it apparently because it ruins your narrative. If you don't want to discuss the issue, just say so and move on. But don't expect to have an unrebutted soapbox for obtuse evasions.

Quote:
Freedom of association also means you are free to not associate.
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Neither is true and you have already acknowledged it.
Now it seems you're saying things about what I've said that aren't true. If you cannot muster the respect for another poster enough to accurately characterize what they've said then that makes yet-even-clearer that you're working very hard to avoid admitting that your perspective is lacking legitimacy.

Quote:
You can go to a different grocery store and the cashier can quit.
By your "logic", a Black person can go to a different grocery store if the nearby grocer is a racist. It is not a valid defense against a charge of unjust discrimination, and you know that.

Quote:
Thanks for acknowledging this point also.
It is a shame you wouldn't admit you understand the reference, i.e., that your comment was non-sequitur.

Quote:
Is a business a building or made up by the people that run it?
Neither. And you know it.

Quote:
apples and oranges.
No. Apples and apples.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,252,971 times
Quote:
They are completely separate arguments. In the bus situation that was state sponsored discrimination which is specifically banned by the Constitution.

The other should be up to the business one way or the other.
and it should. This entire thing is hypocritical.
Clinton signed a federal law 20 years ago that is the same thing.
Liberals have short term memory. Where were they 20 years ago?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Yes. All that is precisely my point. The same people that support refusing service to gay couples will freaky deaky the first moment a Muslim owned business pulls the same stunt with them.
I can't say that is true. Seems to me when awhile back there was a story about a Muslim Family that was stopped from praying at the Empire State building the vast majority regardless of political belief supported that. There wasn't many supporting them. (I did)

Quote:
I actually have no problem with people coming out of the closet and being as open as they like about who they think is fit to be a customer and who isn't. It's a lot less insidious than "sorry we're too busy".

Discrimination happens all the time, regardless of the law. No you can't officially refuse to rent to a black family, but you can tell them the apartment's taken. It's idiot people trying to make a point of their discriminatory practices that come to light with these cases. I'd rather know who I'm dealing with, so I say bleat it from the rooftops, so I know not to patronize the business that you are free to run how you see fit.
I do believe that if word gets out that any business discriminates, people from all sides will also rally in not supporting that business. There will be stragglers but a business doesn't survive on stragglers.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
I never hear of these stories from the liberal MSM. You don't hear then blasting it on the news for days on end like this story.
You probably don't hear about it, because most of these cases were settled years ago.
Google Muslim cab driver refuses fare. There are pages of stories about different cases.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:38 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You probably don't hear about it, because most of these cases were settled years ago.
Google Muslim cab driver refuses fare. There are pages of stories about different cases.
Or more likely he never watches Liberal news shows .

Old 03-31-2015, 07:40 AM

and it probably still happens. where are the liberal watch dogs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Ooops, the Indiana House Speaker is having a clarifying vision ... , he just said "It's time to quit defending it. Let's fix it, and move on"..

Old 03-31-2015, 07:41 AM

and I am sure you NEVER watch so called right wing news shows that you call "faux news".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Or more likely he never watches Liberal news shows .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies